Custom cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapeCAD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2010
Massachusetts
This case was designed using Solidworks for dual 18650 batteries and uses the DNA20D screen frame cradle from Shapeways to ease assembly. It's an indestructible monster that fills the palm of your hand, but that's to be expected with these larger batteries.

All of the parts are in and I hope to begin assembly this week.

If anyone is interested, the PDF attachment is a 3D PDF that can be viewed from any angle and parts can be turned on and off using the model tree in adobe acrobat reader to view interior parts and planning.

I am also refining a dual 14500 version which is much smaller - several single battery versions are also being considered.

- This is not a mini mod :shock::shock:

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Case.jpg
    Case.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Base.jpg
    Base.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Dual18650Case.PDF
    871.6 KB · Views: 123

Innocuous

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Washington (the desert)
Heh.. That's a nicely conservative guess!

And, it's not just the DNA20, (nor just the cradle-design). So many people have hacked together such lovely one-off solutions.

Would be nice if someone would designed a single and two battery case that the DNA 20 would just drop in and the buttons on the board could be used. Surprised Evolv hasn't done it and put it on Shapeways. It would probably double Evolv 20 sales.:)

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
So I took a look at the 3D pdf and it looks like you have several custom made pcbs in there.

So I'm guessing this is something your going to sell as a complete mod, and not make available on shapeways as has been implied?

Because looking at the design, it doesn't look like it would be a practice DIY build without the custom pcbs.

I also didn't notice a way to assemble/disassemble it. Did I miss something?

CapeCAD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2010
Massachusetts
So I took a look at the 3D pdf and it looks like you have several custom made pcbs in there.

So I'm guessing this is something your going to sell as a complete mod, and not make available on shapeways as has been implied?

Because looking at the design, it doesn't look like it would be a practice DIY build without the custom pcbs.

I also didn't notice a way to assemble/disassemble it. Did I miss something?

You are completely mistaken, I'm not in the mod making business - my full time employment would not allow it. Custom PCB(s) used would also be made available. I don't particularly like using wire, PCBs are always my first choice.

My first build is without the PCBs, so I'll see how that goes first.

I plan on gluing the cover and base in place, but I'm also testing a few removable options with shapeways.

But thanks for commenting

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
You are completely mistaken, I'm not in the mod making business - my full time employment would not allow it. Custom PCB(s) used would also be made available. I don't particularly like using wire, PCBs are always my first choice.

My first build is without the PCBs, so I'll see how that goes first.

I plan on gluing the cover and base in place, but I'm also testing a few removable options with shapeways.

But thanks for commenting

Well then that is a different story completely :D, sorry my mistake indeed.

With the pcbs it does look like a good and diy friendly mod :toast:

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
LOL, the more I read this forum, the more I see the ideas I thought were unique are not. Great minds think alike?

Anyway, I'm too dumb to design something in shapeways, but my mod will look very similar in the end. I'm starting with this as a base:

5V 1A 3x 18650 Battery USB Charger Case Box Mobile Power Bank For Cellphone MP3 -- BuyinCoins.com

It will hold two 18650s in parallel, the third bay will contain the DNA20d and a reverse polarity protection chip. The fire button will be housed in the top grey part. The tactile up/downs will be housed either in the body next to the DNA20, or up on top as well. I'll use a sentinel M16 clone top cap as my 510 connector, (spring loaded center pin). Using mamu style up/down tact buttons, and a PV5 anti vandal fire button.

It will also not be a stealth mod. But with NCR18650PDs, it'll have 5800 mAh, 20A continuous discharge, (way more than necessary), and be pretty pimp. I'm tossing around ideas to paint it with something decent looking to get rid of the flat plastic look...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread