The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cotton taste when I vape

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by DS3thevapenoob, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. DS3thevapenoob

DS3thevapenoob New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Hello guys I just built my first coil today and I noticed that I’m getting a cotton under tone when I vape I was wondering if anyone could answer why that is or is it just that I used too much cotton

• Like Like x 2
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The first few vapes will have a cotton taste, but it goes away. If it bothers you a lot you can try rayon.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. 93gc40

93gc40 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    California
    What's the build wha t s t he atty how are you firing it?

Kinda basic detail required... otherwise all I got is release tje fire button sooner.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AsComaDIM

AsComaDIM New Member

Dec 25, 2016
    It happens when using organic cotton.

5. DS3thevapenoob

DS3thevapenoob New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    I’m using a TFV12 prince with the rba section

• Like Like x 1
  6. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I don't know about that SMOK but the TFV4 took a while to break coils in. It's normal.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Something that will hel a little bit is put a drop or two of juice on the wick right before you pull it into the coil. It does take a bit for the cotton to get completely saturated and broke in.

8. dud010101

dud010101 New Member

Sep 1, 2018

this is how you can remove initial cotton taste

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. dud010101

dud010101 New Member

Sep 1, 2018
    you can also boil cotton lots of vid on how to

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. 93gc40

93gc40 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Boiling will not remove or prevent cotton taste.. it will remove other possible flavors like bleach and peroxide and it make the cotton absorb and transport juice better.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Cotton (and rayon) have a break in period and the method of saturating your coil and wick and firing it on your ohm's reader will certainly help I do that with my rayon which (I personally) think has a shorter break in period.

With that said can you post a pic of your build? I mean, you may be MASSIVELY overwicking to the point that all you are tasting is cotton, and in that case, your wick may (or may not) need some attention but it would be something to rule out, etc.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Vik171

Vik171 Full Member

May 21, 2018
    Australia
    I had the same when I was using some free cotton that came with my coilmaster kit. I switched to Kendo Vape Cotton - Gold Edition and through some experience now I kind of know how much cotton to use. I don't taste anything now and it tastes great from first vape.

• Like Like x 2
  13. r055co

r055co Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Missing a lot of critical details here like what cotton and Brand are you using? Cottonballs, Japanese Cotton, Organic Cotton, Supima, Cotton Bacon V1, V2 or Prime, Native Wicks, Kendo, etc., etc., etc.?

Pictures of your wicking would also greatly assist.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    To me the vid is overkill. I just do almost the same as vid except I just pulse it and let it smoke while blowing on the wicks. I usually do it 3 times, each time of course adding more juice to keep the coil and wicks saturated. This will remove any cotton/rayon taste. I am ultra sensitive to that taste and had it on ALL cotton I tried. It did not matter who made the cotton wicking. And I also had that taste with rayon/cellucotton. 'Smoking' the coil and wicks before putting the tank on does the job for me. Everytime.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    The initial cotton taste was one of the reasons I switched when I tried Rayon. You get a little flat flavor from rayon for the first few hits and it's gone. Then, the vape is fine.

I used cotton for several years and tried Egyptian, Koh Gen Do, and various other cotton types and brands. Some were better than others, but Rayon is king in my book.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Koh gen Do was my mainstay until Cotton Bacon Prime nudged it out, never was thrilled with CB V2. As for Rayon, can't stand the taste nor the dry throat it gives me, yes I didn't it right and used Sally's.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    I got rid of the cotton taste by switching to rayon.... ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. dangkhoa02106

dangkhoa02106 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2013
    VIET NAM
    I also use cotton as my wicks. Just read a lot about rayon, really love it but I do not have any chance to use it (I can not find any dealers in my country have it in their store, they just have Muji).
    I use to prime my new coil with Rip Tripper's method. The cotton will break in immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  19. madstabber

madstabber Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Rayon, it’s the cure for that cottony taste. Plus it’s cheaper, leaving more money for frivolous mod, rda, and RTA purchases. ... is going on with the Bears?!?!? Cmon, man the cardinals suck, geez. Sorry watching football as I type.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Double post

• Like Like x 1