Dark ejuice question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ags79

Jun 18, 2018
I got some ejuice called Stachio, very cheap on sale. Its pistachio ice cream. The only problem is its soo dark. In my tank its super dark brown and slightly red. Does this mean its gone bad? Im wondering if it was soo cheap because its super old. It tastes ok, but never vaped juice thats so black. I understand the millard effect but just wondering if juice has an expiration date, none listed on bottle.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Juice darkens in time, thats just the way it goes. Its the sweeteners that determines how dark how fast. Store bought juice that is over sweet to begin with depending on how long its been sitting and a lot of other factors like heat can affect the color of juice. They can easily get syrupy then gunk coils quickly but some juices are designed that way since "flavor" is what people want no matter the cost.
But generally speaking....chances are you got a juice that been around a while and with no date on the bottle, who knows how old it really is but juices can last 2 years at room temp and longer if stored in a consistent cooler dark place. I DIY so I can make enough to suit my needs and not ever have to bother rolling the dice with commercial juice ever again.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think it's just the sweetener, it's possibly also the nicotine that causes darkening over time and etc.

Taste is a determinant, sure, but I've uncovered juices here and there that were so elderly (we are talking five plus years) type of thing that I wouldn't ever have tasted them, they just looked tarry and awful.

Honestly when in doubt, I say chuck it honestly. Eliquid is relatively cheap so unless you have THE BEST ELIQUID of all time and it is discontinued or something I sort of err on the side of caution.

I will say though there are plenty of darkened juices that are just somewhat oxidized, and may work and taste perfectly fine, so if it tastes fine and you are enjoying it and it's not murder on your coils, well.... No major issue.

Good luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Nearly all e-liquids will darken over time. Nicotine darkens over time, especially when exposed to light and oxygen. Some flavors are naturally dark at the time of conception, especially coffee and chocolate flavors.

Manufacturers should put a conception date on the bottle label. All the juices that I'm aware of have a 2 year expiration date. How a juice tastes when vaped is how I determine if its too old to use or not.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread