Dirty wick. Unhealthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudeboy615

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2016
South Florida
I'm using a vanilla butter nut flavor but it also happens with other juices. I mtl this tank. This would also happen on my Triton 2 with the 1.8 ohm coil, after a couple of 3ml tanks, when I cleaned the condensation off the drip tip and chimney you could see little specks off black stuff which I'm assuming is carbon build up and potentially unhealthy. Same tank with a .5 Clapton 4mm id I can vape over 30ml vs the 1.5mm id 1.8 coils which lasts less than 15ml.

Reactions: Jdurand

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
Could you show us a picture of what you consider "gunked up", maybe your being really picky on the idea of what dirty is. Most of the black gunk I find is water soluable, so most likely not a carbon. I've always been under the impression it was more carmelized sweetener. Have you tried unflavored to see if you get the same build up?

Reactions: Rudeboy615

Rudeboy615

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2016
South Florida
Ill take more pictures when I rewick.
Bottom of drip tip.

Attachments

• 20161003_171133~2.jpg
    20161003_171133~2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 133

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Plus, gunk on WICK is stuff that's NOT getting vaporized and inhaled. Gunk in the chimney is a little more worrisome...and a little surprising!

uhhh ... how is stuff not getting vaporized being inhaled?? seems to me that it is being contained in the atty/on the coil :blink:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Dirty wick. Unhealthy?

LOL. Maybe. Cant be good.

View attachment 604223

One of the reasons I went to the RDA almost exclusively is cause I just could`nt deal with this every day or two.

that looks normal... especially for tobacco extracted juices.... or high "sugar" ( sweet) juice

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
That looks like one of my wicks after a week's use of Goblins Pipe juice

That was in the first 6 months of vaping for me. I was vaping High Brow "Cigar" and "Perique", which are almost black liquids. Iv learned a lot since then, that I can get the similar flavor from much lighter colors, and now DIY so I control the whole process now. Now once my wicks get glassed over, its time for a re-wick, which is much easier with a RDA then breaking down a tank.

Rudeboy615

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2016
South Florida
I don't necessarily think gunning up is something that can be fixed, although I'm open to suggestions. My main concern is inhaling the black stuff. I'm pretty sure I do inhale some since the black stuff is all up in the chimney and inside drip tip.
No Temp control?
Long Draws = High heat at end of Draw.....
Late release of power = No Heat transfer(concentrated on coil)
Larger Coil dissipates heat more rapidly
No tc here. I'm running 11 watts on a 1.7 ohms 28 gauge kanthal. I do release the fire button before finishing the drag. 2-3 seconds drags max.
That's after only two tanks?
Yes those pictures were taken after two tanks, probably under 8mls of liquid.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
The only place I ever find any dark or blackish gunk is in the coil of an atomizer. Never in my drip tip and in my opinion if I was getting stuff that reminded me of when I was smoking analogs I doubt I would be vaping. When my tank starts spitting I usually use a rolled up piece of a paper towel and I get clear or amber liquid on it even with some very dark colored e0-Liquids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread