Cuomo considers banning cigarette sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
There's nothing here about e-cigs, but don't be surprised if he attacks vaping next. And chew as well! Just because it's tobacco!
Cuomo considers banning cigarette sales for six weeks amid Coronavirus outbreak

Dr Farsalinos has addressed this, saying that smokers are less likely to get it:
"An unusually low prevalence of current smoking was observed among hospitalized COVID-19 patients (8.7%, 95%CI: 7.6-9.9%) compared to the expected prevalence based on smoking prevalence in China (30.3%, 95%CI: 28.4-32.1%; z-statistic: 22.80, P < 0.0001)."
Smoking, vaping and hospitalization for COVID-19 - Article | Qeios

Let's hope there's no travel ban that would interfere with smuggling.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Here's another interesting observation I found buried in an article:

“The discrepancy between rates of smoking in men and women are less pronounced in Spain and Italy than in China, yet the sex difference in covid-19 outcomes are more pronounced in Spain and Italy than in China,” said Sabra Klein, an expert on how men and women experience disease, especially viral infections, at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “Smoking cannot be the primary cause.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...r-dying-more-often-covid-19-spain-data-shows/

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah this might be the first time since IDK the 60s we have seen a full on riot not an inner city one? I'd bash through tobacco store windows in this time of frenzy. I really likely would.

Cuomo... there isn't enough forbidden words about that dude to even try to write them Out I will just go like THIS and save time although interesting articles.

"Cuomo You...………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………....…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...……...…...……….

Anna

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Another fragment turns up:
"Finally, for some underlying health conditions and risk factors, including neurologic disorders, chronic liver disease, being a current smoker, and pregnancy, few severe outcomes were reported; therefore, conclusions cannot be drawn about the risk for severe COVID-19 among persons in these groups."
Preliminary Estimates of the Prevalence of Selected Underlying...

• Informative
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread