Status
Not open for further replies.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Here's another ASH blunder only a year ago. It is fitting a day after the 911 anniversary to remember the outrage after they ran the ad. Like this one, they were quick to remove it, but it still exists in cyber world.
Worst Ad Ever? | viz.
First spotted at Andrew Sullivan, but it's also up at Wonkette and Gawker, where one commenter wrote, "Ugh. That's offensive enough to almost make me want to take up smoking."

It's tied to an organization called "Action on Smoking and Health," which has posted a page about the ad on their web site (and has invited the public to respond). While the page states that the ad campaign has only been circulated in draft, it also notes that "The controversy is not so much over the numbers, but rather over whether the analogy is a fair and meaningful one, and whether it is appropriate to compare deaths caused by terrorists (either on 9/11 or more generally) with deaths caused by smoking."

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Here's another ASH blunder only a year ago. It is fitting a day after the 911 anniversary to remember the outrage after they ran the ad. Like this one, they were quick to remove it, but it still exists in cyber world.
Worst Ad Ever? | viz.
First spotted at Andrew Sullivan, but it's also up at Wonkette and Gawker, where one commenter wrote, "Ugh. That's offensive enough to almost make me want to take up smoking."

It's tied to an organization called "Action on Smoking and Health," which has posted a page about the ad on their web site (and has invited the public to respond). While the page states that the ad campaign has only been circulated in draft, it also notes that "The controversy is not so much over the numbers, but rather over whether the analogy is a fair and meaningful one, and whether it is appropriate to compare deaths caused by terrorists (either on 9/11 or more generally) with deaths caused by smoking."

Very offensive.

(Not your post, the pictures ASH tried to hand out in the ad)

I wonder just how many people he ticked off with them.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Yeah, I'm not too keen on the blog post actually - don't really see where it gets us calling Banzhaf a "self-serving piece of ****" etc.

I'd say this blogger (an e-cig company as far as I can see) is going to get themselves an awful lot of hassle from ASH if they carry on like this.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Those pictures actually made me sick!!!!

To even consider comparing the deaths of that day to any smoking related deaths is truly disgusting!!

Yes, the numbers of smoking related deaths is unacceptable (vaping rather than smoking could lower that if the powers that be have any common sense), but comparing it to a terrorist death is something that only the ASH Nazis would think of.

By now there isn't a smoker who doesn't know that it's bad for them. They realize this could likely be the cause of their deaths, even though there is no reliable help for them. This is so much different than someone going to work and ending up dead due to terrorists.

It is sickening, but not unexpected, that someone such as Banzhaf would try to profit form 9/11.

BigJimW

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 17, 2009
    Warwick, RI
    www.moonport.org
    I just hope he ends his career the same way.

I honestly think the e-cig may be that catalyst to end his career. Or at the very least, destroy his credibility within legal circles and nobody, not even judges, will take him seriously.

Up until recently, Banzhaf was sue happy filing the most frivilous lawsuits known to man. Sue McDonalds because Big Macs make you fat, sue for public toilet equality, sue and put into prison distributors of e-cigs because.... we don't know, etc. Sure, he won a few over the decades, but in the inner circles of Law, he gained the title as a "Legal Terrorist", a title that he proudly wears.

He's nothing more than a Michael Moore wannabe.

But enter his jabs on the Electronic Cigarette. He stepped on a nest of ...... off snakes, and there is no turning back. Already, we're deconstructing him bit by bit. Biggest dig was when we found the connection between ASH and Pfizer. The more we find and expose, the shadier his resume becomes.

McDonalds did not care to seek this conflict of interest. WE DID. And we exposed it. Which resulted in a couple of press releases being deleted from ASH and a picture being removed from a still published press release from Banzhaf.

His proclamations are laughable to say the least. That the FDA "banned" them is untrue, and the "30 minute exposure to tobacco smoke will give you a heart attack" is the laughingstock of the medical community. And he quotes this coming from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control), which does not exist.

One of these days, one of our articles exposing this will end up on mainstream news. But until then, we keep digging.

Banzhaf is nothing more than a greasy lawyer making his living sueing everybody and making lives miserable for his own ego and wallet. Quite frankly, the sooner he is taken off this rock called Earth and makes a beeline into Hell where he belongs, the better off mankind will be. And the courts will have less crap to dig through with his 60 something year old ... filing, and I quote from a Rick Bermans response on NBC, these "moronic lawsuits". Watch it for yourself:

YouTube - Rick Berman on NBC's Today

Have a nice day. :)

Last edited:

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
    Apr 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Banzhaf is over the top even more than usual on this one. I think he's vulnerable in taking funding from big pharm and not going after Chantix for over 80 known deaths, and trying to stomp out ecigs. He claims he's promoting health? Why is there no similar pronouncement from ASH about the dangers of that form of smoking cessession???

Hey John, if you're lurkers read this, how about stepping into my dream world for a minute? Imagine if you can, a safer alternative to smoking that would allow people to use nicotine without all the harmful effects you've been railing about for so many years??

We need to direct a bit of anger to whatever manufacturing oversight that one sample with DEG in the FDA tests had, but to discredit a new technology that has so much promise without at least giving offer to the possiblity of setting a safe manufacturing standard for the industry is so cynical, I don't know where to put it.

If it's possible that these claims of a safer alternative are true,,, and we have much preliminary data that shows it can be,,, why would he want to stop it, other than money??

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, this guy better stay out of our way or we will become the catalyst of his downfall. He is messing with the wrong folks this time because we have the truth on our side, and we are fighting for our lives.

If the court's decision comes down against us, it will only serve to focus all of us into action.

We may very well lose the battle, but this is a war we will most definitely win.
    And this ......... better stay out of our way or he will get steamrolled.

sevryn999

Oct 23, 2009
    digg.com
    I can't believe this, but in a way I'm not entirely shocked. The powers that be have always wanted a hand in every pie. They want to be able to control it all!

smoke.jpeg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread