Computer Gurus, got a WiFi router question+

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
I am tired of being tied to the wall with a bunch of wires. I have managed to put the majority of my chargers(PV/Cell) through a USB hub hooked to a wall wart(though some won't work), and I got my bluetooth working effectively(mostley, ? to follow). I need to get WiFi though. I am looking at a couple single stream draft 802.11n and I am not sure I understand the connectivity problems associated w/ them. I understand that they can be upgraded w/ the latest version of DD-WRT to replace the Lyksys/Cisco software in the router. My main question is this seems to be a problem w/ older computers. I just got my new laptop two weeks ago. Should the single stream draft work for me as is? Or will I likely need to go to the after market software? If so, any advice on that? I used to be pretty good(amatuerly speaking) w/ comps, but I'm a little rusty and out of date.

Question two: My cell phone software will not function on my comp. I have installed the 10.1 version of Flash(software says I need 8 or higher), but I can not find the Flash software even w/ search. And the cell software will not function. I have the 64bit win7 home premium, Adobe says to install the pre run "square" version on the 64 bit system. FAIL. Did not work. Any advice?

Third: I am trying to charge my wireless/bluetooth Microsoft Mobile Memory Mouse 8000 from an AC/USB adapter, and it is not working. I currently only have 550mAh and lower AC adapters, do I need a 1amp? 2amp? or is it a problem w/ the USB/Thumb drive dongle not being able to connect to a non-computer source?

If you are still reading, thank you for your patience and interest. And TIA for any help.

Last edited:

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
Let's see what we can figure out.

First, the single stream 'N' should work fine for most modern (b/g/n) wireless devices... The catch is, since N is a "draft" standard, there is too much room for manufacturers to claim compliance with N when they really aren't. Worst case scenario, your notebook will work fine in G and be spotty in N. Your cell phone might work just ducky with N. Use it and see if it bothers you. If you don't like the performance, upgrade (that's right - upgrade) to DD-WRT and don't look back. Just make sure the AP you buy will allow the flashing of DD-WRT.

I saw you say somewhere you're using a tilt or some other WinMo phone? What software are you trying to install? Windows 7 has a built in sync center and I think there's a small package you have to dl from M$ to get an older WinMo phone to sync. I'm not sure why it's requiring flash.
Regardless, one thing to check for when installing flash, make sure you're using the non-64bit IE browser. To my experience, the IE(64bit) will not recognize a flash install. You should have both executables of IE available on Win7-64.

As for the mouse charger... You should be able to look on the bottom of the usb adapter and see what mAh input it's looking for. Generally speaking though, most PC-Compliant USB devices are looking for 1 amp so that could be your problem. It is also possible that it is recognizing that it is not plugged in to a pc and not initiating the charge. If you can get your hands on a 1amp usb charger, you'll know for sure... lol Sorry if that's not much help to you now.

If I misunderstood anything or you want to give me more clarification, I'll see if I can help.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Let's see what we can figure out.

First, the single stream 'N' should work fine for most modern (b/g/n) wireless devices... The catch is, since N is a "draft" standard, there is too much room for manufacturers to claim compliance with N when they really aren't. Worst case scenario, your notebook will work fine in G and be spotty in N. Your cell phone might work just ducky with N. Use it and see if it bothers you. If you don't like the performance, upgrade (that's right - upgrade) to DD-WRT and don't look back. Just make sure the AP you buy will allow the flashing of DD-WRT.

I saw you say somewhere you're using a tilt or some other WinMo phone? What software are you trying to install? Windows 7 has a built in sync center and I think there's a small package you have to dl from M$ to get an older WinMo phone to sync. I'm not sure why it's requiring flash.
Regardless, one thing to check for when installing flash, make sure you're using the non-64bit IE browser. To my experience, the IE(64bit) will not recognize a flash install. You should have both executables of IE available on Win7-64.

As for the mouse charger... You should be able to look on the bottom of the usb adapter and see what mAh input it's looking for. Generally speaking though, most PC-Compliant USB devices are looking for 1 amp so that could be your problem. It is also possible that it is recognizing that it is not plugged in to a pc and not initiating the charge. If you can get your hands on a 1amp usb charger, you'll know for sure... lol Sorry if that's not much help to you now.

If I misunderstood anything or you want to give me more clarification, I'll see if I can help.

Great help, that clears up alot. As far as the tilt goes, I am having problems getting it to synch automatically. I have to manually synch through the phone to get it to work. Also, when I try to diagnos the error that win7 is listing, it searches for the appropriat driver but cannot find it. So I was hoping to install the driver disc from the HTC Tilt2. But it requires flash to run. Basically, I cannot synch to the cell from the computer, only the other way around and that is annoying.

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
Admittedly, I don't have a lot of recent experience with WinMo and Win7. I did screw with it a little while Win7 was an RC.
The best advice I can give...

Connect the phone
Uninstall the driver from device manager
Disconnect the phone
Download and install the 64bit version of Windows Mobile Device Manager from Microsoft's website
Reconnect the phone
If it doesn't just work;
Go back to device manager
Right click the driver
Update

See if any of that gets you any further.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Admittedly, I don't have a lot of recent experience with WinMo and Win7. I did screw with it a little while Win7 was an RC.
The best advice I can give...

Connect the phone
Uninstall the driver from device manager
Disconnect the phone
Download and install the 64bit version of Windows Mobile Device Manager from Microsoft's website
Reconnect the phone
If it doesn't just work;
Go back to device manager
Right click the driver
Update

See if any of that gets you any further.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. One more question. I am looking to upgrade my SuperMulti dual layer drive to a BlueRay drive. I found one for cheap, but I am unclear if it will fit. It is an SATA drive from a different current model Acer Aspire, and the come in both higher level models than mine, and also lower models. I assume that my drive is an SATA drive and that this is most likely the same drive that is available in other Acer Aspire AS7741(there is a AS7741 w/ a BlueRay SuperMulti drive) models. I can't find any documentation on wether my comp has an SATA drive. I'm sure it does, just wanted to be sure. I know the bezel won't fit, but the seller states they can be easily swapped. Know any good resources for tracking down comp part numbers? I'd like to look it up.

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
I don't know of a catch-all resource for part numbers of varying manufacturers... and Acer's website leaves a lot to be desired.
I did find this: Acer Computer Aspire AS7741-5932 Specs - Laptops - CNET Reviews

I'd assume if any AS7740 (as acer designates the line) is SATA, then they all are. That link says it's Serial ATA so I think you're probably good to go.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I don't know of a catch-all resource for part numbers of varying manufacturers... and Acer's website leaves a lot to be desired.
I did find this: Acer Computer Aspire AS7741-5932 Specs - Laptops - CNET Reviews

I'd assume if any AS7740 (as acer designates the line) is SATA, then they all are. That link says it's Serial ATA so I think you're probably good to go.

Cool thanks a bunch for all your help. I guess all I would need then is to find the drivers for it, but I have found a few resources for that if win7 doesn't read it properly.

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
I run DD-WRT...and I also have a WinMo phone. Two things:

1) Get a Linksys/Cisco router, and if it works ok, you're fine. Chances are there's nothing in DD-WRT that will improve the experience for light/moderate users and regular-old Internet browsing. DD-WRT is for fine-tuning wireless performance, and other special settings usually reserved for network/firewall administrators and pure geeks. Depending on the router, the N performance is actually slightly better using the stock firmware.

2) If that install disk is requiring Flash to run it's "installer program", there's a good chance that you can go into "My Computer", right-click your DVD drive, hit "explore", and go find a setup.exe or setup.msi file. There's no such thing as a software installer that is flash native. They put flash eye-candy on it to make your installation experience a little better. All it boils down to is a driver on that disk that Windows will need to set up the device via USB. You'll still have to use Window Mobile Device Center to sync the phone, which is built into Windows 7.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread