Could I use these batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bineva17

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2012
Hanoi
I think you can, but it might not be safe, and it said 4000mah, but the real capacity is much less, my experience shows that real capacity is about half of what it says. Even less.

Eventually, I don't think saving a little $ of battery for a deluxe PV like Evic is a good idea. I use those "fire" things for my Vamo, and Panasonic for my Evic.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ultrafire batteries fall into that second tier of name brand batteries along with Trustfire and Surefire. I used Trustfires in my first mechanical mod until the power switch on the mod got stuck in the "on" position while in my pants while hanging in my locker at work.

Trustfire2.jpg

Above is what happened to that battery. It's cheap protective circuit in the so-called protected battery failed, allowing the Li Ion battery to overheat and go into thermal runaway. The battery vented flame and caught my pocket on fire (scorched). Ruined the power switch on the mod where it vented. It could have been much worse than it was, as I happened to find this occuring soon after it started.

Since then I have used almost exclusively only AW IMR batteries in both my mechanical and regulated mods, and never had another battery incident. These are the safest batteries that you can buy.

My point is, despite what once was commonly accepted and true, the current wisdom is to not use protected Li Ion batteries. Safer chemistry IMR batteries are safer and now recommended to be used in both regulated and mechanical mods in place of protected Li Ion batteries.

Resource: ECF battery guru's. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Last edited:

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
I have never tried the "fire" batteries, and I don't know what BRC stands for. Might try google to see if anyone has tested them, some of the flashlight forum members do extensive battery testing. CandlePowerForum and BudgetLightForum come to mind.

I would be skeptical of a battery that claims 4000 mah, and $8 for four batteries and a charger sounds pretty low, even direct from China. Also the 1800 recharges seems highly exaggerated, most batteries estimates seem to run 300 to 500 cycles.

Can't say how much truth there is to it, but I have read that TrustFire and UltraFire are widely counterfeited, may help to explain why they have gotten such a bad reputation.

I sure some of the more knowledgeable members will chime in with better information, me, I would pass on those.

Edit, I see one of the more knowledgeable members has already posted. Thanks Baditude for sharing that story, I have read it before, but maybe the OP hasn't.

Last edited:

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
Eh...they should work alright, but the question becomes do I want to put one in my $100 mod? Personally, any ridiculously rated battery causes me immediate mistrust. 4000 mah in an 18650 battery? No way. It would have to be some heretofore unheard of formulation to store that level in this sized battery.

It might be a 2000mah capacity at best.

I do get the "free" part...but my concern is rating it so loosely would give me little trust in the manufacturer.

errolng

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Home
Eh...they should work alright, but the question becomes do I want to put one in my $100 mod? Personally, any ridiculously rated battery causes me immediate mistrust. 4000 mah in an 18650 battery? No way. It would have to be some heretofore unheard of formulation to store that level in this sized battery.

It might be a 2000mah capacity at best.

I do get the "free" part...but my concern is rating it so loosely would give me little trust in the manufacturer.

yep agree with you.
based on what people say, its probably under 2000 as well.
not that advisable to get cheap batteries just to save a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread