Cons of vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worutaa

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
i recognize myself in many of the posts above, but may i remind you that a couple of weeks ago an e-cig exploded right in the face of a man who suffered serious injuries in the face. (btw does anyone know the type of e-cig that was involved?)

Found online:

"Chief Butch Parker of the North Bay Fire District responded to the call. "I have never heard of or seen anything like this before," Parker told ABC News. Although the battery was unrecognizable after the incident, Parker reported finding several 3.0 volt CR123A type batteries charging in the room along with a scorched battery case that appeared to be one for a cigar-sized device.

Although the investigation is still not concluded, the battery type and "cigar" appearance of the device indicate Holloway may have been using a custom made "mod" or modified e-cigarette using stacked batteries similar to a flashlight, said Recio. These devices are unlike more popular e-cigs, which have built in digital monitoring and protections, he said."

From another place:

Rechargeable Lithium batteries (Li-Ion or Li-on Batteries) represent a great leap forward for many lithium-powered flashlight owners, but they come with risks as well as rewards.

The primary difference between the Protected and Unprotected batteries is that the protected batteries have a small circuit board, typically on the bottom of the battery, that stops the charging or discharge of the battery in certain circumstances. Some of the circumstances in which the circuit include: Over-Charge, Over-Discharge, Short-Circuit, and in some cases, overheating.

CR123a batteries, which power most Lithium-powered flashlights produce 3 volts of power per battery for most of their useful life. The standard flashlight configurations use 1, 2 or 3 of these batteries, only exceptional flashlights like the SureFire® M4 and SureFire® M6 use more than 3 batteries. CR123a batteries have been in production for more than 20 years, and they are very safe and reliable. Unless the metal body of the battery is ruptured, or the battery is burned in a fire, these batteries are very unlikely to have any problems. These batteries should NEVER be recharged, they will probably explode if you try to recharge them.

Due to the high cost of powering flashlights with CR123a batteries, the battery industry has developed a new class of batteries known variously as R123, R123a, RCR123, RCR123a, 16340, etc. batteries. Though these batteries are about the same size as the common CR123a batteries, most of the rechargeable batteries produce 4.2 volts of output when fully charged, so they will instantly overpower and destroy flashlights and other devices that are designed for CR123a batteries.

I would assume that they were unprotected, or he was being a dink or both. It's unfortunate but a nice reminder that if you don't know what you're doing it, leave it to the professionals. I'm sure we'll find out more eventually.

Last edited:

N rustica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
I have a tendency for hoarding so it's an opened can of worms. I want to go to a meet and try to unload the stuff I don't want.

The insomnia part for me was solved with a dropper of passion flower extract in drinking water, something I learned about here on ECF. I think it works better than Melatonin.

It looks silly. Even the experienced vapers on youtube look like adults sucking on mommy's tit.

We really don't know if inhaling some of these butter and cream flavors will prove harmful in the future. Google "popcorn lung"

dada

Moved On
Apr 8, 2012
SG / TH
I agree with everything posted. I vape more than I smoke, I like checking out new liq, and I would highly suggest a spending limit. It is very easy to drop a few hundred on mods and stuff. I hope you enjoy vaping and it works out for you.

Remove the nicotine portion from the liquid and there will be no limit for vaping.

sh_

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2011
USA
For me not only the worse thing is that you can easily spend way too much on vaping (juices specially while you're trying to find whats the best liquid for you or you all day vape....)

A big pro for me is that I can vape wherever I like, even on the office and I dont feel like craving for a cig anymore, even on the most stressful moments, I just vape it away :D

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Biggest con I can think of is the lack of reliability in the vaping experience. It's just not as reliable as cigarettes were. Every pack of cigarettes gives you the same exact experience, but I can have radically different quality of vapes in any given day using identical hardware and juice. Sometimes I think it's a matter of astrological alignment and the vibration frequency of nearby ley lines.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Yep to be aware that some of us are addictive personalities is another step forward.

It is actually replacing one addiction for another, although ecigs are *probably* alot safer than analogs.
The habit can become obsessive and quitting ecigs could in fact be a very difficult thing to achieve.

thedigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2012
Dunkirk, OH
I too am new to this, only a week in. I don't notice the dryness or thirstiness because I have always had water or a cup of coffee with me most of the time. So far, the most noticeable con is having to plan ahead. Know where you're going to be and for how long so you know you have enough battery life and carts with you.

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
I too am new to this, only a week in. I don't notice the dryness or thirstiness because I have always had water or a cup of coffee with me most of the time. So far, the most noticeable con is having to plan ahead. Know where you're going to be and for how long so you know you have enough battery life and carts with you.

I had that when I first started. Now I generally am in the habit of filling and charging things to last for a day or 2 and unless I am going out of town it's never really an issue. Just grab and go like I did with my smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread