Decent 14500 mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr-Glass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2009
St. Louis Missouri
Just a follow up - I went with the Odyssey - I know a lot of people do not care for it, but damn is it sexy!! Right now it looks like a freak with the protank on it, but I have 2 mini vivi novas en route, and holding out for it to ultimately have the mini protank next week.. It is one of the best built mechs I have seen, + 5 year warranty.. Bottom button with lock feels and looks good - hits like a champ with the 14500 aw's... not bad for quality and it was on sale earlier in the week for 45 - ego and 510 fit it and it comes with a custom stainless steel flat top plinth (essentially a beauty ring).. Happy camper! Got several compliments on it last night out on the town.. 1 Batt lasted from around 9pm last night and still going...

Slose

Jan 8, 2013
Portland Oregon
Here's the ecab v2 numbers. The Max you can get out of it is 5-6 watts with a IMR. If you replace the 26 gauge wire on the inside with some 22 gauge I think you could get better numbers out of it. Its the same with all the ego-rs devices. I have them all and cant get a decent vape out of them.

Numbers:

1.5 ohm atomizer: 2.78v at posts of atomizer (set at 3.5v red) 2.99v (3.8v purple) 3.11v (4.2v blue, battery reading at 3.98v)

no load w battery at 4.08v: 3.57v 3.83v 4.05v

Thanks.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
The main thing to consider when looking at 14500 devices, you just can't listen to the reviews, because "most" experienced vapers will find the 14500 battery lacking.......I don't care if it's in a little ego-like VV device or in a Reo mini 14500.

HOWEVER, these people reviewing are always comparing 14500 devices, in their minds, to 18650 and larger mods..........and that comparison just cannot be made.

For many of us, a little 14500 "mod" is just perfect for out and about, we are not expecting all day battery charge or anything like that. We know about the drain and carry 3 extra batts.

For me, it sure beats hanging an ego batt off a usb cable/wall wart and NOt being able to use it while charging. I"ve been caught out on errands a few times where my ego and spinners died, and I panicked, knowing my chargers are at home.

With little 14500 batts you can take in and out, this is perfect for me.

I got the Robust (square one) and it is VV. It has an ohm-checker and will also give you your battery charge readout.

Yes, I'm sure there are engineers who have "tested" the regulation blah blah blah......hey, all I wanted was a SMALL device that takes separate batts and is in-expensive. When I want plumes and power, I will move over to my larger devices. I really love the Robust (didn't at first) but may try some other little mods like the ecab V2 kanger or the RS.

There is a place for these little mods, and it would be really nice if some of the big reviewer guys would stop pinning them against mods that take 18490, 18650 cuz OF COURSE any 14500 battery device is not even going to be in that same universe, nor have the bells and whistles. A small under $50 device that takes a 14500 is not going to be like vaping a low ohm coil on a big bat mod.....but to fit a few nice bells and whistles in a tiny device that takes separte batts is a feat in and of itself. :) You can't expect the world from these.

For what they are.........perfect for some. :) Provape-1 is also very nice. Solid device. A little heavy for me though.

re: Odyssey one of my friends has one, is the only device he has ever had, he is a photographer and needs a small device, and has vaped for over 2 years on this mod. I found it a bit heavy (compared to the Robust) but it IS INDEED classy looking!

Last edited:

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
The L-Rider Robust is a GREAT 14500 mod!
I vape like a lab rat (6+ mils a day), and I get about 3 hours on a good Trustfire 900mah battery dripping 1.5 ohm 510 LR attys, or 1.8 ohm Novas, Stardusts, CE4s or 5s at 3.5 to 3.7 volts.

It's been very dependable!

Not to mention that $6 for a 2 pack of those trustfires is one hell'uva lot cheaper than eGo batteries! And ALL batteries eventually wear out, just like atomizers.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
If you want something really good, and already have the batteries, get a Varicool from SmokTek for about $55.00 => SmokTek "SmokBox VariCool" - Custom Variable Volt Box Mod - Efficient switching regulator! adjustable 3,4,5,6.5 volt's & everything between.

This is not a (blank)Vapes box. I get at least 8 hours run time of a pair of 14500's in this thing with the Varicool regulator. Never gets hot or even warm. And you can even push it up into the 6 volt range if you want to go there without it shutting down. It's boring, but it works. Two years later - still working.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
If you want something really good, and already have the batteries, get a Varicool from SmokTek for about $55.00 => SmokTek "SmokBox VariCool" - Custom Variable Volt Box Mod - Efficient switching regulator! adjustable 3,4,5,6.5 volt's & everything between.

This is not a (blank)Vapes box. I get at least 8 hours run time of a pair of 14500's in this thing with the Varicool regulator. Never gets hot or even warm. And you can even push it up into the 6 volt range if you want to go there without it shutting down. It's boring, but it works. Two years later - still working.

That IS definitely a powerful beast for a 14500 battery mod, but I'd rather not have to open the thing up and gesstimate a potentiometer setting every time I want to tweak the voltage, and would prefer something that will tell me the resistance of the attached device, and the power remaining in the batteries...

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
That IS definitely a powerful beast for a 14500 battery mod, but I'd rather not have to open the thing up and gesstimate a potentiometer setting every time I want to tweak the voltage, and would prefer something that will tell me the resistance of the attached device, and the power remaining in the batteries...

Of course I have more than one VV/VW with all the displays and bells and whistles. But to tell you the truth I don't really miss all the bells and whistles in a Varicool either. You really aren't missing all you think you are. The pot is already pre-marked at 3.7 and 5 volts. You know when you hit the right voltage - the display might only confirm it. And, at least me, I diddle with changing voltages very seldom. It's no big deal to open it up and tweak when needed. For out and about stuff this suits me fine.

There might be one model at SmokTek where Rob puts in a display. But that ups the price and if you try one without the display I think you may find it doesn't add much value.

Never did get a battery checker. No matter I'm gonna use the PV until it shuts down. Especially as you get closer to the cutoff threshold, what any battery voltage display has ever told me holds proportionately less meaning. You are only one button press away from "Low V" and it's over.

:2c:

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
The L-Rider Robust is a GREAT 14500 mod!
I vape like a lab rat (6+ mils a day), and I get about 3 hours on a good Trustfire 900mah battery dripping 1.5 ohm 510 LR attys, or 1.8 ohm Novas, Stardusts, CE4s or 5s at 3.5 to 3.7 volts.

It's been very dependable!

Not to mention that $6 for a 2 pack of those trustfires is one hell'uva lot cheaper than eGo batteries! And ALL batteries eventually wear out, just like atomizers.

I wouldn't be using Trustfires in that. They don't have anywhere near the amp limit needed for VV. AW IMRs are a LOT safer in that application. Not to mention they will outlast the Trustfires by a factor of at least three. I've got a pair that is almost two years old and still going strong.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
I wouldn't be using Trustfires in that. They don't have anywhere near the amp limit needed for VV. AW IMRs are a LOT safer in that application. Not to mention they will outlast the Trustfires by a factor of at least three. I've got a pair that is almost two years old and still going strong.

I agree that if you crank them up the trustfires won't pull the amps... But I'm vaping 1.5 - 1.8 ohms at 3.5 to 3.8 volts. and they're holding up just fine... The body never gets warm...
The starter kit actually comes with 2 generic IMR 600mah batteries.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Here's the ecab v2 numbers. The Max you can get out of it is 5-6 watts with a IMR. If you replace the 26 gauge wire on the inside with some 22 gauge I think you could get better numbers out of it. Its the same with all the ego-rs devices. I have them all and cant get a decent vape out of them.

Numbers:

1.5 ohm atomizer: 2.78v at posts of atomizer (set at 3.5v red) 2.99v (3.8v purple) 3.11v (4.2v blue, battery reading at 3.98v)

no load w battery at 4.08v: 3.57v 3.83v 4.05v

Thanks.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread