Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
It's becoming a little more clear what the results are when scientific studies are completed without bias.

"Frequent e-cigarette use does help smokers quit - a finding that Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center researchers say supports the use of e-cigarettes as a cessation aid for those trying to quit cigarette smoking. But, they note, an examination of a recent national survey uncovers important clues about who's successful at quitting and why."

Consistent e-cigarette use does help smokers quit, researchers say

Attachments

• Consistent e-cigarette use does help smokers quit.pdf
    223.4 KB · Views: 22

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The study:

E-cigarette use and associated changes in population smoking cessation: evidence from US current population surveys | The BMJ

"Never smokers had the lowest rate for e-cigarette use: 2.0% had ever used them. Recent quitters had the highest ever use rate, 49.3%, which was even higher than that of current smokers, 38.2%."

IE. so much for the 'gateway theory'... and

"Table 3 shows the prevalence of current e-cigarette use. Only 0.3% of never smokers currently used e-cigarettes at the time of survey. Again, recent quitters had the highest prevalence, 19.0%, even higher than that of current smokers, 11.5%." ...

"Table 3 also shows the distribution of these current users of e-cigarettes by subgroups. Overall, 33.7% of them were daily users. Former smokers were more likely than current smokers to be daily users, with the highest proportion, 72.7%, in recent quitters." ...

This tends to show that 'dual use' after a period of time, tends to go to 'former smokers'. So 'dual use' can be a good thing, not something to use against ecigs, as has been done. And dual users aren't the majority of ecig users - something else that's been put forward by the TC crowd and their incomplete/fake news, studies.

"The main strength of our study is that we used the largest representative sample of e-cigarette users among the US population. Moreover, by using the ongoing US Current Population Surveys, we evaluated the impact of e-cigarettes in a larger context through comparing the quit rate in 2014-15 with that of the same population survey from previous years. This provides the clearest result to date that e-cigarette use is not only associated with a higher smoking cessation rate at the individual user level but also at the population level."

...which most here at ECF already knew (with some noted "sticky" exceptions).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That was some of the most important advice I received here early on, "Just don't stop vaping, no matter how much you smoke," and I didn't, and it WORKED. :) Very nice to see a study backing that up, and I have to say, I'm quite amazed at what is getting published in the "Tobacco control journal" these days. I used to have a vague feeling of vomit in the back of my throat when I'd see that journal named and would wonder what study was going to be "provided", that's fading slightly of late... :)

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread