Compromised Credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
I was wondering if anyone has recently made any purchases at [edited]? I made a online purchase and used my debit/credit card with them and my credit card was compromised. This was the only place that I used it at and thank goodness my bank caught it and cut the credit card off so it can't be used anymore. Who ever did this charged it at Outback steak house in Alabama and I'm CT. Outback is going to try and find out who did this. If you have made any purchases at [edited] check your statements . Glad my bank keeps an eye on my account and locked my card before they could make anymore purchases.

Last edited by a moderator:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I was wondering if anyone has recently made any purchases at Vapor Shark? I made a online purchase and used my debit/credit card with them and my credit card was compromised. This was the only place that I used it at and thank goodness my bank caught it and cut the credit card off so it can't be used anymore. Who ever did this charged it at Outback steak house in Alabama and I'm CT. Outback is going to try and find out who did this. If you have made any purchases at Vapor Shark check your statements . Glad my bank keeps an eye on my account and locked my card before they could make anymore purchases.

Is that really the only place you have used it, or just the only place online? There have been a lot of CC skimmers turning up at grocery stores, gas stations etc. Not to mention the recent Equifax breach could also be a source. Also the people that do this, don't snag just one personas info then immediately use it. They breach, collect as much as they can over time then start using them one by one. It could have been stolen 2 years ago and just now getting around to being used.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
@retired1, I'm with you on this one. Crooks can just pull your number out of thin air, no need to damage a company's reputation unless fraud can be proved.

Agree.

Just as likely is that the device to place the order was compromised.

Much more likely in fact.

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
Is that really the only place you have used it, or just the only place online? There have been a lot of CC skimmers turning up at grocery stores, gas stations etc. Not to mention the recent Equifax breach could also be a source. Also the people that do this, don't snag just one personas info then immediately use it. They breach, collect as much as they can over time then start using them one by one. It could have been stolen 2 years ago and just now getting around to being used.

Yes it was the only place I used it as it was a new one and my computer is also new. I also have a maleware detector and virus scanner on it. So not sure what happened. Also when I contacted the place they told me they never had a breach before which I just found out as of yesterday was not the whole truth. So this has taught me a few lessons.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
So what did the thieves eat at Outback in Alabama? Did they eat lobsters and steaks and wine.? Or more Thrifty or more cautious with their money and decided on a brunch? Identity thieves are all over the Internet can't blame anybody really. It's the world we live in. The only sure way is to write checks which I never do anymore. My credit so bad nobody would even consider stealing my identity. My bank also protects me against this type of theft. It hasn't happened yet but you never know.

Reactions: stols001

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
So what did the thieves eat at Outback in Alabama? Did they eat lobsters and steaks and wine.? Or more Thrifty or more cautious with their money and decided on a brunch? Identity thieves are all over the Internet can't blame anybody really. It's the world we live in. The only sure way is to write checks which I never do anymore. My credit so bad nobody would even consider stealing my identity. My bank also protects me against this type of theft. It hasn't happened yet but you never know.

This is why I try to use credit over debit.

My grandfather's debit was cloned and they emptied his bank account. He didn't get the money back until the police arrested the guy who did it.

When my VISA was compromised, they spent it to its limit on online video games in Russia. Within 15 minutes VISA reversed all payments, froze the card, and sent me a new one in the mail.

All I had to do was sign and return a single sheet saying that I did not authorize the charges.

Even on legitimate purchases you can get payments reversed. Bought something defective and they aren't willing to take it back? chargeback.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Paypal is great and I wish more US vendors used it, although I believe no one, anywhere, is exempt from possible fraud. Ironically, the less you have, the safer you are. I highly doubt at this point in my financial life, anyone would bother, honestly. But when credit bureaus themselves get compromised.... Anyone is at risk. It's good to know your banks terms when fraud happens. It has happened to me in the past, and my bank was always good about it. Of course, it only happened a couple times, and I caught most of it quickly.

Credit cards tend to be a bit of an easier process though.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The only sure way is to write checks which I never do anymore.

I thought so too, until I paid one specific company by check (it was my car note $316). They made a copy of the check, stuck it in some clear envelop placed a strip at the bottom with magnetic numbers of my routing and account info, and were able to cash BOTH the real check AND the copy. This of course caused other purchases to then overdraft resulting in extra fees. It took me nearly a month to get that crap unwound, and it finally took me going into the bank, refusing to leave until it was fixed, threatening to make a scene, to make copies of all my pay checks and force them to cash all of them twice as well, and finally I told the bank manager what HIS physical address was and that I would be picketing outside his house if he forced me to leave the bank. He FINALLY got it reversed.

EDIT: I should say this was back 1995 or so. I have not have this issue arise any other time.

Last edited:

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Paypal is great and I wish more US vendors used it, although I believe no one, anywhere, is exempt from possible fraud. Ironically, the less you have, the safer you are. I highly doubt at this point in my financial life, anyone would bother, honestly. But when credit bureaus themselves get compromised.... Anyone is at risk. It's good to know your banks terms when fraud happens. It has happened to me in the past, and my bank was always good about it. Of course, it only happened a couple times, and I caught most of it quickly.

Credit cards tend to be a bit of an easier process though.

Anna

I think paypal has policies against vaping and can cancel/reverse the transfers.

In Canada almost all of our retailers accept EMT in lieu of Paypal.

Works just as good, is the safest option, and is instant as well.

“The Acceptable Use Policy currently prohibits use of PayPal for activities that violate applicable law or industry regulations regarding the sale of tobacco products or prescription drugs and devices. We’re replacing that prohibition with new policy language covering these types of items, as well as e-cigarettes. Under the new language, use of PayPal for cigarette transactions will be prohibited. In addition, merchants will be permitted to use PayPal for sales of non-cigarette tobacco products, e-cigarettes, and prescription drugs and devices only with PayPal’s pre-approval.

PayPal - policy update from July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread