Confusing myself with mods I can do on my 901, HELP!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkbaitJr

Jul 18, 2011
Madison, WI
So,
I did some research on what PV to purchase, wanted a mini, etc. What I didn't realize at the time is the issue of refilling cartos and just simply that the 901 doesn't seem to have any "power" to it, I simply can't get a good draw or drag from it. On day 2 of owning it, I started to research mods, and came up with the following, which I'm hoping to get advice on a better direction to head. I got an adapter that allowed me to use the 808D CE2 XL clearomizer(from goodprophet, which FYI came with 3 out of 5 broke in the box!!, last time I shop there!!) I had also ordered and am waiting on an LR atty to try as well to see if there is any improvement on draw and vapor quality/flavor. Do i need a battery mod to use these? What do I need to do to get a cartomizer or clearomizer that wont leak all the time, I really like to see that it is full or empty, but I'd rather have a tight seal.
Im also having a hard time finding flavors I like. I usually smoke Marlboro smooths. Ive bought a doublemint flavor that is OK, and a few others that are simply OK (RY4, cherry, Icy menthol...) I'm aware I won't find a direct replacement at all for it, I'm just wondering if anyone out there is or was in a boat similar to mine?!? Thanks in advance for the pointers and help!

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I wouldn't blame GP for your broken clearos. That's quite common for clearos no matter where you get them. Most of mine come that way and I've ordered from a number of vendors. It's a manufacturing issue and cheaping out on the tubes. The tubes are easily replaceable using a 3ml BD syringe tube which is what I do or many just use them in a tank mod. If you want a unmodded CE2 that's more durable get the steel ones.

What type of 901 battery do you have, if it's one of the fat batts it should be ok with an LR atty but still not widely recommened, it will work though and yes, you'll get a better hit at lower ohms.

Most everyone is in the same boat initially as you on juice. Everyones taste is different so it's hard to recommend anything. I'd just look for recommended vendors and get a lot of smaller bottles in different flavors till you find a few you like. Then you can order larger bottles of those.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
clear cartomizers crack and fall apart - not for the average user

I don't like 901 atomizers for hit - sort of airy soft and flavorful though, at least while they work. I had difficulty cleaning 901 atomizers.

510 should may have a bit more hit.

KR808D01 hotter cartos (like Vapor4Life WOW carts) on a real KR808D-1 battery (which are a real 3.7v) should give a bigger hit

In general MANUAL batteries make it easier to get a good hit since you can press the button in a couple of seconds early so good vapor is already present when you start your drag. Less wasted effort, safer from damage by juice leaks, a win all around.

High PG juices w/ nicotine give a bigger hit than juices with more VG (PG lets through hit, VG dulls it). I use no more than 20% VG. What juices are you using? What PG/VG and how much nic?

And if you want the strongest hits you need to skip slim ecigs. Slim ecigs can be damaged by low resistance atomizers and cartomizers, the same parts that give more heat for bigger hits.

Sorry - I know nothing about menthols. But Vapor4Life WOWBoy is a nice juice w/ good hit - a cocoa tobacco with a bit of mint (very little tobacco to me). I use the non-mint version which is called WOWbacco.

Last edited:

SharkbaitJr

Jul 18, 2011
Madison, WI
Thank you both for the info,
Nomoreash-I wasn't blaming GP for them breaking, and had found out beforehand that they were delicate, I guess I was just surprised that I never heard anything back in response after I emailed him about it. I was just expecting that most places would offer to replace them with another package and either blame it off as a manufacturing defect or a shipping damage... Oh well.
Dormouse- with the KR808D-1 battery can you use a 510 atty, or does it need an adapter like I had to for the 901 to 808? Or should I just look at adding that battery in with the 808 cartomizers I'll be looking at getting(not the clearo's this time around!)? Thanks again! Great info on the juices, I'll have to give them a shot!

SharkbaitJr

Jul 18, 2011
Madison, WI
Shannon,
I had heard that at least the rev 4 was an improvement, I'll def. have to get the Rev 5 to try, and do the 3ml mod to fix the clearo's I already have! Add that with a new KR808-D1 battery and some juice and It'll make for another expensive week of vaping!! (If only I can find something that works well for me so I can make the final jump from analog to digital then it wouldn't be so bad or expensive!! ;) ) Thanks!

SharkbaitJr

Jul 18, 2011
Madison, WI
Puffpuff- Can you explain the benefits, etc. of the variable voltage models?? I know they're a bit more than I want to spend at this point until I'm hooked on vaping!! I'm only a week old into this new world, and it's a lot of information to gather while still working 80 hour weeks!! Thanks!

unknown80- About how much were the e-gos?? I'm disappointed I didn't hear about them until after I bought my 901, and I'm regretting not getting the 510 like I originally planned, I just wanted the mini size and wish I hadn't changed my mind on the fly without doing more research!! Thanks to all once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread