Curious about vaping after oral bone graft surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessjess

Apr 27, 2018
Hey all!
So I'm a smoker and am looking to switch over to vaping to quit. I just had oral surgery yesterday and had my bone graft put in for an implant in the future. I know it's the sucking that creates a dry socket and the smoke lengthens healing time. So, how about vaping though? Also there was a member on here named Rico 942 who had this surgery done in Mexico and I wanted to get his oral surgeon's contact information. I can't message him because I have to prove I'm not a spammer or robot. Anyways, can anyone help me with any of this? Can I still vape or do I have to keep this patch on? It keeps making me nauseous and I would think vaping would be less offensive on healing.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Everyone will tell you not to vape following any oral surgery. All i can say is i had the same procedure (graft and implant) and vaped the whole time. That was 4 years ago and i've not had a problem either then or since.
I used a MTL device at 15 watts using 18MG nicotine.
My advice to you is don't vape ;)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is so much a question for a doctor rather than bored punters on the internet.
Really. Medically we’re mostly all idiots here. Consult a physician.
But hey as a bored punter I might as well kick the ball too since it’s being kicked anyway.
My amateur and likely gruesomely uninformed opinion is that if you can cold turkey it out for the healing period or even as much of the healing period as you can, do it. Failing that the patch is possibly the least damaging nicotine option. If the patch fails vaping at least removes some of the healing ......ant chemicals of cigarettes. Your physician will know better than me though.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

RumbleFish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
L.A.
I just had 2 implants placed in yesterday, started vaping right after I walked out the door. I did NOT have to have the bone graph though so, might not be comparable. I'd say if you can keep a wad of gauze in there while you vape, to minimize the vacuum pressure from inhaling, you should be ok but, I'm no Dr. or dentist.

• Agree
Reactions: mackman

RumbleFish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
L.A.
I just had 2 implants placed in yesterday, started vaping right after I walked out the door. I did NOT have to have the bone graph though so, might not be comparable. I'd say if you can keep a wad of gauze in there while you vape, to minimize the vacuum pressure from inhaling, you should be ok but, I'm no Dr. or dentist.

Also, if you do vape, don't seal your lips on the tip, and hit it gently to allow more air as to lessen the vacuum effect

• Agree
Reactions: chellie

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Hello Jessjess
Firstly, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. It can interfere with the healing process.

Secondly, you need to ask your doctor this, not members on a vaping forum - I think you probably want that bone graft to take.

Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread