Dead Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
Could be the voltage that's killing them, could be that you are getting them to hot (holding the button to long) or it could be they are not getting wet (enough juice) enough...

For 6v I would be using an HV atty... Most atty's are fine at 5v but for 6v and above, a HV atty should probably be used...

Also, at 6v I would only be taking a 2 or 3 second draw... Then, since the 510's tend to get real hot anyway, let it rest if you feel the atty getting hot...

Lastly, 6v and above is a juice monster.... It really eats it up... If you are dripping make sure you keep the atty wet... If you are using carts, top them off frequently....

Congrats on getting the S6....

Kris

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
Just had one more atomizer die. I am keeping them wet and was being careful not to hold the switch down but a couple of seconds. I can't afford this. I switched back to the 3.7 volt. I am afraid to try this again.

Should I order some HV atomizers. Someone posted that they did not do any better than the regular 510 atomizers.

RamShot Rowdy

Battery Police
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
I mostly vape 6 volts on 901 atomizers. I did get some 510's and an adapter in the mail yesterday and I tried the 510s out today.

They 510 supposedly has a lower resistance than the 901, and will therefore get hotter at the same voltage. I can vape a 901 at 6V fine, but the 510 is way too harsh. It does vape great at 3.7 volts though. I would highly suggest you get some HV atomizers as raqball suggested.

So I would imagine 6 volts on a 510 would be very hard on atomizers. That said, I would think they would last much longer than an hour or less. That combined with the fact the body of the S6 is getting warm leads me to think you just probably aren't keeping them wet enough.

If you are dripping try switching to cartridges for a bit, load the cart up and put a drop or two directly into the atomizer. In my experience, you don't vape until vapor drops with 6V like you do with 3.7 volts. You have to sense the taste change and the increased heat the atomizer is making. It's like second nature for me now, but there is a learning curve and it took me some time. My atomizers are lasting much longer now, a week or more vs a day or two before.

If I vape heavy at 6 volts the outside of the S6 can get warm, I think the aluminum draws the heat off the atomizer. That said, make sure your batteries are not getting hot. This could be a problem if they are.

Hope this helps, just keep the juice in it, worst that will happen is you flood it.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Yes HV Atties will make a difference..
Though I'm curious to know what protected batteries you found to vape at 6V that fit in the S6...
Basically, the higher the volts the higher the heat produced and the easier it is to pop the atties..Expecially when the batteries just come off the charger and they're at peak voltage

Heres the simple breakdown at 6V...standard joye 510 atty produces 15.65 Watts of heat (17.81 at peak), Cartomizer- 12.00 Watts, knock off 510 atty- 11.25 Watts, 801 atty-10.29Watts, 901 atty-9.73Watts, HV 510 atty (4.5 Ohm)- 8.00Watts, HV 510 atty (5.2Ohm)- 6.92Watts

Some people talk about the so called "sweet spot" at 5V....what they're really talking about is wattage with the "sweet spot" being somewhere between 8-10 watts...much more than that the coil in the atty is going to get so hot so fast that things'll taste burnt and the atty is faster to pop..

Conversely I've seen at least one low resistance atty (only available with 2 certain mods) that works the other way..with a 3.7V battery and it's low resistance of 1.68Ohm it produces 8.15Watts...
So it'll produce the same heat (hence same amount of vapor and taste) at 3.7V as a HV atty (4.5Ohm) at 6V..

So yeah you really have to baby the atties you're using at 6V...and I'm imagining they're not going to be too plesant anyway...like 1 sec button presses...to get any sort of life out of them...and at peak battery voltage it'll be even worse...

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
So yeah you really have to baby the atties you're using at 6V...and I'm imagining they're not going to be too plesant anyway...like 1 sec button presses...to get any sort of life out of them...and at peak battery voltage it'll be even worse...

Especially considering that these are, presumably, brand new CR2s that are charging up to nearly 3.5 each. Nearly 7 volts across a 2.2 ohm atty is suicidal, IMHO.

I hear what you're saying, Droz, regarding compensation by hitting the switch for a shorter duration but that repeated surge is likely to cause -- well, 4 atomizer deaths in a couple of hours, apparently.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Especially considering that these are, presumably, brand new CR2s that are charging up to nearly 3.5 each. Nearly 7 volts across a 2.2 ohm atty is suicidal, IMHO.

I hear what you're saying, Droz, regarding compensation by hitting the switch for a shorter duration but that repeated surge is likely to cause -- well, 4 atomizer deaths in a couple of hours, apparently.
yeah... by any sort of life...I meant not immediate pop...I suppose I should have been clearer on that one..

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
I'm back to not doing 6V for safety reasons, but when I did, I didn't lose any 510 attys. I also didn't stress them like I could with 3.7V vaping. I couple of draws would make the atty hot enough to need a little cooling down, but that didn't take long. I think vaping at 6V's takes some discipline, and that's actually good for us, because it makes us relax more and vape less. :rolleyes:

----

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I finally realized that vaping at 6 volts the batteries were too tight causing the atomizers to overheat. This was also causing the
batteries to stay on all the time. Then I re-read the instructions and finally decided to remove some of the washers. This reducted the pressure on the batteries and now my problem is solved.

I quess I was stupid not to realize this in the first place and would have saved myself the expense of 5 atomizers.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Geez Martha, I'm sorry. I totally missed a clue from your original post where you said the batteries were getting warm. That alone should have clued us in on a whole different issue. That went right over my head. Sorry. =(

Collectively, if we were on top of our game, we surely could have prevented an atty death or two.

Just for future reference, now that the horse has unfortunately left the stable, *listening* to your PV is ultra-important. 6 volts through a 510 atty makes a distinctive (loud) sizzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread