Status
Not open for further replies.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
I just got out of the hospital yesterday during one of my tests, although I haven't smoked in 8 months they said "to be considered a non smoker I must be smoke free for a least a YEAR"!!! I said are you kidding? In three months I would be considered a non smoker because it will be a year then. ..sometimes I think we can't catch a break. We stop smoking and are still considered smoking! ! That's insane...:facepalm:

Recycled Roadkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2013
Garland, TX
All of us ex smokers are recovering addicts and

just like recovering alcoholics or junkies we will be

for the rest of our lives

it's been over 12 months for me now

but I'm happy to be able to say

I haven't smoked today

^^^^What he said!

I'm happy to say that I haven't been tempted while people have smoked all around me. Many years ago I quit for a year and a half, truly cold turkey with no aids of any type. I played with fire and smoked just one and boom, I'm back to smoking again.

I won't make that mistake ever again.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Well, hold on to your hat, but should any of us ex-smokers need hospital care in the future, we will most likely be labelled as smokers and it wouldn't matter if we quit vaping. My father in law passed away from mesothelioma (caused by asbestos in the lining of his lungs). Although he only smoked for 2 years and that was 50 years ago, his chart showed "Smoker".

Perhaps it was because his affliction was respiratory related, perhaps it was a peccadillo of that particular hospital/doctor, but never the less....

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
They say nicotine is no worse for you than caffeine but the insurance companies do not frown upon people who go to Starbucks.
morning1.gif
It seems that the smoker has always been discriminated against and always will be. As vaping becomes more popular and accepted, we will still be the center of interest because of the revenue potential our addiction affords the administration in taxes. I personally considered myself a non-smoker right after I finished that last nasty tasting cigarette 524 days ago.
JC_goody.gif

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
You are just a dirty little smoker, sis :). Those two letters "E" and "X" in that order before "smoker" have no meaning.

I'd like to find the farging iceholes responsible for those determinations and EXtensively EXcoriate them with EXpletives, while EXsiccating their EXtremities with EXogenous EXplosives, but I won't because unlike them, I'm not a farging icehole.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
The problem with quitting smoking is nobody thinks you have, although you know it and you now can blow your way out of a paper bag and feel great as a result.

You are constantly bored by irritating people going "how is that? sucking on those chemicals? vaping away?" even though i use fewer chemicals than on the face of the latest tart they kiss goodnight.

there will be a fitness test when we are 60. i like my chances.

T

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Actually, according to CDC, once you've smoked your first 200 cigarettes, you will forever after be considered a smoker, no matter how long it's been since your last cigarette. :mad:

Why not 100, or 237?

Oh never-mind, I'm absolutely positive the Government would never pick an arbitrary number. [/sarcasm font]

Auntie Mame

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Southern CA, United States
I've spent two days this week getting seen and having tests at a regional med center and was very surprised that all the docs were supportive about vaping. The common comment was always something along the lines of "as long as nothing is burning and there's no smoke, no problem. Would prefer you were nicotine free but this is much better than treating a smoker". I also noticed this big red line around the center, it marked 75 feet from the nearest door-smokers had to stay on the outside of that line. In the court yard was a small area with tables and benches with stenciling on the cement that read, Vaping permitted.

jdeedler

Aug 10, 2014
Oakland, MI
They say nicotine is no worse for you than caffeine

Who says that? I guess it depends on which research colleges labs results you look at and what they are testing it on. There are a lot of studies out there to read with complete results regarding the effects of Nicotine only. Until they get another decade of test results in of long term use of Nicotine only on the human body I would not say Nicotine is AS safe as Caffeine or that it is no worse physically.

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I have a huge experience of quitting smoking. Once I’ve been two years non-smoker. But I always missed “drink and smoke” excitement. (I’ll never quit drinking). Now I have vaping, and I have found out that drinking and vaping is almost as satisfying as drinking and smoking. It is a huge relief. Now I do not have to increase my chances to get lung cancer while being a happy citizen of a happy world. For me vaping is not an unhealthy hobby, but a least damaging way to get my nicotine boost.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Who says that? I guess it depends on which research colleges labs results you look at and what they are testing it on. There are a lot of studies out there to read with complete results regarding the effects of Nicotine only. Until they get another decade of test results in of long term use of Nicotine only on the human body I would not say Nicotine is AS safe as Caffeine or that it is no worse physically.

I totally concur that more studies need to be done but from everything I have read, much of which is found here on ecf, it is still my opinion that nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine. In fact, I have been impressed with the articles I have read on the health benefits. With 600 ingredients in cigarettes and 7,000 chemicals when burned, there are 69 of these chemicals that are known to cause cancer. Nicotine is not among those chemicals. So it would appear that common sense would tell anyone that vaping has to be a safer alternative to smoking. CASAA says on their brochure. . . Nicotine itself is no more dangerous to use than caffeine. It does not cause lung disease or cancer. I am confident that their statements are backed with more reliable information and research than we could ever google.

I wish that I had never started smoking as most will agree. I wish it could have been possible for me to stop and not find an alternative dependency. I admit my own stupidity evident by the fact that I smoked for 40 some years. It appears I was never overly concerned about those 7000 chemicals so I think I will spend the rest of my life not overly concerned with just one out of the 3 or 4 I use to make my own e-liquid.

Please know that I am not trying to be argumentative. Normally I am here for more of a "comic relief" purpose as most who know me will attest. Only stating my opinion on a subject that I quite often discuss with passion.

http://casaa.org/uploads/2014-04-CASAA-Trifold-V2.pdf

Nicotine Effects

Nicotine, the Wonder Drug? | DiscoverMagazine.com

Study finds nicotine safe, helps in Alzheimer's, Parkinson's | Tampa Bay Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread