COMPETITION: Win the most luxurious ejuice ever created!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
There's surely an adventure in this juice. I'd love to try it out... even if I don't win, perhaps you could post up a "How-To" on how to turn caviar into ejuice?

It's no complex alchemical secret ;) Take a flavour source that isn't directly vapeable (unconcentrated and full of non-volatiles like salt that you don't want in your atty,) and then vacuum distil it to isolate and concentrate the volatile flavour elements. For production runs you need to develop protocols to maximize the yield and optimize each flavour (which is a bit of an art, but it's not one I'm planning to put into production, so I just whacked it through the still at about 20mbar with a rising heat, and stopped collecting when the smell changed, indicating exhaustion or reaction :))

Actually the caviar seems to need less of a vacuum than many - you might even get away with a straight fractional distillation (though some of the flavour would probably still degrade under too much heat - the last fraction from the sea urchin juice certainly came out tasting a bit barbequed/burnt. I'd run that one with a harder vacuum if I had to do it again, and possibly under argon, to reduce the potential for unwanted reaction.)

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
Just out of curiosity: What's the pedigree of the caviar you used? i.e. Which sea did the beluga sturgeon grow (or farm raised)... what colour was the roe.. black, grey, white?

It's farmed (I don't approve of wild-caught, and there's really no need for it now sturgeon is so widely farmed.)
Got it here - only a 50g tin mind ;) I don't think I could bring myself to render down a larger tin than that for a flavour concentrate (it is very hard to force yourself to spoon it into the still, when you've got the open pot in front of you, whispering "eat me" :ohmy:)

Nice and even, slate-grey roe. The eggs weren't as large as some I've seen, but excellent flavour and not too salty. The juice is delicate, but complex - light and fresh, fishy in a good way, and with an almost nutty, creamy undertone. Indescribable really - Perhaps the lucky winner will be able to find the right words for a description that does it justice - I can't (but I know I like it! ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread