Cr123a 750mAh and 16340 880mAh don't last as long as eGo 650mAh???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
hey guys. I Bought my first 3.7 mod (GLV Supermini) and I love it, but the batteries just do not last as long as my ego batteries did. The ego batts lasted at least 8 hours before they'd start flashing at me and the 750mAh AW Cr123's seem to start losing power within 5 hours and are completely gone within 6.

Is this normal?

Is there any particular way to charge and drain the batteries so that they last longer?

Are there any 16340's or cr123a's out there that are 1000mAh or higher? I doubt it, and I've looked, but it never hurts to ask.

This bothers me, even though I can very easily carry spare batteries (more easily than an extra ego body) I hate having a battery die on me when I'm out, and it's happened twice in the last 3 days. Never had an ego batt start flashing on me, and I haven't changed a thing about my "charge and go" practices.

Any ideas?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
"Are there any 16340's or cr123a's out there that are 1000mAh or higher?"

No, because then they would not be a 16340. the number describes the dimensions of the battery: 16 mm x 340 mm. The material inside is Li-ion electrochemical material, and in general if the battery is listed as 3.7V it is this material, and mAh rating is proportional to the volume of the battery itself. Bigger battery means more use-time.

That said, some mAh labels are significantly higher than what the mAh are in reality. 14500s are generally labeled as 900 mAh, but they are probably closer to about 700 mAh. In other words China, where all Li-ion batteries are made, tends to, shall we say, embellish their mAh ratings. Some of the cheap brands of regular shaped Li-ions are considerably lower in mAh than other brands.

This could also be the case with 650 mAh and higher mAh ego-type batteries, but I have also found that these batteries tend to last about as long as the stated mAh should. My 1100 mAh KGO battery gives me about 7 hours of 2.5 ohm vaping, which is about right, and I get about 3.5 hours out of a 14500 900 mAh. One of these mAh ratings cannot be right. Always best to carry extra batteries, in general...if you are using an 18650 2600 mAh battery this might not be needed for a one-day trip from the charger, unless you vaped it all the previous day too.

The best charging for your batteries health is slow charging. Fast charging is convenient, but a big strain on batteries. The best drain on batteries is low wattage and brief. Long drags with an LR atty will be hardest on a battery, in terms of drainage. The more heat you generate, the more irreversible the electrochemical reactions in the battery become. that said, most of my 18 month old original 510 batteries are still in close to perfect operational order, so I would not worry too much about that, other than high drain (LR) vaping can greatly reduce the useful life of a small battery. Its fine for the ones you ask about, or at least more fine...any usage depletes the lifetime of a battery, in terms of charging back to the original mAh and voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread