difference in mg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiLLi0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2014
Portugal
just started vaping a few months ago, and the recommended mg they told me was 18. whats the difference if I went down or up in mg?
meaning, if I go less, is there less burn, up, more burn?

It depends on how much your body needs the nicotine. I think you'll get a bigger throat hit with higher levels.

If you're fine, stay on 18mg.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
"Throat hit", or the burn in the throat, is from the amount of nicotine in e-liquid. More nicotine = more throat burn. Less nicotine = less throat hit.

Generally speaking, the nicotine concentration in e-liquid is available as follows:

0 - 6mg = less than 6 cigarettes a day.
12mg = one pack per day.

18mg = one and half pack per day.
24mg = two packs per day.

JeremiahAG84

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Gatlinburg, TN
Hey there, just reading through this thread and I became a little confused. (And I hope I don't cause more confusion by asking this but here goes...)
I thought that the amount of PG in your liquid regulated the amount of "throat hit" that you received. Or is it a combination of both?

Sent from my N9101 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Hey there, just reading through this thread and I became a little confused. (And I hope I don't cause more confusion by asking this but here goes...)
I thought that the amount of PG in your liquid regulated the amount of "throat hit" that you received. Or is it a combination of both?

Sent from my N9101 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is a combination, however even a juice with very low nicotine can have great TH if there is a lot of PG -- 80% or more -- and vice-versa; even a high-nic juice can have nearly zero TH if it's all or mostly VG.

Andria

yea, that's what I thought. as ive said, im new at all this, but the local store where I get my juice, some flavors seem to have less of a burn than others, and therye all 18mg. someone told me to look at the bottles to see the amount of PG vs VG, and of course it doesn't say. so next time I go make a purchase, im gonna ask em whats the deal.
also if the amount of mg affects the hit. sorry to confuse, but im confused as well, lol!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
and thank you andria for hanging out in the noob section. your posts are always helpful and informative.
:thumbs:

I'm still a noob, I've just got too many posts to be able to start threads here. :D I *think* I've pretty much got the hardware stuff down, but now I'm learning the DIY-ejuice stuff. Just getting started with that, but I think I've finally managed a good-tasting Virginia that's not at all unlike what I've been buying from MyFreedomSmokes.com. Figured I'd better learn that one first, since that's the one which is my substitute for smoking -- if all this FDA hysteria eventually means a lot of the small shops closing, I would be distraught if I couldn't get *this particular* flavor anymore.

Andria

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I'm vaping 24mg/ml and I was a pack a day black n mild smoker.

I found the higher VG content to be more desirable as I like the higher vapor its gives off and the less throat hit it has. Vaping at 24mg gives a good throat hit. Lowering the PG content of the liquid lessens the hit, but also lessens the flavor. Mount Baker Vapor offers flavor shots in their liquid so it makes up for the loss of PG in my liquids. I've found a 80%VG/20%PG combo to be my "golden spot" with 3 flavor shots of the liquid I desire.

I like to make big plumes of vape, and there is still a good amount of flavor to enjoy. I did max VG on a liquid with 4 flavor shots and honestly it tasted way too bland. The PG really does add flavor.

captknots

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2014
philadelphia pa
Throat hit more has to do w. The pg/vg ratio, more pg=more throat hit, the nicotine also effects this but not to the same degree the nicotine level is supposed to satisfy the physical craving, generally if you get a stomache ache, shakey hands ect. It's too much, if u feel that way but like you need to vape more, maybe try a lower nicotine level and/or different pg/vg ratio, mor pg for more throat hit, more vg for more vapor, hope this helps

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Throat hit more has to do w. The pg/vg ratio, more pg=more throat hit, the nicotine also effects this but not to the same degree the nicotine level is supposed to satisfy the physical craving, generally if you get a stomache ache, shakey hands ect. It's too much, if u feel that way but like you need to vape more, maybe try a lower nicotine level and/or different pg/vg ratio, mor pg for more throat hit, more vg for more vapor, hope this helps

I agree; I've never been able to vape more than about 10mg, and when I first started, still smoking, anything over 6mg brought on intense nausea for hours, but I still need that TH or it's just unsatisfying to me, so I've always gone for very high PG.

Also, VG flat-out suffocates me. I have asthma, and I find that if I vape more than 25%-30% VG, I simply can't breathe -- not even the rescue inhaler helps, because there's just too much thick stuff in my lungs. Diluting the high-VG juice with water helps a little, but it's still a problem, so I just try to get my juices in the highest PG level I can find. Unfortunately, my 2nd-favorite flavor, Blueberry Muffin, is 50/50; so I found another shop online that has a Blueberry Muffin flavor and they let you customize PG/VG, so I order it 100% PG and mix it with the really great Blueberry Muffin to bring up the PG level to something I can tolerate.

Andria

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
cool, thanks baditude! Ive been on a steady diet of 18mg, maybe ill try a lesser dose n see how that goes.
One thing you can also try in the step down process is to mix 2 different strengths of the same flavor. For instance, if a vendor sells 24mg, 18mg, 12mg , 6mg and 3mg. Your at 18mg and want to cut down to 12mg, but 12 is too far of a drop... you can mix to get a MG level between 18 and 12 incrementally to ease you down to the lower level. ejuice me up is a DIY eliquid calculator, however it has a tool inside the program called "combine nic levels" to help you do this :)

searchengine

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2014
Scotland
I've only been off cigs for 5 weeks, started at 24mg, and after 1st week cut to 12mg... for the past few weeks I've been using a dripper (Magma rda), and used 6mg in that without feeling any urge to increase nicotine level.

In fact ran out of 6mg yesterday, and used some 12mg in the magma and felt ill... had to stop and get to the shop for the 6mg juice.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
I've only been off cigs for 5 weeks, started at 24mg, and after 1st week cut to 12mg... for the past few weeks I've been using a dripper (Magma rda), and used 6mg in that without feeling any urge to increase nicotine level.

In fact ran out of 6mg yesterday, and used some 12mg in the magma and felt ill... had to stop and get to the shop for the 6mg juice.
O ya... I believe that. Have never been able to go fast 12mg in a dripper without feeling like that. I DIY liquid and have to my 2 batched constantly, 1 for tanks, and 1 for drippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread