converting smokers into vapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

casuald00d

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2018
the states of unitedness
i'm just curious, what kind of success rates have all of you seen with converting smokers in your life into vapers?

of the many people that i know who smoke, try as i might (usually VERY casually), i think i've successfully converted just one - a friend. they wanted to quit, we both wanted to quit for that matter. when i finally pulled it off, they couldn't believe it but yet there i was, smoke-free. so i kept bugging them about it... annoyingly, to be honest. and yes, i do recognize how annoying i was (sorry friend! lol) but eventually they caved. part of it was just offering them my e-cig every time i saw them going for a cig, saying something like "before you light that, puff on this and then tell me that you still want a cigarette." at first, they'd puff it a bit, say they liked it, but then they'd eventually light up a cigarette. that was basically how it was up until i bought some creme brulee e-juice and shared it with them. apparently, that's all it took. while the mint is my thing and i never bought the creme brulee again (yuck lol), apparently all she needed was a flavor that fit her tastes and she was sold. within days of puffing on the creme brulee, we went out and bought her first vape. these days, she's a full time vaper and like me, can't believe that either of us has actually quit smoking lol.

that is my one success story lol but i'd love to hear all of yours! ready, set, share!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I might bring the subject up when around smoker friends or family by asking if they had considered vaping instead of smoking. If they show any interest, I give a little more education about vaping and offer some personal assistance. If they don't show any interest, I drop the subject and won't bring it up again.

I have a younger sister who smoked for years, admitted that she didn't really like the taste of cigarettes, but it took her a couple of years before she asked for advice on what starter setup she should get. At that point, we drove 60 miles to a decent vape shop so that she could see first hand what was available. She ended up with a iStick 30 watt and a Mini Nautilus tank. Four years later she is using the same type of mod and tanks. She recently fell off of the wagon after her beloved pet dog died, but my guess is after her grief has passed she will return to vaping. Her problem is her significant other smokes, has no interest in vaping, and actually makes fun of her vaping. Real supportive guy. :facepalm:

I have a nephew-in-law who began vaping about three years ago. He's a dual user and a certified cloud chaser. He bought a $10 hybrid-top mechanical mod and he didn't really understand the difference between a hybrid top vs. a 510 mech until I explained it to him. I probably saved him from a catastrophe as he was planning to put a RDA without an extended center pin on it.

My daughter wanted a vape setup for her 18th birthday about 3 years ago. All her close friends, boyfriend, and older brother all smoked. She didn't smoke, but wanted to vape when "hanging out" with them like young adults do. She wanted to vape 0-nic flavored e-liquid. She got her vape setup for her birthday. Many of her friends soon transitioned from smoking to vaping, including her brother and boyfriend. Funny how my son didn't take Dad's advice to vape, but once his Sister began the vape it was now cool. He and the long time boyfriend still vape (3 years later).

My ex-wife is still a closet smoker (we are still friends). I've offered to help her to get started vaping but she's just not ready to make that decision.

A few years ago I worked in a vape shop for a year. I've probably helped hundreds of smokers convert to vaping. If I learned anything from that experience, its that each individual needs to sincerely WANT to quit and be totally DEDICATED to quit. Vaping is arguably more difficult than smoking, with new words to understand and requires some organization skills to keep a vape device up and running. Vaping can be frustrating to a new vaper.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I haven't converted anyone because horses and water. I have however provided free equipment, free juice and extensive advice to people who wanted to stop smoking and start vaping. Under those conditions I have helped 7 friends and work colleagues to become happy vapers.
I would like to think that the advice I give here on ECF has helped many more, but who knows.

Last edited:

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I haven't converted anyone yet (doubt if there are many smokers left in my social circle now, most are dual use folks). As a recent convert though, here are my observations:
  • I was really mystifyed by the whole vaping thing. I tried a couple of e-pens (MTL) which were a waste of money. I even tried a friend's vape at work (A MTL device that left me coughing my lungs out for 20 minutes). To me, it was the same paradox that non-smokers have with smokers - "Why on earth would you do that?"
  • Loads of friends verbally recommended vaping, but it was like water off a ducks back. I didn't get it. Everyone else was moving over to vapes (even at the smokers den there was only a handful of hard core smokers, we were easily outnumbered). It was there I encountered my first proper mod, although the chap didn't explain he was vaping differently (DTL). Looking back, it's obvious he was a cloud chaser, but if he'd explained that, I would be proabably be on the vape trail a lot sooner. I didn't ask, didn't know what I didn't know, and out of politeness didn't bore him to tears with my bad experiences.
  • The revelation came when my brother in law let me play with his Smok he was using for DTL. He'd also messed around with pen and cart vapes in the past and he let me try them as well. He had an on-off relationship with vaping for ages, but seemed really sorted. It was the fact he allowed me to experiment with his device for an hour that convinced me, I went out and bought my Reuleaux the same afternoon. Not looked back since.
  • The key to all of this is relationship. Ironically, I didn't really want to give up at that point, for me it is a process where vaping will inevitably push the cigarettes out completely. If I had approached it with that level of determination, I can see me failing again. By sticking to a low limit (5 RYO per day), I can see vaping strangling the smoking urge until it drops off like a dead branch from a tree. The building blocks are all there, relationship with the vape, discovering DTL, getting it. Unless the vape store you go to is really patient, willing to invest a lot of time with the customer and let them experiment until the experience clicks, while I can see folks starting out, I don't see them staying the path.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
3 so far. One, my mil, I got a cigalike for, because she was going to be in the hospital and not allowed to smoke.

Which made me decide to get a kit and try.

Seeing me vaping and quitting, my husband and sil asked me to set them up. And I did. My husband passed away as did my mil, but my sil remains smoke free.

Personally, I’m not the smoking police, and I have not ever asked anyone if they’re interested in vaping. If they ask me, I’ll gladly answer any questions. I offer to go to a vape shop with them, show them my collection, help them buy gear, or would even lend them mine if they asked.

But they have to want to quit, and they have to initiate the conversation.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
I'm still trying to tactfully convert, but not coerce, my dad into a vaper. He's almost 70 years old. I haven't gotten to the phase of confronting him yet of his closet smoking (he lives 600 miles away, i want to do it in person) My strategery I've formed in my head so far, is to simply ask him if he would ever be interested in vaping instead, if he bites my line, I'm ready to set him up, and help him every step of the way. I usually don't vape around my parents, but they know I've quit cigarettes and vape instead.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
My strategery I've formed in my head so far, is to simply ask him if he would ever be interested in vaping instead, if he bites my line, I'm ready to set him up, and help him every step of the way. I usually don't vape around my parents, but they know I've quit cigarettes and vape instead.

I think that's all you can really do. You can't create the motivation if it isn't there, and it won't work without it. On the other hand, there's a lot you can do to help someone who's actually interested.

I don't know if I've helped convert anyone. I've talked about it and given links and advice to a distant relative and two complete strangers who approached me when they saw me vaping.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My son converted me by quitting vaping and giving me his vaping gear. I was stupendously ill at the time, so it didn't take that MUCH to get me to drink, but I will admit there was a certain amount of "Oh heck, MY KID can go from smoking to vaping to nothing and I'm going to get COPD and I can't even try?"

He knew I dual used in the past he didn't say anything just gave it to me..

I have had a stupendous LACK of success at converting ANYONE including my dear husband who decided to give vaping a try oh NEW YEARS day. He is vaping more guess that is progress.

I have helped out several new vapers with gear and equipment (and have donated to the VA) and that's just as good in my opinion. The generosity of the ECF community to me when I was new was pretty epic, so just passing it along.

Starting vaping isn't SO hard, staying the course and remaining interested is JUST as hard. When I fell off the cigarette wagon hard a few months ago, member's encouragement was just as fantastic.

It doesn't have to be someone you see or even know in RL that may help you the most. Etc.

Anna

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I converted by brother in law but he wanted to quit smoking and was interested in vaping so it was pretty easy. Took him to a vape shop and got him set up. He dual used for a few months and is now smoke free for about a year. I take full credit for it even though I had very little to do with it. :)

Now I'm working on my MIL.

casuald00d

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2018
the states of unitedness
You can lead a horse to water, but don't complain when they choose Pepsi.

I try to lead by example, not by suggestion. If one asks I'll advise, but to try to convert smokers? Eh, I don't want to be that guy.

i'm that guy riding a bicycle to your house in a suit and knocking on your door to tell you how jesu... i mean- how vaping saves lives!:D

Reactions: Mowgli

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
But they have to want to quit, and they have to initiate the conversation.

I actually found that the most difficult part of the process of trying to give up. I must have tried seriously at least 10 times, and more often than not that has been message from healthcare professionals etc. What I found is the harder I tried, the more entrenched I sunk back into smoking when I failed. Cold turkey was the worse by far, I put myself through hell for a week or so until the worst of the symptoms subsided, then something would knock me off my horse, I'd have a cigarette and my internal dialogue would be "That's better. Why did I even bother?", along with a liberal dose of self hatred and guilt.

I think too much emphasis is sometimes placed on willpower rather than understanding. There can't be a smoker alive that doesn't realise it is bad for you, and certainly in Europe and the US smokers are now looked upon as outcasts. The turning point for me was when I realised I would always be a smoker but I didn't necessarily have to smoke. I was then able to do a deal with myself, and look towards other coping mechanisms. NRT worked for a bit, but left me vulnerable to getting back on the tobacco train. I needed something deeply personal, that filled that cigarette shaped space in my life. Or to put it in other terms, smoking was so much a part of my identity it was imperative that I had some sort of internal crutch or scaffolding to stop me eventually caving in on myself.

Vaping has done that so far for me. Unlike any of the other incentives [Money, health, social stigma etc.]. They might work for some folk, but when the chips were down, those motives always failed me.

I'm convinced there is always a much deeper reason why people who smoke, do so. I had two friends who died of smoking related disease, and they smoked to the bitter end, even while on oxygen. If vaping was around when they were, they might have had a chance.

So yes I agree, it is important as non-smokers not to be too evangelical about vaping. At the same time though, those who had the most impact on me were those who could see through the whole smoking thing, didn't judge, and realised that tobacco was just a symptom of something much deeper. Their unconditional acceptance of me, regardless of my success or failure, meant more than anything else.

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
I'm trying to at the moment.A good friend of mine just got out of the hospital after having a major heart attack and having some stents installed (three I think) he's a pack or so a day smoker and told me he wants to quit....sort of.Anyhow I fixed him up with a mod an 18650 battery an ego one atomizer with coils and a bottle of juice and left him at it.The following week I asked if he'd given the vape a go to which he replied ...not really.

I really do hope he gives it an honest try.

casuald00d

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2018
the states of unitedness
Wife
Stepson
Quite a few friends
helped many others but lost touch
A friend that I taught to DIY has helped quite a few switch up where he lives

that's fantastic but you know what's really awesome? your profile pic. i mean, is that a cat wearing a hat and sunglasses with a giant silver bell hanging from his neck while he's perched up on a fence (aka the coolest cat ever)? or what am i even looking at cause that's wild lol

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
that's fantastic but you know what's really awesome? your profile pic. i mean, is that a cat wearing a hat and sunglasses with a giant silver bell hanging from his neck while he's perched up on a fence (aka the coolest cat ever)? or what am i even looking at cause that's wild lol
Thanks but this is wild...A Facebook friend replied the same day I started using that as my profile picture
"That's funny...this came up in my memories feed today.
My good old boy Duke
1f60a.png
"
29260935_10210545022517939_7986039190632529920_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: stols001

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
I'm trying to at the moment.A good friend of mine just got out of the hospital after having a major heart attack and having some stents installed (three I think) he's a pack or so a day smoker and told me he wants to quit....sort of.Anyhow I fixed him up with a mod an 18650 battery an ego one atomizer with coils and a bottle of juice and left him at it.The following week I asked if he'd given the vape a go to which he replied ...not really.

I really do hope he gives it an honest try.

I have a friend in a similar position, the heart attack was the springboard for him to give up, not sure what method he used. He's done really well, even managed to stay off tobacco when he lost his partner which devastated him. I haven't seen him in a while, he may have vaped at some point and then stopped, I know his son gave up smoking that way.

It could work either way for your friend. The HA may be enough for him to take stock, or it may have been such a shock that he is clinging even tighter to the tobacco. See how he goes over the next few weeks, I'll be surprised if the doc hasn't also recommended other major changes [e.g. diet, exercise, medication] etc. If he is taking these seriously, that might be your next opening gambit [Oh you've done so well losing weight, etc.]. If not, I can bet he is probably getting grief from all sides, so any direct approach about smoking will just bounce off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread