Different devices for different toppers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
My MVP works great with my clearos, but I got my SID today and its performance with my cartotank is night and day better than on the MVP. Seems like the MVP was just made to work better with clearos than cartotanks, though maybe it's just my specific devices. Anyone else noticing different performance with toppers on different devices?

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yep! My eVic is great for carto tanks, but I don't like my PT2 on it.

Conversely, my Vamo V2 is awesome with my PT2, but I don't care for it as much with my carto tanks.

Honestly, it usually seems to come down to airflow changing the way a particular topper vapes. They make airflow controllers, or you can just pick which you like with which.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
With some of mine it's the difference in the connector design; some have more airflow than others. Even with the ProVari a few of us have noticed that the 2.5 is a minuscule fraction taller than the 2.0 (only the most OCD of us who vape the versions back-to-back with the same tanks are even aware if this), but it's enough for me to have to add one more layer of airflow restriction on some devices for the 2.5 to get the same vape. I mean it's seriously minuscule! The airflow restrictors I use are as thin as notebook paper. :)

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Yep! My eVic is great for carto tanks, but I don't like my PT2 on it.

Conversely, my Vamo V2 is awesome with my PT2, but I don't care for it as much with my carto tanks.

Honestly, it usually seems to come down to airflow changing the way a particular topper vapes. They make airflow controllers, or you can just pick which you like with which.
Although not the only tunable element... I've found that by measuring and filing the air flow notches on the 510 connector collar (of various devices) to identical (as I can accomplish) dimensions, I can have, with devices which can be adjusted to identical volts or watts, for all intents and purposes, the same vaping experience.

An example is a comparison of a iTaste SVD and a Sigelei Zmax (YMMV). The Zmax 510 collar had air transfer notches .027" (0.069mm) shallower than the SVD... actually almost not there at all. The Zmax, when I initiall purchased it, has a terribly hard draw with everything.
By filing those notches with a jewelers file, the air flow becomes the same, or as Ocelot puts it, a difference that is "seriously minuscule" enough that it is no longer noticed, and identical to the SVD.

C

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Got a link or source for paperthin airflow restrictor? Or are you literally shoving paper in there?:unsure:

With some of mine it's the difference in the connector design; some have more airflow than others. Even with the ProVari a few of us have noticed that the 2.5 is a minuscule fraction taller than the 2.0 (only the most OCD of us who vape the versions back-to-back with the same tanks are even aware if this), but it's enough for me to have to add one more layer of airflow restriction on some devices for the 2.5 to get the same vape. I mean it's seriously minuscule! The airflow restrictors I use are as thin as notebook paper. :)

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Got a link or source for paperthin airflow restrictor? Or are you literally shoving paper in there?:unsure:
Funny guy you is Train'ski. ;-)

I'm not sure what Ocelot is referring to myself, but... You can make one. Not from paper, but from a carto condom, or a piece of surgical tubing. Or you can buy a threaded air flow controller and have a "paper thin" adjustment.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I just wondered - I have an airflow controller thingy on my "one of these days shopping list" (along with a vamo, and probably 15 juices...). The only one I'd seen was a lot thicker than paper...so I was curious what she's using.

Funny guy you is Train'ski. ;-)

I'm not sure what Ocelot is referring to myself, but... You can make one. Not from paper, but from a carto condom, or a piece of surgical tubing. Or you can buy a threaded air flow controller and have a "paper thin" adjustment.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I just wondered - I have an airflow controller thingy on my "one of these days shopping list" (along with a vamo, and probably 15 juices...). The only one I'd seen was a lot thicker than paper...so I was curious what she's using.
Gotcha... perhaps when she rejoins, she can explain what she's using. I just use carto condoms and surgical tubing. I've spent a gazillion bux on other vaping stuff... but I'm some how too cheap to buy a ready to go air controller. :p

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012

I'm not joking about these. They fit perfectly around a 510 connector and can be layered as many times as needed. They also absorb tiny drops of liquid - they won't stop leaking of course, but they absorb the little seeping that happens sometimes. I use them on Protanks, that's the only thing I've had an airy draw problem with, so I don't know if they would work if the problem was with the side air holes.

51XcUGEy5OL._SY300_.jpg

ETA: They last a few tankfuls, I haven't paid attention. I just replace them when they get soggy.

Last edited:

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Somehow I had a hunch that Ocelot really WAS just sticking paper in their... Now I know to always trust my instincts. If they say the kitty is crazy, well I'm right but I am as much crazy as the crazy kiiteh so who's really crazy here? The crazy, or the crazy pointing fingers at the crazy?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
There ya' go... both paper and thin. ECF may be a lot of things, but one thing it's not... is lacking in creativity. ;)

I was actually trying to think of something small, round, with a hole in the center for something else. I found them in the back of a drawer and as I played with them it occurred to me they might work on the Protank.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Somehow I had a hunch that Ocelot really WAS just sticking paper in their... Now I know to always trust my instincts. If they say the kitty is crazy, well I'm right but I am as much crazy as the crazy kiiteh so who's really crazy here? The crazy, or the crazy pointing fingers at the crazy?

I tried the little green pads you put under stuff to protect table tops too, but they were too thick and I had trouble getting the hole perfectly in the center.

Last edited:

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I tried the little green pads you put under stuff to protect table tops too, but they were too fat and I had trouble get the hole perfectly in the center.

There's a "that's what she said" written all over that. Ironically, as Ocelot is a she, SHE REALLY DID SAY THAT! bwahahahaha

Anyway, back on topic. I tried the little green pads too, they didn't work so good. I don't really have a lot of equipment though so my issues are rare and I can just use the other PV.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I'm not joking about these. They fit perfectly around a 510 connector and can be layered as many times as needed. They also absorb tiny drops of liquid - they won't stop leaking of course, but they absorb the little seeping that happens sometimes. I use them on Protanks, that's the only thing I've had an airy draw problem with, so I don't know if they would work if the problem was with the side air holes.

51XcUGEy5OL._SY300_.jpg

ETA: They last a few tankfuls, I haven't paid attention. I just replace them when they get soggy.

Sticky side up? Or down? Together if using two, or apart? Soooooo many questions!!

And I think you can get clear ones, not paper, though, to throw people off... :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread