Cough from Nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluVap0r

Jan 18, 2016
Hello everyone, I'm BluVap0r and I am from Germany.

Firstly I don't want people telling me stuff like "Man you shouldnt vape if you never smoked before, etc...", I respect your concerns but it is my business if I vape or not.

I am a non-smoker and i have encountered some cough after buying and using my first e-cig, the Kangertech EVOD.

The cough increases with increasing dosage of nicotine in my e-juices and e-juice without any nicotine does not cause any cough. However from normal tobacco, even with a lot of nicotine, i never had to cough.

The juices:
  • peach flavor (6mg) => some minor cough, but it disappeared after a few puffs
  • apple flavor (9mg) => major cough
I used up my peach liquid because the cough wasn't too bad, but my chest area hurts sometimes after vaping.

Can some of you maybe explain why I got this cough and how I can prevent it while still being able to vape juice with nicotine?
Thank you very much in advance!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hello everyone, I'm BluVap0r and I am from Germany.

Firstly I don't want people telling me stuff like "Man you shouldnt vape if you never smoked before, etc...", I respect your concerns but it is my business if I vape or not.

I am a non-smoker and i have encountered some cough after buying and using my first e-cig, the Kangertech EVOD.

The cough increases with increasing dosage of nicotine in my e-juices and e-juice without any nicotine does not cause any cough. However from normal tobacco, even with a lot of nicotine, i never had to cough.

The juices:
  • peach flavor (6mg) => some minor cough, but it disappeared after a few puffs
  • apple flavor (9mg) => major cough
I used up my peach liquid because the cough wasn't too bad, but my chest area hurts sometimes after vaping.

Can some of you maybe explain why I got this cough and how I can prevent it while still being able to vape juice with nicotine?
Thank you very much in advance!

sounds like you should reduce nicotine strength or wattage.

i smoked for 30 years and if i use higher strength nicotine in my rda somethings definitely gonna happen like coughing or more likely gagging/choking feeling.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

I think the fact that normal tobacco didn't make you cough, but vaping does, is because cigarette tobacco has a lot of stuff added to it to make it "smooth" -- essentially to fool our bodies into accepting and tolerating something as hot and toxic as smoke.

Many new vapers cough when they first start vaping (though I never did), and what you are describing, increasing cough with increasing nicotine, is probably a reaction to "throat hit" -- which most (not all) smokers have learned to live with, so much so that now they actually WANT that sensation -- a non-smoker would never have learned that tolerance or liking.

If you really want to vape with nicotine -- I won't shoot you down; adults can make their own choices, and there are many good reasons for using nicotine -- you may need to start with the lightest possible dose -- some places offer 3mg -- and work up to whatever level you feel is right for you. This would also assist in helping your body learn tolerance to nicotine, so that you don't develop nausea, jitters, or headache.

Andria

Last edited:
Reactions: DC2

BluVap0r

Jan 18, 2016
I think the fact that normal tobacco didn't make you cough, but vaping does, is because cigarette tobacco has a lot of stuff added to it to make it "smooth" -- essentially to fool our bodies into accepting and tolerating something as hot and toxic as smoke.

Many new vapers cough when they first start vaping (though I never did), and what you are describing, increasing cough with increasing nicotine, is probably a reaction to "throat hit" -- which most (not all) smokers have learned to live with, so much so that now they actually WANT that sensation -- a non-smoker would never have learned that tolerance or liking.

If you really want to vape with nicotine -- I won't shoot you down; adults can make their own choices, and there are many good reasons for using nicotine -- you may need to start with the lightest possible dose -- some places offer 3mg -- and work up to whatever level you feel is right for you. This would also assist in helping your body learn tolerance to nicotine, so that you don't develop nausea, jitters, or headache.

Andria

Thank you very much Andria, I think I will look into that!

Reactions: AndriaD

BluVap0r

Jan 18, 2016
I've been vaping a little bit on the 9mg juice (the 6mg is all used up) the last two days and I noticed that when I am being careful with the first few puffs, i got no coughing at all now.
And there hasn't been any chest or lung pain either. These are great news for me since i really enjoy vaping and don't want to stop. But I will still be careful.

Reactions: AndriaD

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
EVOD's a good one to start with, nuthin fancy, pretty sturdy, even the ole EVOD 1 can be tweaked for better performance...

As Andria said, tobacco in cigarettes is fermented, treated and subjected to all sorts of trickery. I made the self-test once : got tobacco leaves striaght off the plant, unfermented, untreated, just dried... Woohoo, made even a former heavy smoker like me squint...

Apart from the nicotine, it's the PG in the liquids that provides part of the throat hit.

If it's to harsh on the lungs for your taste, look for liquids that have a higher VG percentage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread