The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Converted APC AAA USB Battery pack

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by BJ43, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. BJ43

BJ43 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 27, 2008
  2. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nice work - shows just how easy it is to do :)

If one can be satified with just the 3 cells, the atomizer could be mounted inside, in the 4th cell position, with its cart end just prodtruding through a slightly larger hole. This way, only the cart is 'sticking out' making the whole thing smaller and less easily damaged by taking a knock.

3. BJ43

Nov 27, 2008
    As much as I vape it would get pretty hot.

4. BeRight

BeRight Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nice work-thanks for sharing!

5. Iken

Iken Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
    PA,USA
    Now thats how you cut out the middle man, how do you recharge?

6. BJ43

Nov 27, 2008
    Have 8 AAA Batteries, 4 on a charger and four on the ecig. Just swap them when they discharge.

7. kinabaloo

I noticed from a picture of the janty stick that they have ventillation grill above the atomizer. While i doubt it would melt the case, I don't know how much you vape ;)

8. BJ43

Nov 27, 2008
    I have been vaping for almost 4 months and have found that for me 5v is best, a lot a vapor and good throat hit, so three batts is out, but I like your idea. I'ii look for a 5 batt box or attach the atomizer to the side. My connector is a very strong tire valve set in epoxy but that long stem sticking out does catch on things.

9. kinabaloo

And it's not only a matter of fragility. Style-wise too, that's the downside of the SD and GG too, looks unbalanced with the thin atomiser sticking out of a much more substantial (battery) case.

In the case of the SD, i would fit the lamp holder part back such that it encloses the atomizer, leaving only the cart extending.

In the case of the GG, a longer tube with the atomiser connection inside.

Both would require a bit more technical design work, and manufacturing complexity, but the result would be much better.

Tinear's design employing a fold-out atomiser is the best concept IMO, although that moving part could be a weakspot. Otherwise, it is not unlike what you have done and in the near future there will be VPs along these lines on the market, although perhaps with proprietary batteries.

Solving the power issue is straightforward. The big step is solving the juice problem - achieving a consistent juice delivery and allowing a larger juice reservoir. That's what I am woking on (prototype works, but I can't make it out of readily available parts, so biding my time at the moment).

* I understand about your voltage choice and you've made a great device that looks great.

10. BJ43

Nov 27, 2008
    Solving the power issue is straightforward. The big step is solving the juice problem - achieving a consistent juice delivery and allowing a larger juice reservoir. That's what I am woking on (prototype works, but I can't make it out of readily available parts, so biding my time at the moment).

I agree with you completely, after trying four different types of carts and several types of wicking material, for me the one peice cart with side wicking and a side hole for venting works best. You have to play arround with the hole size for your style of draw but it pulls all the juice out of the cart. You can feel the air being drawn thru the hole and down to the coil and I use a fairly tight pack of poly material. (aquaclear) At first when it is newly saturated you can cover the hole with your finger for the first draws or don't over wet the cart in the beginning but the hole does work in getting most of the liquid down to the coil.

View attachment 1530

View attachment 1531

11. kinabaloo

BJ43 - I'm not sure I understand what you have done. The second photo seems to show wadding in the air inlet of the cart - is that right?

12. BJ43

Nov 27, 2008
    No wadding in the air inlet, it is that type of cart. 2/3 wadding and the other 1/3 air inlet that is farther up on the cart. I have four different types of carts all with the wadding and/or air inlet in different locations, three are one piece and the last the newer twopiece

View attachment 1536

View attachment 1537

The first is completely round with 2/3 wad and 1/3 air inlet all the way at the end, the second is the same but the air inlet is up on the shaft, the third has the wad in the middle with two air inlets all the way at the end and the last is the two piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.