The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cuomo considers banning cigarette sales

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by CarolT, Mar 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CarolT

CarolT Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    There's nothing here about e-cigs, but don't be surprised if he attacks vaping next. And chew as well! Just because it's tobacco!
    Cuomo considers banning cigarette sales for six weeks amid Coronavirus outbreak

Dr Farsalinos has addressed this, saying that smokers are less likely to get it:
    "An unusually low prevalence of current smoking was observed among hospitalized COVID-19 patients (8.7%, 95%CI: 7.6-9.9%) compared to the expected prevalence based on smoking prevalence in China (30.3%, 95%CI: 28.4-32.1%; z-statistic: 22.80, P < 0.0001)."
    Smoking, vaping and hospitalization for COVID-19 - Article | Qeios

Let's hope there's no travel ban that would interfere with smuggling.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SW VA
    Pushing roughly 2 million smokers into withdrawal all at once, especially while they're all stressed over the virus and many are losing their jobs due to the lock-downs? I expect doing that will produce unintended consequences...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    Here's another interesting observation I found buried in an article:

“The discrepancy between rates of smoking in men and women are less pronounced in Spain and Italy than in China, yet the sex difference in covid-19 outcomes are more pronounced in Spain and Italy than in China,” said Sabra Klein, an expert on how men and women experience disease, especially viral infections, at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “Smoking cannot be the primary cause.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/26/men-are-getting-sicker-dying-more-often-covid-19-spain-data-shows/

4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Yeah this might be the first time since IDK the 60s we have seen a full on riot not an inner city one? I'd bash through tobacco store windows in this time of frenzy. I really likely would.

Cuomo... there isn't enough forbidden words about that dude to even try to write them Out I will just go like THIS and save time although interesting articles.

"Cuomo You...………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………....…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...……...…...……….

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  5. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    Another fragment turns up:
    "Finally, for some underlying health conditions and risk factors, including neurologic disorders, chronic liver disease, being a current smoker, and pregnancy, few severe outcomes were reported; therefore, conclusions cannot be drawn about the risk for severe COVID-19 among persons in these groups."
    Preliminary Estimates of the Prevalence of Selected Underlying...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.