Damascus Steel Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicCatalyst

Dec 31, 2013
Evansville, IN
I work with high end chef knives a lot at work and home, and have always loved the look of damascus steel. I have a collection of handmade knives from a workshop in Japan and a few of them are damascus type steel. It is not the old way of making damascus the the new billet welded method. I was thinking about seeing if they could actually smith a mod for me with their damascus method I'm used to. Maybe some kind of mech mod or an rba or even a drip tip. The damascus is so stunning to look at on my knives and it is a pleasure to work with. The only thing I am worried about is if there would be any reactions from the metal and eliquids. The description for the metal on my damascus knives is -" VG-10 Damascus RB knives are forged with 116 layers of high carbon stainless steel in the Damascus tradition with a marbled "Suminigashi" pattern" I'll attach a pic so you can see why I want it so bad.

81VSAuMYckL._SL1500_.jpg

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
It'd definitely make for a nice mech mod. I don't think PG/VG would be much of a worry as it tends to run off metals, though the Nicotine may be an issue since it's what causes the oxidation of e-liquids. In most cases, wiping down such a mod with oil and keeping it clean would prolong it's life and given the potential price of such, I'm sure the owner would take good care of it :).

CosmicCatalyst

Dec 31, 2013
Evansville, IN
It's going to be hard to see if I can get it done. I think if I were to present schematics with precise measurements my case might be more worthy. It's going to take a lot of labor and I'd like to keep it under $300. I'm trying to think of what would be the easiest thing to make. Something that's a solid piece without any threading and 0-minimal curves that would be the actual damascus part. Maybe something similar to an REO Grand or some kind of box mod.

CosmicCatalyst

Dec 31, 2013
Evansville, IN
Just sent them an email about this. I gave them rough specs for a box type mod. I left it open for them to help me lay down some plans to meet what I desire and what they can do to honor themselves crafting this for me. These guys have been making knives for a lot of years in Japan and I don't want to disrespect them by asking for something very outside of what they are known for. I also added an idea of me sending them an actual mod for them to use for specs. Once I hear back from them hopefully we can get something more solid on what kind of design it will be. I'm getting anxious about it already. I would really love for them to be able to make it for me. I can see many hours of daydreaming about my dream mod ahead.

CosmicCatalyst

Dec 31, 2013
Evansville, IN
Check this out. This is cool but bap said it was a composite metal that is soft enough to turn on a wood lathe. Its nothing like the chefs knife in the op, but its a nice looking feaux damascus mod.

Pictures of your setup t1 - Page 2447

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I found the original thread for the guy who made those. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modder-accessories-supplier-forum/349949-damascus-mokume-gane-pattern-mechanical-mod.html
They sure are beautiful, not exactly what I was looking for but if the price tag of the custom one I'm looking for is too much I'll have to get in contact with this man. He uses a bunch of different colored billets for a range of color in the damascus mods. I believe they may still be in stock. I was lurking around and found the place where you can purchase them. The "Flair" Damascus & Mokume Gane pattern mechanical mod Not bad at all costing around $250-300. Exactly in my ideal price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread