Crockpot VS Traditional Steep

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
Hey guys,
Was looking for advice on the difference between slow heat treatment steeping such as crockpot steep, soak in hot/warm water steep and the old slow traditional let it be kept in darkness for ages steep.

If i crockpot steep, 1 day of crockpoting is equivalent to how many days of normal steeping? Roughly? Coz i am really annoyed with this throat tickling sensation... The juice is rough, although i steeped for 1 1/2 weeks.. But in 2-3 weeks its nice... Was trying to figure out if i start crockpotting how long aproximately i would be waiting.. If the difference is by a day or two its not worth me buying a crockpot lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kenna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Well...I tried using a coffee maker when I first started vaping. I made a Lego corral so the juice didn't sit on the glass, put enough water to 3/4 submerge my bottles of juice, tested the water with a thermometer and the coffee maker was a constant 160 degrees all seems fine. Set my juice in for a couple hours then sit on the counter till cooled and did at again. I was wrong, I wrecked 4-30ml bottles of commerical juice, they turned super dark and tasted off within a couple weeks after. That was my only adventure with heat steeping.
Now a crockpot from what others have said is 150 degrees...OK that IMO makes a 10 degree window between steeping juice and burning juice, not much wiggle room and if your crockpot is off then you burn your juice.
I DIY my juice and use a magnetic mixer and IMO the mixer does cut down the steep time but I'm a patient fellow and am willing to wait the up to weeks for a juice to properly steep in the closet. I have enough juice on hand thats its not a problem. I mostly vape tobacco juices so they have to sit weeks before blossoming. The only heat I use is some hot water to loosen up the VG a bit so it mixes easier.
There are many who swear by heat steeping and say it speeds up the juice but I don't know that since my first heat steep resulted in damaged goods and haven't heat steeped since.

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
I am trying heat steeping now with a rice cooker and havent read the temp before but all i can say its fairly about 60c/140f. I do see significant color changes in about 9hours of heat steeping. But i couldnt find the relevance of the traditional steep time. I tasted the juice and its still not there yet, still rough and the flavors are still off. So its still in the rice cooker cooking now. I wanna text and see if its worth getting a crockpot, because its much bigger and wider, so more juice. The usual time i take to steep 70/30 VG/PG is about 2-3weeks. That is the time where the vape is smooth, throat hit is good, flavors are pronounced and the sweetners are blended. Anything under that it tastes diluted, rough/harsh, not sweet enough, the flavors are everywhere.

So i am interested with this heat steeping method because i am really impatient; thats one reason to it. The other is i wanna see if there is a significance in tastes, time and overall quality. I do know if heat is applied, the nic content gradually goes down to about 1-2mg/ml. But meh, i wanna know more. Hence the point of this thread to have more point of views on this matter. To shed some light to my curiosity.

Reactions: Kenna

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I am trying heat steeping now with a rice cooker and havent read the temp before but all i can say its fairly about 60c/140f. I do see significant color changes in about 9hours of heat steeping. But i couldnt find the relevance of the traditional steep time. I tasted the juice and its still not there yet, still rough and the flavors are still off. So its still in the rice cooker cooking now. I wanna text and see if its worth getting a crockpot, because its much bigger and wider, so more juice. The usual time i take to steep 70/30 VG/PG is about 2-3weeks. That is the time where the vape is smooth, throat hit is good, flavors are pronounced and the sweetners are blended. Anything under that it tastes diluted, rough/harsh, not sweet enough, the flavors are everywhere.

So i am interested with this heat steeping method because i am really impatient; thats one reason to it. The other is i wanna see if there is a significance in tastes, time and overall quality. I do know if heat is applied, the nic content gradually goes down to about 1-2mg/ml. But meh, i wanna know more. Hence the point of this thread to have more point of views on this matter. To shed some light to my curiosity.

9 hours seems a bit to much. I do no more then 5 hours then let it sit 24 hours and it's ready to vape.

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
I have said it before and will say it again.

ALL the juice makers I've ever read reco dark cooler places for steeping. How does that translate in any way to 160F for an extended time in any crockpot? Hint, it doesn't. Nic also degrades over 150.

I don't think anything beats time. With the possible maybe exception of the ultrasonic cleaner or speed stirrers.
Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread