The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

What's causing this crackling noise?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by EIHYPI, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. EIHYPI

EIHYPI Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2017
    NY & LA
    I generally use kanthal and once in the while I'll use SS. My previous build was with kanthal using 22G, 6 wrap dual, 3mm inside diameter at 65W. The cotton was a little tight inside (and the legs touching the deck) with the Scottish roll. I didn't get any crackle from this build as far as I can remember.

Just before I took out 24g SS 316L and did an 8 wrap dual, 3mm inside diameter and did the cotton the same way and at 65W. I'm getting so much crackling now.

I think it has to be the wire. The kanthal and SS builds were on the same rda too, the velocity v2. The juice is the same too. I'm hoping someone can carify this for me. It's not a very big deal but it's something I want to get to the bottom of. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Crackle is a result of wicking more often than not.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. EIHYPI

Feb 15, 2017
    NY & LA
    Then I wish I knew how to wick this build in a way that it won't crackle. It doesn't bother me too much but still I want to learn how to wick it that it won't crackle.

Here's pics of the build and wicking cameringo_20180211_160615_20180211161748797.jpg cameringo_20180211_171745.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kiyle the Manlet

Kiyle the Manlet Senior Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    It's probably the cotton. purge it until it's almost dry and then redrip. maybe that will help.

Personally I like the crackle, but it's just extra juice popping inside the cotton.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. fifamymaingame

fifamymaingame Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2017
    Colorado
    Crackling means your build and wick is flawless

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    All my rta's crackle and it's normal. I think the more wicking material in coil the less crackling sound. Personally I feel if your set up is not crackling at all, it's not as good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. listopencil

listopencil Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    Are you using a Rice Krispies flavor juice?

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. EIHYPI

Feb 15, 2017
    NY & LA
    So crackling slightly is normal. That's good to know because I always thought it's better if it doesn't crackle at all.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    It's definitely normal. More of an annoyance for some people. Hell, my tank crackles sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MMcQ

MMcQ Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    crackling for me tends to indicate that the juice going into the coil isn't getting enough airflow. If its already open all the way then you might need to pull harder (faster airflow will produce more vapor, less crackling in my experience)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. EIHYPI

Feb 15, 2017
    NY & LA
    Now I'm definitely going to open up the airflow holes more. Come to think of it I had the airflow "somewhat" restricted. This makes a lot of sense based on my current setup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
  13. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    If it is really bothersome to you, try adjusting the wattage up or down a bit. By changing wire you have probably changed the mass to a degree so the temp is going to be different even if the resistances are similar. It's way too late at night for me to get a calculator out to figure which one is more, so I am not sure if you should go up or down in the wattage, but I would start with down a bit first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    As long as my wicking is okay, I get crackling if not enough airflow for my wattage. It's easily remedied, and will probably improve your overall experience. Airflow in the tank is as important as wicking and it's important to couple the two together. More air will often get rid of any popping or spitback for me.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  15. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    If its slight. Now excess popping and spitting is not. Slight crackling has to be normal because of the tiny explosions of the vaporization

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Nikhforos

Nikhforos Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2018
    Crackling is normal. I don't like it though, so I'll fire and blow for 1 sec before I inhale. Usually fixes it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017

• Like Like x 1
  18. Walee

Walee Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 6, 2017
    Everybody's different, so I'll keep it in the realm of what I enjoy. Just can't go to the place of "good" or "bad" with this. I like a little crackling part way through a draw. Too much or too soon and I know I'm hittin it a little hard and moving toward spitting. Do not like burning spit balls in my mouth. Nope, not at all. In moderation it's telling me I have enough juice and that juice is boiling down there. Key phrase "down there" as inside the atty not my mouth. In fact, when the crackling stops that's my queue to rewick or rebuild. Things are getting gunked up and performance is diminishing. Now, having said all that, I know folks with series mech mods that thrive on violent snap, crackle and pop. I believe they have asbestos mouths.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
  19. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Excuse me???:eek:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Yeah, when it's throwing hot juice in the back of your throat, that's not fun. I don't get how some people like that tbh. it hurts like hell!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.