DA Free Custard - Vomit Taste...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I was just wondering about the vomit taste/smell, does it disappear or is it a case of getting used to it?

I am using FA Custard, which I gather is using butyric acid instead of other nasties to get the creamy taste.
The mix I have has been steeping for a few weeks and it still strongly smells like the Saturday mornings of my teenage years.

I am vaping some of it at the moment, I get some creaminess, but the vomit essence is present too.

Does anyone experience this with FA Custard?

Is it just a case of letting it steep for longer and then letting it breathe more? Or is it never going to get better?

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I think I recall suggesting a mix of TFA's DX Bavarian Cream and TFA Vanilla Swirl, for a really excellent custard flavor. Both are diketone-free.

Andria

Yeah, I think I remember you posting that in my Dairy/Milk thread, I have the Vanilla Swirl, but not the DX Bav Cream. I think I would encounter the same problem (Vomit smell/taste) with the DX Bavarian Cream though, as that is one with the butyric acid too I believe.
The taste/smell seems to be exacerbated by Strawberry for me, not sure why, but adding strawberry seems to have a similar effect to adding pure vomit.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Yeah, I think I remember you posting that in my Dairy/Milk thread, I have the Vanilla Swirl, but not the DX Bav Cream. I think I would encounter the same problem (Vomit smell/taste) with the DX Bavarian Cream though, as that is one with the butyric acid too I believe.
The taste/smell seems to be exacerbated by Strawberry for me, not sure why, but adding strawberry seems to have a similar effect to adding pure vomit.

I assure you, I don't taste "stomach contents" in my strawberry & cream, which uses 6% Dx Bavarian, and 4.5% Vanilla Swirl. To me, even *the word* for ejecting the stomach's content is a fate worse than death. My strawberry & cream is actually more like "strawberry custard" because of those 2 ingredients, but I don't call it custard since it has no diketones, and I don't want to feed the hysteria about "custard flavors" -- it IS possible to get a good custard flavor without diketones, but so many are so ill-informed.

Vanilla Swirl is actually TFA's Vanilla Custard but without diketones. The DX Bavarian makes it richer, so it's more authentic-tasting.

Andria

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
4% would be too much for me. I enjoyed FA Custard at 3% years ago. I probably would vape it at 2% today.

At the moment I am finding my feet with FA Custard, I am using a (modified) recipe that someone else posted somewhere, just to get a feel of the taste etc.
So, did you notice a 'stomach contents' smell/taste? Did it go after a long steep?

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
At the moment I am finding my feet with FA Custard, I am using a (modified) recipe that someone else posted somewhere, just to get a feel of the taste etc.
So, did you notice a 'stomach contents' smell/taste? Did it go after a long steep?
There was no vomit taste back when I vaped it. Maybe they changed the formula. Now that people are so freaked about diketones in their juice. :D

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I assure you, I don't taste "stomach contents" in my strawberry & cream, which uses 6% Dx Bavarian, and 4.5% Vanilla Swirl. To me, even *the word* for ejecting the stomach's content is a fate worse than death. My strawberry & cream is actually more like "strawberry custard" because of those 2 ingredients, but I don't call it custard since it has no diketones, and I don't want to feed the hysteria about "custard flavors" -- it IS possible to get a good custard flavor without diketones, but so many are so ill-informed.

Vanilla Swirl is actually TFA's Vanilla Custard but without diketones. The DX Bavarian makes it richer, so it's more authentic-tasting.

Andria

That is a lot of creamy goodness!
I know you like to use a lot of flavouring in your recipes, so I am not sure how sensitive your palate is to the Butyric acid notes, but I do seem to be in the minority when it comes to tasting these things (along with alcohol) in the juices. Next order I make for flavourings I will make sure to get some Bav Cream (probably DX) and use a scaled down version of your strawberry & cream recipe.

I am still in the camp that thinks that Diketones may not be as bad as people think, along with thinking that the replacements are likely to turn out to be just as bad. Much like sugar being replaced by sweeteners in sodas etc.

Reactions: Cam775

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
There was no vomit taste back when I vaped it. Maybe they changed the formula. Now that people are so freaked about diketones in their juice. :D

Yeah, I think you may be right! I think they may have changed the recipe due to the panic *shakes angry fist*

Maybe someone else who has tried both the old Vanilla Custard and the new Custard Cream can verify this?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That is a lot of creamy goodness!
I know you like to use a lot of flavouring in your recipes, so I am not sure how sensitive your palate is to the Butyric acid notes, but I do seem to be in the minority when it comes to tasting these things (along with alcohol) in the juices. Next order I make for flavourings I will make sure to get some Bav Cream (probably DX) and use a scaled down version of your strawberry & cream recipe.

I am still in the camp that thinks that Diketones may not be as bad as people think, along with thinking that the replacements are likely to turn out to be just as bad. Much like sugar being replaced by sweeteners in sodas etc.

I've tasted a couple flavors that were anywhere from "eww" to "gag me with a fork" -- Capella's Vanilla Custard v2 in the first category, which is what sent me to Vanilla Swirl. TFA's Malted Milk is definitely in the 2nd category, or as i described it recently in the TFA thread, "gag a maggot."

The reason my strawberry & cream is so high in flavor is because I'm a STRONG adherent of @Bill's Magic Vapor's "HFM" (high flavor mix) to avoid that tedious steeping, but if steeping doesn't distress you, it could probably be made half as strong, (though you'd probably want to keep the sweetener around 2%) and be just as good -- I just prefer to have something vapable within hours, not weeks.

The butyric acid is why I wouldn't use the DX Bavarian as a stand-alone; you're right, it's not a very pleasant flavor when mixed very strong, as for a stand-alone, but with the Vanilla Swirl (which doesn't have that ickiness at all), and in the background, it's not really noticeable -- the shisha strawberry is strong enough to completely cover anything like that -- the most authentic strawberry flavor I've tried.

TFA's Whipped Cream is diketone-free; it does contain triacetin, and it's a very light flavor, but if you mixed a combo of DX Bavarian, Vanilla Swirl, Whipped Cream, and Capella's Sweet Cream (diketone-free, and not icky at all -- a VERY authentic flavor), you'd end up with a very nice, very creamy flavor, without diketones.

I agree that most of the hysteria RE: diketones is exactly that, hysteria; nothing hard and fast is really known at this point. But since the only symptom of bronchiolitis obliterans is shortness of breath, and I have asthma so I'm frequently short of breath, and the fact that B. O. is irreversible if it does occur, is why I avoid diketones as far I'm able to. It just seems to be one of the cases of "better safe than sorry," but it must be admitted -- the shisha strawberry is an organically-derived flavor, so it's entirely possible that it's not diketone-free -- Inawera hasn't made any statements either way about any of their flavors, to my knowledge. This is one reason I *have* started reducing flavor percentages in that recipe; so far I've reduced all flavors in it except the sweetener, by 5% -- still very highly-flavored, but I figure as my tastebuds continue to recover, I'll probably be able to continue reducing the flavor, very slowly.

Andria

Reactions: Dixie1954

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
Ok ok to be fair please realize that not all flavor brands use the same percents to get the same amount of flavor - come on.:?: TFA/TPA uses wayyyyyy more than most of FA - although there are TFA/TPA flavorings that use as little as some of FA. FA Custard has a lemon note in it - could this be what you are calling vomit and such?? It is not even close to a Americanized Vanilla Custard, so if you are trying to get 1 out of - it will not happen. No amount of steeping or percentage playing around with it will get that type of custard out of it.;) Good luck with your taste tests. :D P.S. I do not think that FA changed their Custard at all - they did not need to. :vapor:

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Ok ok to be fair please realize that not all flavor brands use the same percents to get the same amount of flavor - come on.:?: TFA/TPA uses wayyyyyy more than most of FA - although there are TFA/TPA flavorings that use as little as some of FA. FA Custard has a lemon note in it - could this be what you are calling vomit and such?? It is not even close to a Americanized Vanilla Custard, so if you are trying to get 1 out of - it will not happen. No amount of steeping or percentage playing around with it will get that type of custard out of it.;) Good luck with your taste tests. :D P.S. I do not think that FA changed their Custard at all - they did not need to. :vapor:

I am not sure what you are referring to in your first sentence, I am fully aware of the general rule of thumb differences between brands along with each specific flavouring requiring its own percentage. Thanks for your concern though.

Over here (in the UK) our lemons smell like lemons, I am not sure what they are selling you locally, but you need to find another lemon vendor if you can confuse their smell with vomit.
I knew that the profile of FA Custard was more of a lemony cream flavour before I ordered it, that is what appealed to me in all honesty.

As for FA not changing their custard, I think you may well be wrong on this one.
Their original version had diketones in it (the version I was wanting), but now the custard they sell does not contain diketones, so I am pretty sure that they have changed their ingredients.
This was confirmed by the official UK FA vendor on another forum, he confirmed it in July this year, but I do not know when exactly they reformulated their recipe, nor how many vendors are still carrying the old custard stock.
So, this might explain why you do not get the vomit smell, you may have the old diketone rich custard, or you are not sensitive to it (butyric acid), similar to some people noticing it in the Capella V2 Custard and some saying it tastes just the same as the old one.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I am not sure what you are referring to in your first sentence, I am fully aware of the general rule of thumb differences between brands along with each specific flavouring requiring its own percentage. Thanks for your concern though.

Over here (in the UK) our lemons smell like lemons, I am not sure what they are selling you locally, but you need to find another lemon vendor if you can confuse their smell with vomit.
I knew that the profile of FA Custard was more of a lemony cream flavour before I ordered it, that is what appealed to me in all honesty.

As for FA not changing their custard, I think you may well be wrong on this one.
Their original version had diketones in it (the version I was wanting), but now the custard they sell does not contain diketones, so I am pretty sure that they have changed their ingredients.
This was confirmed by the official UK FA vendor on another forum, he confirmed it in July this year, but I do not know when exactly they reformulated their recipe, nor how many vendors are still carrying the old custard stock.
So, this might explain why you do not get the vomit smell, you may have the old diketone rich custard, or you are not sensitive to it (butyric acid), similar to some people noticing it in the Capella V2 Custard and some saying it tastes just the same as the old one.

To me, the CAP custard v2 tasted like *plastic*... or just something EXTREMELY artificial. It positively screams in foot-high neon letters ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR! Horrible stuff.

Andria

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Now I have a craving for Flavorah's Vanilla Custard. No Linda Blair nuances in that one ! :D

Flavorah's Vanilla Custard is now on my 'to buy' list. I did see your thread of praise for it (I think it was you?), I was also thinking of getting their sweet coconut along with their milk & honey.
They have been getting some good reviews over on e-liquid recipes dot com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread