Status
Not open for further replies.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I know there’s a lot of info in this forum already, but in light of the current situation, I thought maybe we could streamline the learning process a little bit.

I ask that all of you master mixers ( meaning everyone who makes any juice you like to vape, because you’re successful at it even if you don’t think your juice would win any awards) to pitch in here and simplify the info.

I think the easiest way is to talk about one aspect every day, and the best place to start is ingredients. It seems like nic is the most confusing part for many would-be juice makers, let’s talk about that. What to get, where to get, how to store, etc.

And class remember, There are no stupid questions! Lurk if you must, but please don’t leave until you have all the info you need.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’ll start.

There are a lot of options when buying nic. Starting with the base. 100% pg, 100%vg, or 50/50. It’s a personal preference which to use.

Pg base is thinner and pours more easily, but you may want higher vg if you prefer high or max vg juice, especially if you use a higher nic level.

There are also many strengths. I use 100mg/ml because that’s the strongest I feel comfortable handling, and it’s more cost effective than lower strengths. Again, that’s a preference, and you do what you feel comfortable with. As long as the strength is high enough that when you mix with your flavors, it’s still high enough, you’re good to go.

How much to buy? I buy mine in liters, but you can get 120 ml bottles for $10 or less to start out with, if you’re not ready to make a more substantial investment. You can even buy a kit with everything you need to get started (although the flavors in them may not suit you) for around $25. It’s a good way to test the waters without hunting around for everything and wondering if you have all that you need. Since you’re just starting, we’ll worry about how much nic you’ll need to stock for forever - there’s a calculator- but for now, we just want you to try it and see how feasible juice making is for you.

For long term, I store nic in the freezer. I have a small chest type freezer, and a lifetime supply only takes up half the room in it. Smaller amounts are okay at room temp out of the light for a while. I often keep 30 mls or so in the vape cubby for quick mixes.

Summary: any pg/vg is fine, nic level needs to be high enough to account for flavors, keep it cool/dark, it’s okay to start small.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    ..any differences working with nic salt instead of regular nic?
    I haven't used nic salt eliquid, so this may not be a 100% correct answer, but AFAIK, salt juice can be used the same as freebase juice. They're both liquid, and the only difference I know of is that salty juice :) has less throat hit and a faster nic reaction.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    Nicotine safety.

Because of nicotines ability to be absorbed through the skin, it's a good idea to use gloves when handling it. Another good safety precaution is to wear eye protection.

Laying down a couple paper towels under your equipment is a good idea in case of accidental spills. Always make sure there is absorbent material nearby for spills and cleaning. I use paper towels, but what you use is up to you.

Its a good idea to have your source nicotine in a small bottle unless mixing a large batch of e-liquid. That way if an accident does occur it's easier to contain and clean up. I use a 50mL needle tip squeeze bottle, with a sealing cap. The reason my in-use bottle is plastic and not glass, is that if it gets dropped, it won't break.

If you get nicotine on you don't freak out. Wipe it off, then clean the area with soap and water. Don't let it sit on your skin to finish your mixing session. If it's just a few drops and cleaned up quickly you should be fine. For this reason mixing near the kitchen sink on a countertop is a common practice for many people.

Try to mix on a non-porous, level surface. Make sure to inspect and clean the surface with soap and water your after mixing to ensure that nothing gets left behind. It's also a good idea to have your pets put up, and to choose a time/place where children are not present. Small children and pets are much more sensitive to nicotine toxicity, and this is important to remember.

When storing your in-use bottle, it's a good idea to have it higher than a child or pet can access, or preferably locked up. I know alot of people put it into the refrigerator between uses, but I think this is a bad practice if a child is in the house.

I think that's all I have to say about nicotine safety. Happy mixing folks.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Question. I’m going to start making juice with nic salt for my wife, any differences working with nic salt instead of regular nic?

Salt nic is said to either contain less actual nic or absorb somewhat differently. I personally don’t know if either is true or if there is science to back those ideas.
    It feels to me like it hits me faster and fades faster, but that could just be me.

I use it the same way, in that I wear gloves (I always wear glasses so I have no need for further eye protection, but it’s not a bad idea), I measure with the same equipment, type it into the calculator the same way, and use it interchangeably in recipes.

I do tend to use regular nic unless I’m making a higher nic juice for pods - mainly, regular is cheaper. The TH is much less at higher levels, but I can’t tell the difference at 6 mgs. I haven’t tried them side by side at other mgs/ml.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
    I haven't used nic salt eliquid, so this may not be a 100% correct answer, but AFAIK, salt juice can be used the same as freebase juice. They're both liquid, and the only difference I know of is that salty juice :) has less throat hit and a faster nic reaction.
    I have both types of nic,, I use both the same way/measurements.

Dont know if it really matters, but for my own piece of mind my nic is in pg,. I want to know that it is well mixed when I shake the nic bottle,,, if it were in vg I would likely OCD myself into worrying I didn't shake it enough

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2013
    Springfield, MO
    I would like to add the following safety advice. If you parse your nic into smaller bottles as I do, label them accordingly for the fact they contain nicotine and the concentration. I have a separate nic fridge/freezer and no children or pets at home anymore, but it is a safety precaution both for my memory and in case something were to happen to my wife and I so someone would be warned. Also, clean out the bottle it comes in if you are discarding it in the trash.

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    If I might add two-cents of advice to the thread:

If you are just getting started with DIY eliquid, I'd suggest your first mix be unflavored at your preferred nic and pg/vg levels. Why? Three simple reasons:
    1. it is good know what the simplest recipe with your primary ingredients tastes/feels like
    2. you can use unflavored to mix with a recipe that turned out too strongly flavored (or a store bought liquid that's too strongly flavored).
    3. you might find that unflavored is actually a good vape on its own, there are many of us who enjoy vaping unflavored.
    Edit: to expand on point one: whenever I get new nicotine to rebottle and store I always put aside 10ml to mix into unflavored and vape it on a fresh coil/wick ... aside from the clarity and and odor, this is my 'quality control' taste test.

And, to perhaps bring my post's worth up to a full nickel:

A simple menthol recipe can be as easy as:
    - 10ml of unflavored at your preferred nic and pg/vg level
    - one drop of TFA Menthol

That's it, shake and vape. I like to add a few drops of Ethyl Maltol 10% solution (also known as Cotton Candy flavor if you prefer to buy it premixed) --- not enough to add any real sweetness or Cotton Candy flavor, but it does change the "mouthfeel" of the vape, it makes it feel a bit thicker?/richer?/smoother?/fluffier? in some way.

Last edited:

*RJ*

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 28, 2015
    Vaping since 8/9/2012

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    So sorry I’ve not kept up with this thread. Lost my mom and things have been tough...

@jandrew great points! I live alone with the exception of pets, who are all too small to get into my nic. But I like to label because I know I’ll lose track of where it came from and when, and if anyone else ever had to clean my freezer out they’d need to know what that is.

@*RJ* iirc WL has always been more expensive, but then, we didn’t used to have as many choices, and their nic is really good.

Still, I buy mine from a lot of sites, whoever is having a sale really. Most sites I’ve seen in the DIY have great reputations.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    So sorry I’ve not kept up with this thread. Lost my mom and things have been tough...
    My sincerest condolences to you and everybody affected by this loss.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread