Connecticut Call to Action: Multiple bills threaten access to and use of electronic cigarettes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
So it is all about you? Why would you want the choice to vape in certain places to be taken away from you?

Of course. I can control my addiction...It is the society we live in. I didn't vote for the nanny state politicians; most vaping activists did and are now enjoying the fruits of their votes...

Alto101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
North Carolina
Of course. I can control my addiction...It is the society we live in. I didn't vote for the nanny state politicians; most vaping activists did and are now enjoying the fruits of their votes...

I am glad that you admit that you are only concerned about yourself. It makes what you say make a lot more sense. A lot of us are concerned about other people who vape and people who currently smoke who might eventually switch to vaping.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
I am glad that you admit that you are only concerned about yourself. It makes what you say make a lot more sense. A lot of us are concerned about other people who vape and people who currently smoke who might eventually switch to vaping.

I'm not an activist out to save the world. People fight or give up their addictions when the time is right, not through pressure from others...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
People quit when they are ready, and they will find e-nic when they are ready. I've seen far more e-cig commercials on tv than I have seen vapers in the wild in the US.
I'm glad to know that commercials are what drives the world, and saves us all.
Especially when those commercials come from products that aren't really all that effective at saving lives.

My point was about interpersonal interaction.
And about being an example to help others see there is a viable alternative.

You didn't address that, of course.

So it is all about you? Why would you want the choice to vape in certain places to be taken away from you?
That's a question that has no logical answer.
So he'll ignore it.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
UPDATE:

Connecticut Call to Action was updated yesterday.

HB 5449 and HB 6290 are currently scheduled to be heard by the Joint Committee on Public Health on Wednesday, March 11th, 2015. As described below, both of these bills would limit access to, and awareness of, vapor products and severely diminish their effectiveness and appeal to adult smokers.

Please take action now by (1) planning to attend the public hearing and offering testimony, and (2) sending a message to the committee and your state lawmakers urging them to oppose these bills.

Oppose HB 6290 - Send an Email
Oppose HB 5449 - Send an Email

Link to full Call to Action: CASAA: Connecticut Call to Action: Multiple bills threaten access to and use of electronic cigarettes!

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
I wanted to say THANK YOU to all the people who came and testified! You all did a great job and I wish I could have been there with everybody!!

For anyone interested in seeing the testimony, it starts after a nursing bill, seems to be about 2-3 hours long : CT-N: CT-N Streaming Media

Reactions: zoiDman

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Three bills have been introduced in the Connecticut Legislature that threaten the health and welfare of vapers, smokers, and small businesses in Connecticut. At the current time, the full texts of these bills are not available, but it is plainly clear that some members of the Connecticut Legislature are aiming to snuff out the vapor industry in Connecticut.

Of particular concern is HB 6283 which would:

• redefine e-cigarettes as “tobacco products,”
  • prohibit use where smoking is banned,
  • prohibit flavors,
  • impose (as of yet undisclosed) marketing restrictions,
  • enact (as of yet undisclosed) “strict” manufacturing standards,
  • impose (as of yet undisclosed) labeling requirements
  • impose warning label requirements similar to what is required for traditional cigarettes.

Happy to report that after the public hearings held by the public health committee, they voted to draft a bill out of committee and tossed the original one. So while the initial bill would have decimated the ecig industry, the new one just seems to be a ban on vaping in specific places.

It doesn't define vaping as smoking or as tobacco products, no bans on flavors, no other restriction, standards or regulations and as in the first, no added taxation. It does define a "section 2" which is to revisit the issue after the FDA issues it's final rule to see if there is anything else they should do. That being the case, I'm sure they'll be a round two in our future LOL, but for now... not too bad at all :)

AN ACT REGULATING ELECTRONIC NICOTINE DELIVERY SYSTEMS AND VAPOR PRODUCTS.

Reactions: nicnik

Miller319

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
I hope that people realize that you are in the minority here and do not take your opinions to be representative of most people who vape. The statement that I quoted above is absurd and I do not understand why you write this kind of stuff. The only reason I have come up with is that you want controversy and like to argue. In my opinion, no reasonable person who vapes would want vaping to be banned in all places that smoking is banned.
State Moves Closer to Restricting Vapor Cigarettes | NBC Connecticut

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Isn't it funny that all these laws are called "Clean indoor act of whatever", and none establish any limits for pollution of said air, but just ban smoking, and more recently, vaping?

Based on the title, I would have expected such laws to just re-affirm NIOSH/OSHA established limits and ban all factors that are known to systematically bring contaminants in properly ventilated spaces above said limits. From carpet choice to something silly as arc-welding in an office space. But no, they're never like that, they're always about smoking and nothing else. How about properly titling them "The smoking ban act" instead?

Harbinger82

Dec 18, 2014
Richmond, Va
Once they pass something they will leave vaping alone, so they can have all of what is in the bills and I wouldn't care; just not the flavor bans...

I don't need to vape where I couldn't smoke, don't care about warning labels or marketing restrictions. At some point the manufacturers need to step up and act like companies selling ingestible products...

I don't buy e-liquid from vape shops in the US; there weren't even any vape shops when I started vaping...

I'd like to know if the product I am about to inhale was made in the US or China...
The problem with this thinking is that it's basically putting e-cigarettes in the same category as tobacco. While this one is mainly just an indoor use ban, which isn't a huge deal, it opens the door for e-cigarettes to be treated exactly the same as tobacco, such as, taxes, banning of flavors.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
The problem with this thinking is that it's basically putting e-cigarettes in the same category as tobacco. While this one is mainly just an indoor use ban, which isn't a huge deal, it opens the door for e-cigarettes to be treated exactly the same as tobacco, such as, taxes, banning of flavors.

That door has long been open...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ptolemaic_system_T.png

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
CT Governor signs bill (SB 6283) to ban vaping in some workplaces and public places
C G A
AN ACT REGULATING ELECTRONIC NICOTINE DELIVERY SYSTEMS AND VAPOR PRODUCTS.

To find CT workplaces where vaping isn’t banned, go to
Legislative Commissioners' Office of the Connecticut General Assembly
click on “Search the General Statutes”, and enter “31-40q” in the “Section Number” box.

Am surprised nobody posted updates on this CT bill since May, which may help explain why the bill passed.

Reactions: DC2

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Below is CT's current law allowing smoking (and now vaping) in certain workplaces.

Sec.31-40q.Smoking in the workplace. Designation of smoking rooms. (a) As used in this section:

(1)"Person" means one or more individuals, partnerships, associations, corporations, limited liability companies, business trusts, legal representatives or any organized group of persons.

(2)"Employer" means a person engaged in business who has employees, including the state and any political subdivision thereof.

(3)"Employee" means any person engaged in service to an employer in the business of his employer.

(4)"Business facility" means a structurally enclosed location or portion thereof at which employees perform services for their employer. The term "business facility" does not include: (A) Facilities listed in subparagraph (A), (C) or (G) of subdivision (2) of subsection (b) of section 19a-342; (B) any establishment with a permit for the sale of alcoholic liquor pursuant to section 30-23 issued on or before May 1, 2003; (C) for any business that is engaged in the testing or development of tobacco or tobacco products, the areas of such business designated for such testing or development; or (D) during the period from October 1, 2003, to April 1, 2004, establishments with a permit issued for the sale of alcoholic liquor pursuant to section 30-22a or 30-26 or the bar area of a bowling establishment holding a permit pursuant to subsection (a) of section 30-37c.

(5)"Smoking" means the burning of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other matter or substance which contains tobacco.

(b)Each employer with fewer than five employees in a business facility shall establish one or more work areas, sufficient to accommodate nonsmokers who request to utilize such an area, within each business facility under his control, where smoking is prohibited. The employer shall clearly designate the existence and boundaries of each nonsmoking area by posting signs which can be readily seen by employees and visitors. In the areas within the business facility where smoking is permitted, existing physical barriers and ventilation systems shall be used to the extent practicable to minimize the effect of smoking in adjacent nonsmoking areas.

(c)(1)Each employer with five or more employees shall prohibit smoking in any business facility under said employer's control, except that an employer may designate one or more smoking rooms.

(2)Each employer that provides a smoking room pursuant to this subsection shall provide sufficient nonsmoking break rooms for nonsmoking employees.

(3)Each smoking room designated by an employer pursuant to this subsection shall meet the following requirements: (A) Air from the smoking room shall be exhausted directly to the outside by an exhaust fan, and no air from such room shall be recirculated to other parts of the building; (B) the employer shall comply with any ventilation standard adopted by (i) the Commissioner of Labor pursuant to chapter 571, (ii) the United States Secretary of Labor under the authority of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, as from time to time amended, or (iii) the federal Environmental Protection Agency; (C) such room shall be located in a nonwork area, where no employee, as part of his or her work responsibilities, is required to enter, except such work responsibilities shall not include any custodial or maintenance work carried out in the smoking room when it is unoccupied; and (D) such room shall be for the use of employees only.

(d)Nothing in this section may be construed to prohibit an employer from designating an entire business facility as a nonsmoking area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread