Defective Aspire Atlantis???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
I just got my Aspire Atlantis in, and to be honest I'm not at all satisfied, and I can't help but wonder.... Did I get a defective unit?

I bought it and the Kanger Aerotank Turbo quad coil tank. My resistance on the Kanger is registering at 0.9ohm and I'm sending about 23watts to it. The amount of vapor is excellent, flavor is good, and it's not an overly warm vape at all.

So then I slap on my Atlantis. The 0.5ohm is registering at 0.6 (big whoop...lol) and I'm sending 28 watts to it. First, the hit is BEYOND airy. I'm on the lowest airflow setting and there's no pull required at all. I believe it isn't sealed well somewhere along the airflow adjustment, because when I blow a bit of vapor back into it as a test, it comes out of the airflow hole (obviously) but it also flows out of other areas around the airflow ring. This doesn't happen with my Aerotank Mega, Aerotank Turbo, or my Nautilus...

Furthermore, the hit itself is just BAD. The flavor is off, the vapor is WAY too warm to be enjoyable, and where as I exhale nice sized clouds using the Aerotank Turbo, I exhale pathetic small clouds that aren't even thick when I use the Atlantis. Considering its a lower ohm with more watts going to it, how is that even possible??

So, no resistance at all on the airflow, even on its smallest setting, and obviously I have to be getting air from some areas around the airflow ring. The vape itself tastes bad (not burning cotton bad, just a bad flavor), and it's VERY warm. If I try and pull on this the way I do with the Turbo (only 0.3 ohms higher), I exhale a measly small thin cloud AND I often get choked when doing so.

So I'm just curious.... Is this the way this tank hits?? I can't believe how many praise it if so, I see no appeal. So I can't help but think I must have gotten a defective tank. I've tried lowering the watts down to about 22watts just to see, and even though the vapor wasn't AS hot, it was still uncomfortably warm and did not do my liquid's flavor any justice.

Any thoughts? I really would like to hear if this is how these new sub ohm clearos are going to hit, because if so I have absolutely no interest in making the switch.

Thanks in advance,
Finch

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Did your prime the head?
Is the head tight / snug in the base?
After filling did you let it sit for a while then give it a few unfired primer puffs, see any bubbles rising from the head?
Sounds like a dry hit or you scorched the wicking material next to the coil which tastes funky is harsh and lessens wicking ability.
They can be finicky if you've over tighten the tank to base.

Have you completly closed off the airflow to see if there is an air leak in the base. A small amount of air (tight draw) when closed is okay anything more something's wrong, too loose / airy will cause wicking issues.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Yeah, I saw a video that suggested priming them, so I made sure to saturate it prior to attaching to the base. I made sure even the visible bits where the atty is open to allow for wicking was nice and soaked. I also have it several draws before firing, but the flavor isn't a burnt taste as if it's not wicking, it's simply a bad taste.

Closing off the airflow completely you can still pull on it, and in my opinion, it's not enough resistance for the airflow to be off. My other tanks are all much more difficult to pull on when you have the airflow closed.

I do attach it fairly securely and tight, but once again it doesn't seem to be a wicking issue. There's no burning taste whatsoever. It's just not a pleasant flavor, and there is nowhere near as much vapor being produced as their should be, leading me to think I've got an air leak somewhere in the base or airflow adjustment. I'm going to order another with my paycheck in a couple days and I suppose if it is the same apparently I'm just not going to be a fan of this tank.

In all honesty I'm not overly impressed with the Aerotank Turbo either. It hits quite well most of the time, but every once in a while, it'll give me a horrible dry burn hit. I've tried putting kanger's new 0.8ohm coils in my Aerotank Mega, and I tried EVERYTHING... went through three of them trying various things and no matter what, the 3rd or 4th hit... Pure burning wick... I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong there. I'm putting them in just like I do others in my Mega... I even tried priming one thinking they might be like the Atlantis coils, same thing happened.. I even dropped down to 15watts trying those and still... Dry burning wick taste. I simply cannot get them to wick. I'm considering trying again but if I go through a 5 pack and no luck, I guess I'll be starting a new thread asking what I could possibly be doing wrong with those 0.8 kangers in my mega... lol

welldonedanny

Dec 3, 2014
Asheville
I've had my Atlantis tank and Aspire CF Mod for over 4days now and cannot put it down.

I'm still a greenie here and not into building coils, etc. so my experience is limited.

I came from an itaste svd and and nautilus mini with 1.6 heads, usually running at 3.3-4.0v and 8-9w. Prior to that I was using an aspire ets and ego twist and svd

I prefer a cooler and less heavy hit so the Atlantis is quite good for me. My only complaint is its a bit harsher than the vaping I'm accustomed to on the svd setup... Likely due to the Aspire CF running at about 4.2v...? ??? I'm planning on getting a vv/vw that can run the Atlantis in the near future but it would have to be able to sub ohm.

Any-who, I did a series of dry fires on the Atlantis coil when I first got it. The result was a burnt taste once i filled and primed it. Then It got a bit better after a few dozen draws but not very palatable. So, I changed to the spare coil and nolo problemo!

A few things come to mind:
Check the top portion of your Atlantis tank. It doesn't screw down but is more of a pressure fitting.

Try the spare coil.

Check the wicking holes on the head--- (depending on how you rotate the base and glass tank) you should be able to see the wicking holes or occlude them. I don't know if that will change anything for you as I've tried it on mine and no noticeable difference

Good luck .

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga
I agree with everything above but would add:

Take the base off your battery when changing coils.

the coils wont seat correctly if its on the mod.......And it'll dry hit and leak like a sieve all at the same time.....ALSO, the base is 2 parts with a bottom plate pressed into the top plate. Make sure the AFC ring looks flush between the 2 parts all the way around.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Crxess it is definitely genuine, but thanks for letting me know this so I'll be careful when ordering the replacement.

And everyone I appreciate the responses, but I keep saying that it is NOT giving me dry/burnt hits. It's all vapor, no burning taste whatsoever. It is wicking just fine, I promise you. I merely think the flavor isn't as good as it is in my other tanks. But there is NO burning going on. I only mentioned the difference in flavor to see if others had experienced the same thing.

Plain and simple, even with the airflow down to a minimum, the hit seems WAY too airy. There's absolutely no resistance when you pull on it, in fact, there's very little difference between the pull when it's on the least setting and the max setting. I can only assume that there's an air leak taking these things into consideration. I just wanted to ask around to see if possibly the tank is supposed to be like that. But the air leak would also explain why I'm not getting the amounts of vapor this thing should be producing.

Kaiser Bob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Denver, CO
FWIW I've had no issues with my Atlantis and as far as airflow definite difference between the settings, the lowest setting on Atlantis is a hair looser then highest setting on Nautilus. Airflow shut I get some draw but its like the Nautilus on its tightest setting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
FWIW I've had no issues with my Atlantis and as far as airflow definite difference between the settings, the lowest setting on Atlantis is a hair looser then highest setting on Nautilus. Airflow shut I get some draw but its like the Nautilus on its tightest setting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thank you Kaiser Bob, if that's the case then there definitely something wrong with mine and I'll be ordering another in a few days :)

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Something wrong there, for sure. When I shut off the airflow on my 2, I get no draw at all. As far as flavor goes, the coils seem to take a bit to break in. The taste was pretty funky for the first 1/2 tank or so on mine but then they smoothed out to good flavor and vapor.

BrushyHillGuide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Sabinal, TX
Something wrong there, for sure. When I shut off the airflow on my 2, I get no draw at all. As far as flavor goes, the coils seem to take a bit to break in. The taste was pretty funky for the first 1/2 tank or so on mine but then they smoothed out to good flavor and vapor.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Following comments, it makes since with a 2 piece base, it may well not be fully pressed together. this will likely allow quite a bit of air to travel over/under the ring itself.
With 3 sets of internal holes 1 hole, 2 holes, 3 holes, = 6 total - that is a lot of room for air flow with a leak.
Agreed, you will likely not see Dry hits with it pinched off as long as the wick is saturating.

Have you closed it completely(between holes) to see how much air is pulling in?

Last edited:

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Crxess sure have. That's what I mentioned earlier regarding even it being shut completely with no holes showing its still a pretty easy pull, when it should be none or next to none. Kaiser giving me the comparisons to the airflow of the Nautilus pretty much told me there has to be a leak somewhere, because the smallest setting on my Atlantis would be like having 3-4 of the widest airflow setting on my Nautilus lol

jswag5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Indiana
if the airflow is too loose there will not be enough suction to feed the juice to the wicks properly, maybe not enough to produce dry hits, but lack of flavor and/or vapor.
i would contact the vendor you purchased it from and see about a replacement, if not try to contact aspire direct to see if they cant help you out with the airflow issue

welldonedanny

Dec 3, 2014
Asheville
Finally changed my coil on the Atlantis yesterday, after nearly 3 weeks. The vape started off really heavy, strong and thick, almost too much for me. After about 1/2 tank of liquid it's leveling off at a nice flavor and very smooth and airy. Seems like the opposite of what Finch is experiencing? I did experience this on my first coil but it lightened up more quickly. The newly installed coil is from a fresh 5-pack and is authentic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread