Confused about NCR18650PF.. Protected/Unprotected

Status
Not open for further replies.

8a31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2011
Cincinnati, ohio
Ok I just confused the &^% out of myself while trying to find new batteries. I have decided on Orbtronic/Panasonic NCR18650PF. The problem I am having is the battery comes in a protected and unprotected configuration (so it seems). Doing a search I can find them listed as 3.6V and 3.7V. THIS THREAD states they are all 3.7v and the 3.6V is just misprinted.

I was going to order the batteries but then notices some sites list them as protected and others unprotected both showing identical part numbers. Then I looked at Mountain electronics site and they list part numbers of NCR18650PF-PROT for the protected Orbtronics branded and NCR18650PF-BT for unprotected Panisonic brand.
My smok SID says to use unprotected batteries but some of the most in depth threads here say NEVER use unprotected batteries.

This brings me to my 2 questions. 1) does the protection circuitry actually matter with this being a hybrid battery? 2) Which one would be the best for me to buy?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with anumber1. Get the unprotected version.

The NCR18650PF is an IMR/hybrid battery made by Panasonic, and Orbtronic re-brands them - either with or without protected circuitry added. The protected version is for flashlights; in fact Orbtronics has a disclaimer on their website stating that these are for flashlights and NOT for e-cigarettes.

The un-protected Panasonic/Orbtronic version is an excellent battery for mod use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread