Cotton Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bram_LMR

Jun 5, 2018
Hi.
I have a problem with my cotton in my Recoil Rebel rda
I have 2 ni80 fused claptons at 0.2 ohm in it and i vape it at around 80-90 watts.
But since ive bought it i keep getting the same problem.
My cotton keeps getting dark at both sides where the coil goes in to the top posts.
Ive tried some different coils, putting them higher or lower, different wattage, different cotton. But nothing seems to fix my problem.
I know the juice i vape darkens the cotton faster than normal but i can vape for 2-3 days and then i have to rewick. My friends last much longer with their cotton.
they cant help me in the store so im trying it over here.
I hope anyone can help me or have some tips for me.

The cotton on the pictures is just 15 minutes in it and already showing dark spots. That can't be normal right?
20180605_162100.jpg
20180605_160327.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi.
I have a problem with my cotton in my Recoil Rebel RDA
I have 2 ni80 fused claptons at 0.2 ohm in it and i vape it at around 80-90 watts.
But since ive bought it i keep getting the same problem.
My cotton keeps getting dark at both sides where the coil goes in to the top posts.
Ive tried some different coils, putting them higher or lower, different wattage, different cotton. But nothing seems to fix my problem.
I know the juice i vape darkens the cotton faster than normal but i can vape for 2-3 days and then i have to rewick. My friends last much longer with their cotton.
they cant help me in the store so im trying it over here.
I hope anyone can help me or have some tips for me.

The cotton on the pictures is just 15 minutes in it and already showing dark spots. That can't be normal right?

Hi Bram_LMR. Welcome to the ECF. That Doesn't look all that Un-Normal to me.

How is the Taste?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No it's probably your wick needing replacing. Either your friends are using different wicking material, vaping at lower wattage, or are using less gunky juice. Once the taste goes, it is time to rewick.

Rayon withstands higher heat for longer and tends to last longer than cotton overall. You may want to try it. There is a long rayon thread where you can get more information on it if you are interested.

Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Best of luck

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks for the quick reply.
The taste is just how its supposed to be. But after a day or 2 the cotton is really dark and the flavour goes soft and feels sharp.
Could it be oxidation? or maybe because the cap gets hot?
Im still kinda new to vaping and this is my first RDA.
Between high watts and sweet juice this too is not a problem, just the nature of the beast.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the quick reply.
The taste is just how its supposed to be. But after a day or 2 the cotton is really dark and the flavour goes soft and feels sharp.
Could it be oxidation? or maybe because the cap gets hot?
Im still kinda new to vaping and this is my first RDA.

If you pulled off the Cover to the RDA I'm using right now you would be Shocked. Because the Coil looks like a piece of Licorice with a wad of Dryer Lint soaked in Pond Water stuck thru the center of it.

But it is Hitting like a Flavor Machine.

Your Cotton is going to Darken. That is Normal. Especially in a RDA. But as long as the Flavor is holding up, I wouldn't worry about it.

What kind of Wattages do you tend to run those Claptons at? And how many ml's of e-Liquid do you go thru (on average) in 2 Days with this set-up?

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
If you pulled off the Cover to the RDA I'm using right now you would be Shocked. Because the Coil looks like a piece of Licorice with a piece of Dryer Lint soaked in Pond Water stuck thru the center of it.

Your Cotton is going to Darken. That is Normal. Especially in a RDA. But as long as the Flavor is holding up, I wouldn't worry about it.

What kind of Wattages do you tend to run those Claptons at? And how many ml's of e-Liquid do you go thru (on average) in 2 Days with this set-up?

Had to laugh. OP would be shocked at the state of my cotton when I pull it out. Love your description!

Bram_LMR

Jun 5, 2018
If you pulled off the Cover to the RDA I'm using right now you would be Shocked. Because the Coil looks like a piece of Licorice with a piece of Dryer Lint soaked in Pond Water stuck thru the center of it.

Hi.
I run them from 75 to around 90 watts and i don't really know how much ml i use.
I think about 10 ml average in 2 days. It really depends on the day.
i mostly use my Pharaoh Mini RTA

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi.
I run them from 75 to around 90 watts and i don't really know how much ml i use.
I think about 10 ml average in 2 days. It really depends on the day.
i mostly use my Pharaoh Mini RTA

Gotcha.

You might try doing some Experimenting with things like Less Cotton, or Shorter Tails or Tapered Tail or some Combination of a bunch of Stuff.

But at the End of the Day, even if the Coil looks like Toxic Waste, as long as the Hit Tasted Good, that's all that really matters.

Bram_LMR

Jun 5, 2018
Gotcha.

You might try doing some Experimenting with things like Less Cotton, or Shorter Tails or Tapered Tail or some Combination of a bunch of Stuff.

But at the End of the Day, even if the Coil looks like Toxic Waste, as long as the Hit Tasted Good, that's all that really matters.

Thanks.
I rewicked it, less cotton and shorter tails.
And so far no dark spots. so i think its because the cap was touching the cotton.

So thank you and everybody else for helping me.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Had to laugh. OP would be shocked at the state of my cotton when I pull it out. Love your description!
You should see mine after 2 or 3 day of vaping smash mouth. Who would think that a golden colored strawberry cupcake juice would turn coal black that quick, lol. Changing out wicks on rebuildables every couple days is perfectly normal and acceptable. And to keep your flavors tasty and wonderful, it is also advisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread