Confused Old Lady - 50 Yrs Marlboro Reds - Grateful for Any Help, Advice, Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolady

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2011
I am on Indian land
I'm old. I've smoked Marlboro Reds for fifty years. Lots of them.

I'd call myself a chain smoker, except I don't literally light one cigarette with the other. But the time between putting out one and lighting the next one is, um, short.

Due to some health issues (ironically, not smoking-related at all), I've begun having some "smoking cessation ideation."

I have no illusions of any long-term health benefit, but I have been considering that not smoking might help the process of "keeping me comfortable" when I'm invaded by one of those "upper respiratory" micronasties, which invariably takes one look at my trashed immune system, calls all its friends and declares "Part-Tay."

I stand in slack-jawed awe at the people who have stopped smoking using the "cold turkey" method.

They're made of finer stuff than I, but after reviewing the options available, as well as some frank conversations with myself about the various realities of MY situation, I'm strongly inclined to think that e-cigarettes, in combination with medication and the proverbial "support," will give me the best chance at quitting.

I am delighted to have found this website, as googling for actual information on e-cigarettes is frustrating, to say the least, as almost all the returns, into the gazillionth thousand page of returns, are nothing but ad after ad on sites with names like "objectivereviewsbyrealpeopleaboutecigs.com."

I'm also epically overwhelmed. From zero information, I now find myself floating in a sea of it. I feel like I accidentally enrolled in an Advanced Quadratic Equation Theory class at MIT.

I'm old (did I mention that?) and some of the medications I take make me a little foggy (er).

I have read and read until my eyes have turned to those cartoon ones with spinning irises, and my brain is a matrix pattern of alphabet and number soup, hybrids and chargers and e-juice, oh, my! batteries and cartridges and oh! this one is so easy, all you have to do is adjust the rock-arm until the piston indicator reads somewhere between 9 and 10 microns per revolution, connect the gamma cable wires just as if you were performing routine maintenance on a nuclear warhead, whisk the jumper switches through a simple solution of .7% potassium chloride, insert the 4th LED into the simple combustion engine you built in step 27 - and you're ready to smoke!

Unless, of course, you want more flavor, in which case you might prefer to start by assembling a standard rocket launcher-style serial interface (you can use a common hamster wheel for this), and after re-calibrating the cantilever using the polynomial midpoint...

After comparing all that to my half-century old custom of:

1) remove cigarette from pack, place in mouth
2) flick lighter to ignite non-mouth-sittin' end of cigarette
3) inhale

and in light of the fact that I'm

A) old
B) confused and a little loopy

I'm just a teeny bit intimidated, and starting to second-guess myself.

I am, therefore, obliged to throw myself upon your most knowledgeable and awesome mercies, and hope that you will:

1) forgive me for being so long-winded.

2) HELP!

2.1 Am I kidding myself? Is the idea just too preposterous? Could there possibly be a "right e-cigarette" for someone who is:

a: old
b: a little loopy
c: a very heavy smoker for 50 years
e: is neither mechanically nor mathematically inclined
f: poor - and here's the

TWIST: I don't pay for cigarettes. I apologize for mentioning that, and in the same breath saying I'm not able to discuss it, but I have to mention it, because it has a significant impact on the financial aspect of the product-choosing process.

Addendum: I do sit at the computer most of the time. I don't get out much. Doctor, drugstore is about it.

So the USB doodleding sounds like a plan if I could figure it out, BUT -

One of the things that attracted me to the e-cigarette idea is that it also addresses the whole physical habit of holding something in the fingers.

I'm not without some muscle memory, etc association with hookah-type devices :closedeyes: but most of the time, I'm used to holding a cigarette.

So there it is! Thank you for plowing through this.

All advice, opinions, and recommendations will be appreciated.

(If this is not posted in the right place, please put it wherever it should be and accept my apologies)

=================================
Additional Bonus Ramble-Sermonette Combo
(Because it's your lucky, lucky day)
=================================

I come from a time when doctors offered you a cigarette and lit it for you before lighting their own, then sat down and told you when to ice or not ice your stubbed toe.

All teachers, from 1st grade on up, smoked, ashtray right there on the desk.

Once you got to the tenth grade, whether students could smoke in class or not depended on the teacher. With the exception of the chemistry lab, and art class (lotta turpentine spillage in the pre-acrylic era) virtually every classroom had a table in the back, with plastic ashtrays.

If you smoked, and most of us did, you grabbed one and took it to your desk. At the end of the class, you emptied your ashtray and returned it to the table. Depending on the teacher, repeated failure to do this could get you sent home with a note:
"Dweezlina is a bright girl and does excellent work, but repeatedly forgets to empty her ashtray at the end of class."
People smoked on buses, in airplanes, courtrooms, waiting rooms - everywhere. About the only exception I can recall were some religious services. Then people would quietly get up and go stand in the open doorway of the sanctuary or main worship area, smoke, and return to their seats. Anywhere else in the building, offices, activity or event halls, etc, smoking went on as it did anywhere else.

Today, things are different. You know those "faux articles" that are used to spam the google returns?

"Have you been wondering about 18th century German philosophers? We have the lowest prices for brand name 18th century German philosophers. Click here to for your discount code for 18th century German philosophers.."
If you go to the Dr with a stubbed toe today, you'll find that he has apparently swallowed a faux article generator:

"Stubbed toes like yours are caused by cigarette smoking. If you'd quit smoking, that stubbed toe problem you've been having would go away."
Today, if a kid writes a story for a creative writing assignment that contains a character who smokes, she'll be ordered to counseling and child services will swoop down to investigate the home environment.

In Part 6 of his Illustrated Guide to E-cigs, DonDaBoomVape observes that
the intense antismoking attitudes held by a great many people – attitudes and an intensity that I believe go beyond concern about the real health risks
He's right. I'll resist the temptation to hold forth at even greater length than I have already, but the bottom line is that an alarmingly large chunk of "anti-smoking-ism" is nothing but "acceptable hate."

It's the lowest and basest of human emotions dressed up in a designer "health concern" suit.

As harmful as cigarette smoking is - and that's a lot - it's nowhere near as harmful, nor is it responsible for the loss of nearly as many lives - as hatred.

Last edited:

Nicko

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
China
Welcome to ECF. I enjoyed reading your delightful and articulate post very much. Your stories of how smoking was so common when you were younger. I live in China now, and believe it or not doctors still offer cigarettes to their patients here. I hope that the anti-smoking hatred that you talk about never comes to China, but it probably will eventually. The government here recently announced a ban on smoking in all indoor public places. I think they were just bowing to pressure from the WHO, but the ban is fortunately being ignored by everyone. Smoking is as natural as breathing to most Chinese men.

I accidently quit smoking last year when I bought my first e-cig. I just wanted to try one, but then I decided it was much more enjoyable than smoking. Switching to vaping has been a very exciting change in my life. My smokers cough has disappeared and I feel more energetic.

If you do make the switch, you won't regret it. My e-cig is an Ego. It's a great model to begin with and it produces a large amount of satisfying vapor. Of course there's a learning curve, but it's not difficult. And you can keep smoking your regular cigs during the learning process. My best advice now is to order a starter kit with a high nicotine strength. You are a heavy smoker so I suggest 24mg or maybe higher. That's what I use, and I was smoking nearly two packs a day.

Again, welcome to the forum.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Great post, littleoldlady! I remember the old days when smoking was the norm and people put up wit it everywhere. The only place people didn't smoke was church and where oxygen was in use. I, too, remember doctors smoking in patient rooms. My doctor told me once about how he quit and had to sit in a meeting with other doctors who were smoking!

Times have changed. If people were as militant about overweight as they are about smoking, we would all be skinny as a rail.

dordas23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Maryland

vapi

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Ohio
Wow, so interesting to read, thanx for sharing little old lady!

I think these least hassle proof way to start is with a simple 2 piece set up like a kr808-d1, Electronic Cigarettes from Cigeasy - Home of the Easy E-Cigarette has some great longer battery life choices compared to the standard size 808, just a little bigger like an e-go (elegant easy and go-go). I wish I had started with these because I wouldn't have had to pay for 2 other models before this one. All you have to do is keep a cartomizer filled with juice and batteries charged.

The hardest part will be finding the flavor that you enjoy most. After a few more posts you can join in the treasure chest that will offer juices for free that you can try out so you don't waste too much money but I believe we are limited to 1 freebie a month and also PIF, you can trade what you are not interested in for something that you are interested in.

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
What an awesome post! You make up for all the people who think they're funny when they're not!

Okay, onto bidness...

I recommend a KR808D-1. It's a 2 piece e-cig and probably the easiest to use. I started out with (and still use) my Vapor King from Vapor4Life. Great customer service yadda-yadda-yadda. Here's a link:

Vapor4Life-Because it's your life - E-Cigarettes/Smoking Alternatives

"I'm not without some muscle memory, etc association with hookah-type devices but most of the time, I'm used to holding a cigarette."

This is good. Because you will "smoke" your e-cig more like uh... something that would go into a hookah-type device rather than a cigarette (ie long drags as opposed to short puffs).

Vaping isn't exactly like smoking, but it's close enough that it can take the place of smoking and is thousands of times better for you.

Good luck and I hope we hear more from you.

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post. Gave me more than a few chuckles. You have a gift with writing but I'm sure you have been told this many times before :)
I'm afraid I can't help you because although I'm not "old" yet I am told that I am technically spastic by my other half and he's the technical other half that's gotten me to where I am (three weeks of vaping) Without him I'm sure I'd have been as much in a dither about all of this as you are.
BUT... I have no doubts at all that the kind people on this forum will all jump in with their valuable advice and experience and before long you'll be vaping like a pro! (It's really not as hard or intimidating as it first appears.)
Just wanted to wish you well anyway.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
So, you work in the office at Marlboro Inc? Don't worry, we're not judgemental :)

Well, the low-hassle solution is a 2-piece like Vapor4Life (KR8 system).

The flexible solution, with lots of options and an upgrade path, is some kind of 510 system like an eGo, Tornado or Riva. More hassle but more vapor, more high-power options.

The full-on solution is a 5 volt or VV mod with a 510 connector, which will give you all the hit you may well need considering you smoke cartloads of high-strength cigs.

The cheap way to see if you need 5 volts or VV (variable voltage) is to get an el cheapo box mod for about $30 - $40, plus 2 sets of 14500 batteries and a charger. But as you spend a lot of time near a PC and/or mains electricity socket, a 5 volt PT (passthrough) might be a better idea - cheaper for sure.

So you could get for example an eGo/Tornado (same thing) and some LR cartos for driving and mobile, and a 5 volt 510 passthrough with regular cartos for the desk time. You need a bunch of sample liquids in small bottles to find what you like. Maybe someone can give you links to good offers at present. Otherwise, start at Cignot your Midwest Electronic Cigarette store., they have most of this stuff and a very good rep. Here is a page with their PT but I don't know if it's a 3.7 volt or 5 volt one:
https://www.cignot.com/product_p/kit-ego-spt.htm

Incidentally, don't plug a 5 volt PT into your PC as it can't safely deliver 5 volts and can blow the PC. Use a mains to USB adapter.

Last edited:

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
Although the KR808D-1 is a fine device, I'm not sure it's the best one for a chain smoker. The cartomizers will be a constant thing to fuss with filling. I realize that you said finances are an issue, but the devices available with the least muss & fuss cost $100-$250.

There is one new product coming out soon that you might want to look into called the Boge Revolution V2. It's available for pre-order from www.jerseyvapes.com, it is only $69. It's what is referred to as a bottom feed device, & can be used with atomizers or cartomizers. It can be used with the internal battery, or plugged into a USB port. I believe this product is quite possibly the future of vaping for the masses.

Welcome & Good Luck!

KevNewEngland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
Attleboro, Massachusetts
wkevin.com

Erfmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
Arizona
Littleoldlady, I'll call you lol, if I may...welcome to ECF...do you write professionally? Cuz you should...this was really an entertaining read...
As far as the ecigs, yeah, if you spend lots of time at the 'puter, I would def suggest a pass thru (usb doodleding).
that, and a few pre filled cartomizers, and you're all set for starters....but....

there may be times when you wish to be un-tethered and portable, so you might want a couple of rechargeable type batteries as well...
If you want to have the size and shape of a traditional cig, I'd go for an 808 style setup, with some cartomizers.
I think v4l ( vapor4life) has a starter kit that would get you going...

The other option is a 510 style, which is very popular also...

(I'll go find a couple vendor links and edit them in in a minute...)

Both of these styles feature small, cig sized ( well maybe a bit larger than cig sized) batteries that will last a couple of hours before needing to be recharged..altho the pass thru, doesn't need charging at all..

That will get you started, and give you an idea as to whether vaping works for you...

after that, you might want to look into refilling your own cartos, which involves discovering juice/eliquid flavors, which is a whole new world...

I'm sure others will jump in and offer ideas also.
Good luck to you. Im sure you will find something that you will enjoy. Vaping is way better than smoking.

Oh, and happy mothers day..

kyaku

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2011
Central KY
After reading your post, it's obvious to me that your mind is still very sharp! Welcome to ECF!
I've been vaping for a little over two months so I can only share my experience.

My advice is to just jump in and buy a decent set to get started. It doesn't have to be complicated but it will take some effort. Using an e-cig is NOT as easy as smoking a cig but it is worth the effort. You may or may not totally quit smoking but, at the least you will cut down on cigarettes.

I started with an automatic dse801 kit from Electronic cigarette starter kits They leak fluid and you spend a lot of time adding more juice. I still use my 801 daily though even though I've gone on to bigger and better: GO-GO

That said, one of the kr808 kits or a 510 kit might be a better place to start. They are both very popular and you can find parts for them very easily. Later, when you decide if you like them or not, you can go on to bigger and/or better options. From reading on this forum you've probably already noticed that most people don't stop at one type of ecig.

Plan on spending a wad if money to get started. Most people cut down or stop smoking to make up for it but your case is different. For under a $100 you can easily find out if ecigs are going to work for you though.

I have a feeling that you've already read through the 'sticky threads' at the top of this forum. They hold a wealth of important information for newbies and really helped me make the plunge.

Since you don't say where on earth you are, read through the vendors forum and try to pick a well stocked vendor that's close to you.

Sorry I can't come up with more advice but my old mind doesn't work well early in the mornings.

Best wishes!

EDIT Just wanted to add one more thing: remember the less fluid that the e-cig holds, the more you'll be fussing with adding more juice. The dse801 only holds about 1ML, I think, not very much! My Gogo holds about 3ML, much better but doesn't have an available USB cable that you'll want.

Last edited:

jtpjc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
As I read it, littleoldlady is absolutely not a brittle old lady. Therefore I suggest she skips the cig-like 510's and 808's, after all she is a chain smoker and she doesn't want to be bothered with the short battery life. Considering the spunk she has, I would go straight for an eGo type, and a big battery at that (1000 mAh or there about). And considering she is probably a whole generation ahead of us, I'm sure she has no problem fiddling with all the so called difficult stuff, like tanks, cartomizers and what have you. Heck, I would even recommend a nice offensive color, like green or bright red or metallic blue or whatever. I might be terribly wrong, but she sounds as a person who would like that.

Bejeebus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2009
VT ~ USA
Howdy Lol (short for Littleoldlady) - ok so, you are a tobacco heiress... that's cool. I grew up in the 50's. Dentists blowing smoke in my face as they drilled! hahah. We really knew how to have fun back then because there was no one around to poo poo on everything!

I smoked for many years too. Quit for awhile.. started up again etc. I have finally stopped smoking, and now vape instead. I find it very satisfying - so much so that if someone told me I could vape or smoke tobacco and I would be fine, I would choose vaping. That said, I did attempt vaping a year or so before finally giving it a good shot. I tried what is called a regular 510 ecig kind of thing. While enjoyable, it just seemed like not quite the replacement I needed at the time.

A year later (this past March) I decided to jump in for a serious try at quitting. I bought what is called a VV (variable voltage) mod. This is something that will allow you to vape at different 'strengths' (volts) - it needs what is called an atomizer (for vaporization) - and then it needs a source for juice. The VV mod will provide the power supply (usually batteries that are rechargeable).

I also have a 'mod' that is a wonderful thing made of wood - has a battery that will last all day and into the next, and contains a bottle of juice so that I don't have to worry about filling it very often. There are various models out there, but mine is Phidias - made by some folks here on the boards.

Anyway, I guess my advice is: be well supplied before you start to quit. I was rolling my own cigs (filters and all) - so my last bag of tobacco was on the wane - I had enough to be able to have one or two a day along with my vaping. I finally threw it all out. Why bother. This is good.

Post a few more times and, as already mentioned, you will be able to interact on more specific forum threads with the masters of the vaping universe! There is so much knowledge here and people are very happy to help out.

Oh and yes, thank YOU for your wonderfully entertaining post!

Last edited:

LeAnn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2010
Urbana, Illinois, United States
Well right on.....little ole lady! I am alot like you, alot of what you said I can relate to, I smoked for over 40 years, yes I was quite young when I started and I couldn't quite either till I found my beloved e-cig. Now I have been smoke free since July 2010 and never want a cigarette again, BUT now I am addicted to my e-cigs! I love them, I have so many juices and batts that if they take them off the market tommorrow I will probably will be set for life. I do still work and probably will till my dying breat, cause I have this e-cig habit but I don't care! I feel 100 percent better and I love all the wonderful flavors. I don't know how you get by without having to buy cigarettes but it still isn't worth it to keep smoking them. So take the plunge and go for it! It's probably not as cheap as you smoking since you don't pay for cigarettes but it will be well worth it!

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Spectacular writing, LOL. I love your humor, but more than that, you speak the truth about the anti-smoker movement. Thanks for your words. As for what kind of e cig you might like; it's a crapshoot. I am a fairly old lady myself with 42 years of smoking under my belt. I suggest that you try a disposable e cig from Apollo Ecig | High Quality E Cig | Best E cigarette Starter Kits first. It's cheap, and this one is a good indicator of the e cig experience. If you like it, then buy an Extreme Kit from Apollo. I recommend this one because it is two piece, and my bet is that you will go more for simplicity rather than fiddling. I also suggest buying from Apollo because they have a one year warranty that they honor, unlike most vendors I have dealt with who may have a two week or 30 day warranty. Believe me, after 3 years and thousands of dollars spent on trying new products, I appreciate the little things like this. If you want to go the way of the 510 or EGO, then buy from Janty electronic cigarettes, e-liquids and carts - JANTY USA for the same reason that I suggest Apollo. They have a warranty that they honor. Other EGO 510 kits seem way cheaper, but in the long run, that is not the case if you get a dud after a month and have to keep replacing the unit. I have my original EGO battery that I bought from Janty over a year ago. I then bought a cheaper version from another vendor that died within a couple of months. Whatever you decide, good luck. I think you will enjoy the experience. One more tidbit. Don't go into vaping with the idea that you must quit smoking all of those cigs you love right away. Substitute the vape for the cig throughout the day, and you will gradually cut down on smoking, perhaps even quit altogether.

Last edited:

MustQuitNow

May 1, 2011
Delaware USA
1) remove cigarette from pack, place in mouth
2) flick lighter to ignite non-mouth-sittin' end of cigarette
3) inhale

I am 56 and completely understand the 'ease' at which this accomplished. Vaping (less than 1 day) seems very complicated by comparison. I want to 'get it', but so far am having a hard time making the transition. Walking my dog earlier... either reach in pocket with free hand and light cigarette and smoke, or grab longer, heavier e-cig, remember how to push button and inhale (not too coordinated with that right now),... well you get the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread