cotton wicking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjordan322

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2014
United States
I'm currently running a single coil double wrapped with 28 ga @ .9 ohms on a tobh atty. Have been running at about 19watts. First real successful build. On my cotton on the shorter side it appears to be slightly darker then my juice so idkk if I'm burning the cotton or if it's normal? The cotton is only about Teri hours old.

And I know I should deff invest in a single coil setup. Deff like the coolness of single coil over double

Attachments

• 20150204_225728.jpg
    20150204_225728.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 60

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
Well to think about it logically, if you had the cotton wick fully saturated and completely filling the space in the center of the coil the juice would cool down the coil. Now if you have it only half filled, part of the coil is not getting cooled from the liquid and probably getting hotter than the other side of the coil. That extra heat would then begin to be too much for the cotton.

This just a thought to add to the thread. I welcome any criticism for it.

santoki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
i think the most telling sign is that the short end does appear to have scorch marks, but also overall just looks drier than the other side-it seems to me the reason why is because the cotton on the left side is absorbing all the fluid and not letting the other end absorb any juice.

easy way to test this would be to trim that really long end so that both wick ends are barely touching the deck and are both able to absorb liquid as they dry out.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
Further to santoki's point above, another thing that might be worth trying is bending your leads in such a way that when the coil is secured, it's directly opposite your center point. Centering your coil laterally on the deck will allow you to have an equal amount of cotton coming out of both ends.

I would also caution you against trying to push a thicker wad of cotton through the coil. Doing so could "choke" your wick, resulting in dry hits.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Your cotton that is inside of the coil will darken and it is normal. If is burnt black instead of what you have there it probably been run out of juice, this would cause you too cough or burn your throat.

I think you well for your first good build. Keep practicing it will get easier and you will get better with time just like anything else.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Looks like one end does not have enough cotton in the coil and the coil is burning the cotton rather than evaporating the juice.
Start of with an even thickness of cotton and put it through the coils , for me its filling all the inside of the coils and it has resistance but you're still able to pull the cotton through. Mine do take a light bit of effort to get through have them sort of tight in the coil but not where pulling the cotton through will move the coil.

TwistedLemo-2.jpg

After wicking the cotton is still filling the inside of the coil.

Last edited:

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I'm going to step away from the wicking for a moment and look at the coil. Did you test fire it before you wicked it? did you work out any hot spots? a microcoil, assuming thats what you are going for, should glow from the center of the coil to the edges of the coil. Hotspots will give you a harsher vape and will potentially burn the cotton in some spots as you have some wraps heating up faster than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread