The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Diameter, wraps, surface, all that jazz

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by Joe Vito, Mar 4, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    So in another post, someone was mentioning that he could build a .2 dual coil that would be great around 30 watts, and then another .2 that would be great at around 70 watts. I’m just starting to build coils, and I know this has something to do with mass, surface, diameter, etc...Basically I’d like to learn this so I can target coils to match the watts I want to vape at. And with all due respect, please don’t say “start low and work your way up until you find the vape you like”...I’d rather not waste wire and I like to know the science behind these sorts of things.

Also on a similar yet side note, is there any premade coils I can purchase that tell you recommended watts to vape on it (like you know how coils you buy for tanks will have this)

Thanks all.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Unfortunately the only way to know is trial an error. Most of the I build for me anymoe are either rectangle wire nichrome 80 coils or ss316l fused claptons. They come out at .19ohms-.22ohms either way. I like my wattage set berween 60-70 watts. That's just me. That's the long answer. The quick answer is no.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Yeah I’m vaping a dual tiger coil .20 right now and I like it about 70 watts myself.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Senior Member

Jan 1, 2018
    For my amusement I made one single huge coil in my Pyro 24 RDTA wrapping around a screwdriver with flat clapton SS316L wire. 5 wraps came out to 0.29 ohms if I had to guess its 8mm id. I'm vaping it in TC mode at 60w
    • Like Like x 1
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, there's a lot to it, and resistance isn't everything when building, mass matters as well. If you are getting into exotic builds, I'm afraid you are going to have to do some experimenting and see what works out well for you. Maybe buy a multi-pack of different types of premade coils, that might make your life a little easier as you try different builds and can start figuring out the types of resistance and wire/coil builds that work well for you. Of course, you could also get exotic wires and build your own, but starting with "wattage" and working backward is a bit awkward I'm afraid. Especially when it comes to exotic builds. You may also be surprised that you really like a particular build at a lower wattage than you thought. RTAs are just totally different animals if you ask me (I know you didn't ask me specifically) but they vape differently, and exotic builds can vape even more differently .

So yes, I'm kind of suggesting to start low and work your way up, with a bunch of different builds, it's the only way (that I know of) that you are going to find a "build" that you like.... at whatever wattage, etc.

Sorry. :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. madstabber

madstabber Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

“start low and work your way up until you find the vape youlike”..
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hightech Redneck

Hightech Redneck Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2015
    N C
    Another help would be to use steam engine.
    If you have an android, download vape tool from the play store. You can put in what kind of coil, material, wraps etc... and will recommend wattage.

To try to put it simply though.
    A ss standard round wire build at .2 will not require as much power to get hot.
    The more wire you add as in Clapton, fused, alien or whatever, the more power required to get hot.

Many prefer Clapton or larger for more surface area, the drawback being more power needed. Unless you don't mind holding the button for 3 seconds so it can heat up before you vape.

Hope that helps a little.
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    That sounds great wish they had it for the iPhone
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hightech Redneck

Hightech Redneck Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2015
    N C
    There is a version for iPhone but it doesn't have all of the same functionality. The app looks like this, and I think it is the same icon.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 3
  10. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    AVS, Advanced Vape Supply, gives resistance for most of their coils. Don't pin/limit yourself with a specific wattage. You will miss out some tasty vapes. Learn what resistance you prefer for each coil type.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wayneo

Wayneo Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 5, 2015
    Oh Canada
    Start on the coil wrapping tab. There are detailed explanations below the input fields on all tabs. Over on the right you'll see a field called 'Heat Flux'. If you input a known build you like you can use that value to simulate other builds to that same value. Many of those 'heat' values are also on the 'wire wrapping' tab lower down on the left side
    • Useful Useful x 3
  12. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Thanks for all your help guys. I found the app on the iPhone that I think will be a big help. I’ve fooled around with steam engine but don’t quite understand how to use the heat flux
    • Like Like x 2
  13. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Maximum surface area, minimum mass. Lots of wraps using 26 guage or thinner.
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. Cas002

Cas002 Full Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Omaha NE
    Sonicbomb, stols001 and others who referenced mass are correct in that it will impact your vaping experience, in particular the ramp up/down time. If you are running a high mass build you will need more power to achieve the ideal coil temp in a reasonable amount of time. Ideally, you would maximize the surface area to mass ratio and have the mass within the appropriate range given your power constraints. If you want to vape in the 30-50W range, all other factors being equal (and there are several), shoot for less than 500 mg. Most exotics will be 1,000 mg + and you will likely need 80W or more to have a good experience.

Here is a area/mass table I created a few years ago when I first started building coils that helped me understand what I could do with my then 40W limit with eLeaf TC40s. It shows the mass, surface area, and ratio of the two across a number of different coil configurations including twisted and parallel cores. I hope it helps.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. mackman

mackman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    The heat flux in its most basic configuration: increase/decrease the heat flux number until the heat indicator at the left (flame icon) is the at your desired level and it will give you the watts to set
    • Useful Useful x 1