Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I've decided to dip into the DIY world. Obviously the best place to start is this forum so for the last three hours I have been reading all the various threads about making your own e-juice. This is what is rattling around in my brain: TFA sucks, no, I only use TFA, use no more than 3% flavoring, no, use 20% of the same flavoring, steep 30 days, no, steeping is not required. I think I knew more before I started reading.

My objective is to make a single flavor juice. I'm not ready for 16.7345% banana, 2.4578% sweet cream, 1.6543% em. I am partial to sweet juices and do not like the tobaccos. I want one bottle of flavoring and nothing else. Since I like most of what MBV makes then I am assuming that FW flavorings agree with me. My next order with MBV will be Grape, Peanut Butter, and Butter Rum. I will be purchasing my initial supplies in small quantities from ecig express. They also carry these three flavors from FW.

Are any of these a candidate for what I want to accomplish? If not, I would appreciate suggestions and percentages.

Thanks

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
Along with your flavorings, you might want to put some Sweetener in your cart. I see ECX carries it in the FW line and it has good reviews.
I don't use any of those FW flavors so I'm no help there. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I have a bottle of sweetener that I purchased from MBV to try to use some juices that I didn't care much for. I'm assuming that it is probably FW.

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
Well let's see here.
#1. Tastes are subjective. What one person can't get enough of, another can't stand. So take flavoring reviews with a grain of salt.

#2. The difference in starting with 2-3% flavoring and starting with 10-15% flavoring (I wouldn't start stright off with 20% unless you find a recipe that calls for it) is how strong the flavoring is.
Cinnimon, Clove, and most mints will be strong flavors where you would use the lower percentages. Where as apple, pear, and lighter flavories you will use the higher percentages.
Basically, if you can open the bottle, hold it at arms lenght, and still smell it, start with the lower percentages.

You have the right mind set to start with. Keeping it simple with small (10ml or less) simple single flavors will let you get a handle on the basics of mixing.
There are a bunch of recipes out there you can look through. Like here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/439217-simple-recipes.html for starters.

#3. Find a good calculator that you like such as...... dot1ml | Eliquid calculator & recipe repository .... or E-Liquid Recipe Name . All of which have some resipes in them you can look through.

#4. Practice with a few recipes just fooling around with the calculators to get an idea on how they work.

#5. When you do start mixing do some 0 nic. test batches. That way if you do mess up, and can't fix it, your not out all that much, and your not waisting nicotine.

#6. (This is the most important part........are you ready for it?......) RELAX AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
This isn't brain surgery. If you make a mistake chulk it up to experance, learn from it, and go have more fun.

These forums will start to become more and more clearer as you start figguring more and more things out. There IS a learning curve. But even the trip around the curve can be fun.

Welcome to the great hobby of DIY......Good Luck!!!:thumbs:

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
My advise would be to start small and work your way up.

Start with 10ml of whatever pg/vg and nic % that you normally vape. To that, add 5% (1/2ml) of flavoring. Shake and vape. Not strong enough? Add 1/2ml more of flavor. Too strong? Dilute with pg/vg. You want to get the flavor % right first. On the next batch you can always fine tune the other percentages.

Some people do a test batch with only pg/vg to get the right flavor %. Then do another batch with the nic added.

Good luck, have fun and don't worry. Did every date you went on work out?

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
The grape and peanut butter from TFA are very good stand alone flavorings and you will be able to mix easy. If you go the TFA route, order from Wizard labs. An 8 oz bottle is 1.49. You could get your PG/VG and nic there also, but as stated above, download a good juice calculator to make it easy. Get you a 3 and a 10 ml syring and blunt tips and a few 10 ML bottles. You can get 50 10ml bottles on ebay for about 8 bucks.

Go through a recipies thread. You will learn alot there. I spent about 8 hours of so reading through the TFA recipies thread bforer I jumped in and I made great juices right off the bat following somebody elses recipies.

Anyway, have fun.

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
The grape and peanut butter from TFA are very good stand alone flavorings and you will be able to mix easy. If you go the TFA route, order from Wizard labs. An 8 oz bottle is 1.49. You could get your PG/VG and nic there also, but as stated above, download a good juice calculator to make it easy. Get you a 3 and a 10 ml syring and blunt tips and a few 10 ML bottles. You can get 50 10ml bottles on ebay for about 8 bucks.

Go through a recipies thread. You will learn alot there. I spent about 8 hours of so reading through the TFA recipies thread bforer I jumped in and I made great juices right off the bat following somebody elses recipies.

Anyway, have fun.

TFA from Wizard Labs is 8 milliliter vials, not 8 ounce bottles. Otherwise spot on!

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
I use the FW Grape every day and I like it about 16%, but that's my taste. What I did was to take 2 or 3 flavors that I was well familiar with from ordering from MBV. I made 3 different 3ml test batches of each flavor using 12% in one, 15% in another, and 18% in the last. After a quick steep you can test taste each one side by side and dial in where you like that flavor real quick.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
Thanks for all the replies. I downloaded the "Juice Me Up" calculator a couple of weeks ago and am comfortable with it. I would really like to order from Wizard Labs but they are out of stock constantly. I vape 24 mg nic at 80/20 so I need to purchase at least a 36mg level or higher and they are out of all but one large size. Of the three flavors I mentioned in my first post they are out of all of them.

I'm not in any hurry so I will watch Wizard for a few days but I would like to get everything at the same place to save on shipping.

Thanks again

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I use the FW Grape every day and I like it about 16%, but that's my taste. What I did was to take 2 or 3 flavors that I was well familiar with from ordering from MBV. I made 3 different 3ml test batches of each flavor using 12% in one, 15% in another, and 18% in the last. After a quick steep you can test taste each one side by side and dial in where you like that flavor real quick.

Great idea. When I get my materials that is what I will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread