Curious about salt nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan J Respress

Jun 3, 2018
nicotine salts occur naturally in tobacco. nicotine salts are dissolved into a base of Vegetable Glycerin and Propelyne Glycol, just like freebase nicotine. Nicotine salts absorb into your blood stream much more faster than freebase nicotine, but less efficient. To achieve the same level of nicotine absorbtion, salt nicotine is usually found in higher levels of milligram per milliliter of nicotine concentration. Benzoic acid is also added to the solution which aids the salt nicotine in absorbing into your blood stream faster and it also helps produce a smoother hit.

Here is a video I made over it

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
Can liquid with nic salt be used in a Sub-Ohm tank?
You could, but the head rush would be too intense. Nic salts were made for use in pod systems primarily, low wattage and high resistance devices. So it depends on the wattage, the coil, the salts concentration....Most people transitioning from MTL (low watts, high ohms) to sub-ohms will half the nic concentration in their liquid.

Tristan J Respress

Jun 3, 2018
You could, but the head rush would be too intense. Nic salts were made for use in pod systems primarily, low wattage and high resistance devices. So it depends on the wattage, the coil, the salts concentration....Most people transitioning from MTL (low watts, high ohms) to sub-ohms will half the nic concentration in their liquid.
Thank you brewbear

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
You can, but I’ve heard it gives people headaches and makes them feel a bit nauseous due to the rush of nicotine.
Let’s just say you will get a lot of nicotine.
Not true. If you use a LOT of it, maybe. I diy with nic salt at 6mg/ml. I dont get head aches or nausea.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Can liquid with nic salt be used in a Sub-Ohm tank?

yes

freebase nic is an alkaline

add an acid, like benzoic or citric to neutralise PH, which bonds the nic molecule to a salt molecule

then you have [ph neutral] nic salts

supermarkets sell citric acid, 1% by weight, into 100mg/ml nic is a pretty good approximation

use it the same as you would freebase

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Yep, there are even commercial juices made for sub-ohm use (3mg, 6mg, etc) made with salts. Salts can be used interchangeably with freebase at the same nic concentration.

Since salts are less irritating than freebase, higher concentrations can be used than with freebase. This is typically done with MTL vaping.

I've vaped 3-6mg salts instead of freebase DTL when I have a cold, etc and it's much easier on my throat. Pretty much no throat hit at this level.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You could, but the head rush would be too intense. Nic salts were made for use in pod systems primarily, low wattage and high resistance devices.

This is not exactly true I'm afraid. Nic salts were MARKETED to pods as "nic salt capable" and there is no reason not to use them in ANY device, although certainly the higher the nic salt juice, the weaker the delivery system needs to be which is how Juul can get away with like, a pod concentration of up to almost 60 mg/ml.

They ARE smoother, they may or may NOT be more bioavailable depending on how they are converted, but they simply do not, in and off themselves "provide a special headrush" that is somehow confused with the headrush of ANY nicotine of the strength of 60 mg/ml. YOU WOULD FEEL it with any nic that strong.

Now, it's certainly debatable whether or not you could handle the HARSHNESS of freebase nic at that level, and it is true that some very high salt manufacturers WARN not to use oh, their 60 mg/ml juices in sub0hm systems, for one I imagine they don't want to be sued ,and for two, that is where the MARKET is for "Their' juices which tend to be very, very high.

However, if you DIY you can use nic salts and/or freebase plus nic salts in ANY device you see fit, provided you tailor the nic level to the device. The sub0hm user who habitually uses 6 m.g. can easily and with no care whatsoever transfer to a 6 mg/ml nic salt juice and come to ZERO harm and I am going to bet in the majority of cases, well, they won't get a magical "head rush" either as nic is nic is nic.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine, and factually completely untrue that nic salts are "best used in pods." Use them if you LIKE them, or if they have USE to you at the correct level and you should be Just fine.

I started DIY with nic salts at 18 mg/ml because I didn't want a throat hit. That was IT. Nic salts may be more stable chemically and also, they may store longer and also they can be formulated in different ways, by using citric, malic, and benzoic acids and I'd imagine each formulation may result in a slight different "salt" property i.e. one may be more bioavailable than the other, but this is speculation only. Also, the Juul is proprietary, so it's unclear what ALL is in their pods, but they do use benzoic acid and wonder if that contributes to the "head rush" experience but again, I don't know for sure.

Anna

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

I use Nic Salts in subohm all the time in DIY juice. There is absolutely no problem using them in Subohm devices. I mix 4 mg since that is what I use. But you can use whatever level you use.

Nic salt and freebase are interchangeable. You can use both the same way. The main difference is lower throat hit with Nic Salt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread