DIY beginner recipe struggle - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMSD64

Aug 26, 2014
San Diego
Using 60mg 100%VG NIC (bought 500ml so I'm stuck with it for some time) PG, VG and flavor concentrates all from Wizard Labs.

I seem to have a dislike for PG content higher than 30%, so I've been test mixing at 30PG/70VG at an eventual target of12mg NIC (what I like from store bought).

I noticed that either the NIC is concentrated at the top of the jar or fresh NIC is very strong, my Lemonade/Bavarian Cream test batch at 12mg made me "agitated" (for lack of a better word).

I am using Aspire products for vaping: Nautilus mini with 1.8 head and the 1000mah VV+ battery.

First test recipe: Was supposed to be a vanilla with caramel, Bavarian cream and sweetened by cotton candy undertones.

5ml batch 30PG/70VG with 6mg nic (low nic as to waste it on test)

NIC: 0.5ml (10%)
PG: 0.25ml (5%)
VG: 3ml (60%)
Vanilla Bourbon (TFA): 0.6ml (12%)
Cotton Candy (TFA): 0.25ml (5%)
Bavarian Cream (TFA): 0.2ml (4%)
Creamy Caramel (LorAnn): 0.2ml (4%)

Steeped it well

It seems to want to gurgle on the coils at lower voltages and tastes a bit "burnt at higher voltages that gurgle less. Certainly no snap and crackle going on even with new head and fresh charge.

The taste: well not what I was aiming for - light sweet at best with almost no vanilla noticed upfront (when gurgling at voltages below 4v and an overheated sugar with kind of a burnt coil taste above 4v (and bit in general now that I'm tasting while writing).

I wouldn't call it a total fail (as my pure chemical burn test with 20% vanilla cupcake at 50/50 PG/VG), but not a keeper flavor to be sure. The gurgling in the head upsets me and leaves lots of vape juice "drippings" in the Aspire mini Nautilus airways.

Second test issue: thought the test batch of same with 1/2 the NIC as this was a keeper but at a 10ml mix discovered it may not be.

Flavor - Lemonade and Bavarian Cream 30PG/70VG with 12mg NIC - 10ml batch

NIC: 2ml (20%)
PG: 1.5ml (16%)
VG: 5ml (50%)
Lemonade (LorAnn): 1.1ml (11%)
Bavarian Cream (TFA): 0.4ml (4%)

Steeped it well

It tastes like some alcohol was added (maybe form the lemonade) and a bit harsh. It vapes better in the head than the previous recipe, but something's wrong with it. Also the NIC buzz is a bit overwhelming, or something is causing a "amphetamine type over-buzz". I really wanted to like it, but something "is not right".

Sorry for all the writing, but I wanted include all the details in my "help me request".

I am discouraged from my DIY attempts and have a small box filled with flavor concentrates I chose badly (newbie fears) and am afraid to use now.

I just wanted to try and get a nice vanilla-sweet vape, a fruit cream (lemon, strawberry, raspberry, blackberry etc.) to mix it up and eventually a nice vanilla light tobacco, plus some fun other flavor mixes to try out, but am quite discouraged. I keep buying more flavors from Wizard labs, but held my current pending order for some advice first.

Definitely unsure of flavor percentages and what the hell to do now.

Any advice and help would save my soul right now from depression at failing.

NOTE added: I just discovered if I suck much harder when vaping the gurgling in the atomizer head is quite a bit less at the lower voltages.

Last edited:

Raztax

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2014
Nova Scotia
Its much easier to start with single flavors to get your percentages worked out. Its hard to say what 'you' should use since taste is very subjective. Also if you have a four flavour recipe and it doesnt taste quite right, its very hard to determine which one to tweak since you dont have any baseline results.
What one person finds overpowering at 10%, someone else may find way to weak.
Also I find my nic % has dropped since I started DiY. I started at 18 and am now down to 8.
Keep at it, Ive only been doing it for about 6 weeks now, and my reject bin is much bigger than my keeper bin...but it sure feels good when you come up with a keeper recipe!
Good luck!

Kropotkin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Maine
Hello, MMSD64.

:)

When I first started DIY, about three months ago, I also found my usual nicotine percentage way too strong. I thought I must be making a mistake somewhere, so I asked about it in this forum. The answers I got were very interesting:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/571239-noob-question-nic-strength.html

Simply adjusting your nicotine level will probably help a lot, but it sounds like you also need to do some reading on the various flavoring brands. They really do require very different percentages. I'd suggest you search through the forum for threads on each of the brands you already have, and then follow Raztax's excellent advice about keeping it simple to start.

Good luck, New Comrade! And don't be discouraged. I get the impression everybody makes some pretty ghastly messes at the very beginning - I know I did.

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Try dialing back your percentages, it is much easier to add more flavor than it is to try and dilute it if you over flavor. If I were making an attempt at your exact flavors of:
Vanilla Bourbon (TFA): 0.6ml (12%)
Cotton Candy (TFA): 0.25ml (5%)
Bavarian Cream (TFA): 0.2ml (4%)
Creamy Caramel (LorAnn): 0.2ml (4%)

I would start more like:
Vanilla Bourbon (TFA): 0.6ml (6%)
Cotton Candy (TFA): 0.25ml (1%)
Bavarian Cream (TFA): 0.2ml (2.5%)
Creamy Caramel (LorAnn): 0.2ml (1%)

I have not used the LA Lemonade, but of all LA flavors generally it only takes a teensy bit. A little really goes a very long way.

Overflavoring (oddly enough) can make your liquid taste like nothing, soap, perfume, chemicals etc. Maybe try even just adding 5 ml of 70v/30p 6mg to your already mixed version of the first one, I would *guess* that in cutting it in half you will notice a drastic improvement :)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
If I'd change one thing, it would be that cotton candy. 5% is way too much, I'd think. That explains both the poor taste and bad performance. Don't get me wrong, I love me some EM (and that's what cotton candy is, basically), but it works better for some things than others. There are other ways to get some sweetness that don't weird out your flavors that way. My fave is Stevia.

odoyal63

Verified Member
If I'd change one thing, it would be that cotton candy. 5% is way too much, I'd think. That explains both the poor taste and bad performance. Don't get me wrong, I love me some EM (and that's what cotton candy is, basically), but it works better for some things than others. There are other ways to get some sweetness that don't weird out your flavors that way. My fave is Stevia.

I have to second this. I rarely use EM but when I do I use very little .5 max. It does have it's uses but not as a sweetener IMO. ez sweets works really well also but I would make sure to predilute a little goes a long long way

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I would leave out the Cotton candy (EM) all together. That's whats likely causing the burning. Sweeter flavors tend to taste burnt at higher voltages. Those flavors should be sweet enough without it. Also as creepylady said try dialing back your percentages on the rest of the flavors. The recommendations she gave sound very reasonable. Her advice is right on target.

Also if your getting a head rush (Buzz) then your using to much NIC I would as creepylady suggested cut the NIC to 8 or 6mg. This would eliminate the head rush and reduce the harshness. If you feel that the NIC is accumulating to the top of the bottle (Which is unusual) warm the VG NIC first to thin it then shake it well before using.
NIC usually doesn't seperate from VG unless the concentration is above 200mg.

Last edited:

Heabob

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2014
Bay City, Michigan
Gurgling (flooding) may have more to do with some of your issues.
Usually caused by juice leaking in around the wicks, ie wicks aren't fluffed up good enough on the ends.
Unfortunately it's too hard to rebuild BDC heads, so your likely stuck with stock the silica wicked heads, which I've never liked.
Sucking to hard, (caused by too small air holes), will also contribute to flooding.
It's why I like the Kanger Airflow Controller, as it moves the air holes out of the 510 battery thread hole.
And makes them external, (on the sides) which improves the airflow.
I wanted to be able to rebuild my own heads so I stuck with a single coil Anyvape Davide BCC, and got a Kanger Airflow Controller for it.
Comes with a beauty ring too, for adapting to the smaller ego thread type batteries.
I can now use my micro coils and either cotton or rayon wicks, much better vape now IMO.
Even a Kanger PT2 with the Airflow Controller would be better to start out with.

Just thinking you need to get your vape gear squared away before bangin' your head to much about recipes, lol.

R Coy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I mixed up a few flavors, custard, banana, orange, strawberry, chocolate, and a doublemint blend and mix them together a bit at a time. I steep most stuff for a couple hrs in a UC as well.

I have several mini nautilus's (nautili?) and they work really well ot sure why yours is acting up.

Raztax

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2014
Nova Scotia
Gurgle in the Nautilus tanks can be caused by juice leaking past the coil, make sure you tighten the coil every time you open the tank. It can also be caused by using too small of an air hole for the viscosity of the juice. Thinner juices need more air flow while thicker juices need a higher juice to air flow ratio. Condensation in the chimney can drip down and cause gurgle as well.

Any time one of my Nautilus tanks starts to gurgle a little I open up to the largest air hole for a few draws which may clear it up, or if it's bad, you can hold the tank horizontally with the air hole on the bottom, hold paper towel under it and blow into the tank a couple times. This should clear out any liquid that got past the coil, or accumulated in the bottom from condensation.

DiY can be frustrating, especially when you mix flavours that 'should' taste good together, but turn out tasting like gym socks...but it's all a learning experience and the failures make success that much better. Stick with it and you will be rewarded.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread