Cotton candy taste issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeylikey

Jul 26, 2017
Alright. I love bc fog.. but everytime I buy cotton candy flavoring it taste kind of burnt and bitter. No matter the quantity I use to mix.

I bought blue raspberry cotton candy by Capella. Never made a single flavor recipe before. But sounds pretty straight forward. So I mixed 70/30 VG/PG dropped 10% brcc in it and 1% sweetener. And it taste good. But the cotton candy taste bitter/burnt. Not sweet. I can taste the raspberry and it's good.

I know it's not my nic. I made a strawberry cream and a menthol grapefruit with same batch and both came out excellent. It's only when I mix with a cotton candy this happens. Anyone know Why?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It could be that flavor just tastes that way to you, have you tried other flavoring company's cotton candy at all? Or maybe that flavor wants to be vaped at a different wattage. How long did you steep it, as fruits often taste okay without too much steeping while others require more, and you might try steeping it with the top off some, it might have some alcohols in it giving it a burnt and bitter taste.

It might be a totally different reason, but that's about all I got. Good luck :)

Anna

Reactions: thetrucker

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I view cotton candy more as an enhancer than as a stand alone. I don't think it taste all that much like CC myself. It has the ability to bring out the sweetness in other juices.

If I were to take a stab at something that tasted like a true Blue Ras CC I would try something like:

FW Blue 3%
Pick your Ras 3%
BlueRas CC 5%
TFA Bav. cream 1-2%

You shouldn't need a sweetener so try it without first, add if needed, or you could up the cream a little.

Mikeylikey

Jul 26, 2017
Thanks a bunch. Yeah it's not my main ingredient by a long shot. It's not that in depth I don't think.

I will try a different brand of CC. But I'm starting to think it's my personal taste buds. I've had a few people try it and they like it. It may just be me.

But at the same time. I can smoke premium labs bc fog and it tastes great. So far the only cotton candy e juice I can seem to smoke

Mikeylikey

Jul 26, 2017
I view cotton candy more as an enhancer than as a stand alone. I don't think it taste all that much like CC myself. It has the ability to bring out the sweetness in other juices.

If I were to take a stab at something that tasted like a true Blue Ras CC I would try something like:

FW Blue 3%
Pick your Ras 3%
BlueRas CC 5%
TFA Bav. cream 1-2%

You shouldn't need a sweetener so try it without first, add if needed, or you could up the cream a little.
I'm going to try that mix and see what I get out of it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Alright. I love bc fog.. but everytime I buy cotton candy flavoring it taste kind of burnt and bitter. No matter the quantity I use to mix.

I bought blue raspberry cotton candy by Capella. Never made a single flavor recipe before. But sounds pretty straight forward. So I mixed 70/30 VG/PG dropped 10% brcc in it and 1% sweetener. And it taste good. But the cotton candy taste bitter/burnt. Not sweet. I can taste the raspberry and it's good.

I know it's not my nic. I made a strawberry cream and a menthol grapefruit with same batch and both came out excellent. It's only when I mix with a cotton candy this happens. Anyone know Why?

I'm not a Big Fan of Ethyl Maltol in DIY Mixes.

It just doesn't do enough as a Flavoring. And it Doesn't sweeten things to the level I want before making the Mix taste like Chemical Meh.

• Agree

Mikeylikey

Jul 26, 2017
I'm not a Big Fan of Ethyl Maltol in DIY Mixes.

It just doesn't do enough as a Flavoring. And it Doesn't sweeten things to the level I want before making the Mix taste like Chemical Meh.

Chemical taste is a perfect description of what I get out of cotton candy. I made 250 mils of it.. any way to save it?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Chemical taste is a perfect description of what I get out of cotton candy. I made 250 mils of it.. any way to save it?

You could do 30ml Mix without the Cotton Candy and then combine it with 30ml of what you have. Might Help?

But sometimes it's just Better to Toss what you have and Start Over.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
It’s been a long road for me finding a cotton candy flavor that I like. I’ve tried countless flavors and 5 pre-mixed ejuices). So far the best I’ve found is TFA cotton candy and that is just okay. I’m still searching for the perfect cotton candy (pre-mixed or DIY). Or maybe I’m just too picky.
Good luck!

Mikeylikey

Jul 26, 2017
It’s been a long road for me finding a cotton candy flavor that I like. I’ve tried countless flavors and 5 pre-mixed ejuices). So far the best I’ve found is TFA cotton candy and that is just okay. I’m still searching for the perfect cotton candy (pre-mixed or DIY). Or maybe I’m just too picky.
Good luck!
Have you had premium labs bc fog?

Mikeylikey

Jul 26, 2017
This thread talks about the impressions people get from too much Ethyl Maltol which is the chemical name for what creates the cotton candy taste. Half a percent is the norm for EM. 1% or more can create some strange flavor variances.

What does too much Ethyl Maltol taste like?
Yeah right on that helps alot. Instead of buying a blue raspberry cotton candy. I'll buy the blue raspberry and cotton candy separate.

I have strawberry. I'll throw some in a 30 mil. See if it improves it

VAPIN WHAT!!! LOL

Feb 22, 2017
It could be that flavor just tastes that way to you, have you tried other flavoring company's cotton candy at all? Or maybe that flavor wants to be vaped at a different wattage. How long did you steep it, as fruits often taste okay without too much steeping while others require more, and you might try steeping it with the top off some, it might have some alcohols in it giving it a burnt and bitter taste.

It might be a totally different reason, but that's about all I got. Good luck :)

Anna

That's just the way CC is if you use too much. It's a very fine line to get just right.
It's definitely the CC, I heard it happens and it happened to me. Try again at a much lower % or mix more VG to try and save it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread