Wick setup vs. carto setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

_DDMM

Mar 6, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
What's the pros & cons for each? When I first started vaping about a month and a half ago I bought a cTwist w/ a clearomizer. From there I bought a atomizer and dripped for a while(stopped because dripping and driving is a no no) then bought a tank w/ their "game changer" carto(I forgot the real name if it. Kudos for whoever can tell me what it's really called. It a bunch of numbers and letters and I think it starts w/ "C"). Besides that I haven't tried anything else and am curious about the pros and cons of each.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...k-what-primer-juice-delivery-attachments.html

The way I look at the two delivery systems is this: Surface area of the wicking material in contact with the heating coil.

The devices that utilize silica string wicks are limited to 2-4 strings bringing juice (flavor) to the heating coil. That's not much surface area in contact with the coil which in turn means less juice to the coil.

A cartomizer's heating coil is totally surrounded by its wicking substance, the polyfill or filler. Probably 10 times the surface area in contact with both the juice and the heating coil.

Which device would you venture a guess will have the best flavor production?

Add a tank to the cartomizer, and each time you take a vape more juice replenishes the cartomizer for an all day vaping experience.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why do people use wick setups then? Lol.

Because they are simpler for beginners to learn. Open the top cap, dump in some juice and you are good to go. Just remember to tilt the device every few vapes to keep the wicks wet or you'll get dry or burnt hits.

A cartotank setup is somewhat more complicated and has a learning curve, and takes a little longer to do. Because a cartotank is not position dependent, there is no worry needing to do the tilt maneuver.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

Having said all of that, there are fans of the string wicked devices that have not had a good experience with cartos or a cartotank. It's all based on preferences and past experiences. Having options is a good thing, because no one device is going to please everyone.

I've tried both, and am admittedly biased to cartotanks. I had 3 or 4 clearotanks which definitely muted my juice flavors and were often harsh and inconsistant, so I ended up giving all of them away.

Last edited:

havoc625

Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
Louisiana
the only cartos i have tried in my tanks are smoktech.....i plan to try some boges soon im waiting for my protank to come in before i buy anymore cartomizers....imo...i get better flavor and vapor out of my vision vivi nova than i do out of the smoktech cartos (maybe its just me or the cartos im not sure)..im going to try slotting these to see if it helps with vapor and flavor. im using them on a vammo vv/vw device and most of my juice is 60/40 pg/vg.

NewUser-XJ3GT

Feb 28, 2013
gypsy
I like cartos because i am a heavy vaper and i just cant seem to keep the wicks wet. Way too many burnt hits with the wicks. I recently started dripping but since i drive a truck for a living i can only drip when i have downtime, which is often enough. I use wicks for cinnamon flavors that i like the taste of but have a sensitivity to so i cant vape a lot of. 90 percent of my vaping is with cartos. i consistently get big tasty draws. Only problems are they sometimes leak and they get stale tasting over time and have to be cleaned.

itisken

Verified Member
Feb 28, 2013
Dallas Texas

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have a carto-tank Vivi Nova Mini & regular size...how many drops minimum do I use or are drops strictly a dripping technique with its own set of hardware options?

You fill to the wicks on the vivi products, I normally go right up to the bottom of where the wicks extend from the top of the head, just to the bottom of those.

Dripping is done with an atomizer, and normally about 3 drops at a time. That is a different piece than you have asked about, if you would like to give it a try do a search for"dripping atomizer"... read up watch a few videos and give it a go once you get the equipment available. I do recommend every vaper give it a try, you never know if its for you until you try it. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread