DIY Burnt Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
Hi, first of all i am a noob at this diy stuffs but i am keen to learn. I dont understand the percentage analogy. I heard nice things about Lorann, and great things on other flavor brands. I used Lorann's cola about 1ml, 75ml vg, 3ml of 100mg/ml nic, 6ml tequila, 5ml sucralose, and 7ml pg. the cola does taste nice and is there for the first 1-2 second puffs. Great clouds. But if it was a looong drag it will taste slightly burnt. Not dry hit burn taste, but i am certain its a burnt flavor taste.

help me understand, what ingredient that makes out the burnt taste? I understand more pg means more taste, but i am trying to make a higher vg juice for clouds but just enough flavor so you are actually enjoying the puff. Not just tasteless clouds. I dont mind not strong pungent flavors but just not a fan of the burnt taste. The burnt taste is not strong tho, just enough to make the cola taste a little smokey nuttyish taste.

Same goes with my lorann grape. That familiar burnt taste is there. When i use bakels strawberry or honeydew its worse. So i diagnosed that its the flavoring that is burning. Either that or the sucralose? Thats the only thing i could think of.

Its not my rig, nor my builds. My goliath tastes just fine, my forge too, subtank a ok. My fav all day zeph gorgeous clouds. Its not my mod(s).

Lecture me if you need to, coz honestly i really dont understand the online juice calculator thingy. I know how to calculate the nic, so dont worry on that, i am not gonna kill myself. But i am just so so frustrated with this burnt taste.

Is it even possible to get sweet flavors from high vg diys? I bought vendor's 100% vg before. My flavors are out much better, but still burnt taste. The vendors doesnt taste burnt but the taste is not there, i could taste just a little sweetiness and hints of the blackcurrant. My grape tastes more but a little long drags i can taste that tiny burn. Same with the cola. Cloud wise great. No throat hits but after chain puffin i donget buzzed a little.

Any inputs from anyone i would appreciate it. Suggestions on recipes and formulas, comments on my formulas, suggestions on flavor brands etc i would love to hear.

Heed my cry ladies and gentlemen....

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Your mix may be to thick to wick properly so it sounds like your experiencing dry hits . Pour 10ml's of that mix into another bottle (Making a test sample) And add 1ml (10%) Distilled water and see if that eliminates that burnt taste. If not you may have burn the wick and will need to change it.. Mixes with high VG content always need to be thinned.

Also your using 5% sacralose which can cake you coils you should use no more then 1% (About 1ml).

Your example showed that you made apprx a 100ml mix. Just a suggestion that you may want to make 10ml test batches before you go for the larger amounts. If it don't work out you wasted 10mls and not 100mls.

Last edited:

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
Your mix may be to thick to wick properly so it sounds like your experiencing dry hits . Pour 10ml's of that mix into another bottle (Making a test sample) And add 1ml (10%) Distilled water and see if that eliminates that burnt taste. If not you may have burn the wick and will need to change it.. Mixes with high VG content always need to be thinned.

Also your using 2.5% sacarlos which can cake you coils you should use no more then 1% (About 1.5ml).

Ok, so the tequila doesnt work to thin it out? I still need water? Or without tequila i need to put more water? I suspected that too about the sucralose. I will try it out.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Where on Earth did you get the idea to use tequila in your DIY?? That's probably the source of your undesired burnt taste. Delete the tequila from your DIY. Focus on unflavored liquids to dilute. PGA or distilled water are best, but only require a tiny amount for the effect.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Ok, so the tequila doesnt work to thin it out? I still need water? Or without tequila i need to put more water? I suspected that too about the sucralose. I will try it out.

Tequila should thin it but the alcohol may be giving the burnt taste. Not sure of that as I don't use alcohol beverages in my mix but I would at least want to evaporate out the alcohol if all you want is the tequila taste. Also 6mls of tequila may not be enough. The end result should be a mix with a consistancy of PG. I myself would eliminate it and use DW.

Reactions: Kenna

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
Tequila should thin it but the alcohol may be giving the burnt taste. Not sure of that as I don't use alcohol beverages in my mix but I would at least want to evaporate out the alcohol if all you want is the tequila taste. Also 6mls of tequila may not be enough. The end result should be a mix with a consistancy of PG. I myself would eliminate it and use DW.

I used tequila because i was out of vodka. But ok, i'll take all aspect full on. I'll use water instead of the tequila, and lower the sucralose. Will let you guys know what us the results soon. I suspected it was sucralose or the tequila or the flavor agent.

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
Where on Earth did you get the idea to use tequila in your DIY?? That's probably the source of your undesired burnt taste. Delete the tequila from your DIY. Focus on unflavored liquids to dilute. PGA or distilled water are best, but only require a tiny amount for the effect.

The tequila idea was from me, usualy used vodka.

Ok, so now to thin out vg i use water no more than 10%, and sucralose no more than 1%?

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Yes, sucralose at a minimum e.g. up to 1%, and water sounds fine at 10%. That wil roughly be the same viscosity as a 40/60 pg/vg mix. If still to thick for your device(s), then you can try e.g. 15%, which would yield a 60/40 pg/vg mix thereabouts, up to about 20%(probably a little to much for high wattages), which is aprox. 80/20 pg/vg..

Edit: sorry, just noticed you aren't using only vg, but also use pg...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dixie1954

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
Yes, sucralose at a minimum e.g. up to 1%, and water sounds fine at 10%. That wil roughly be the same viscosity as a 40/60 pg/vg mix. If still to thick for your device(s), then you can try e.g. 15%, which would yield a 60/40 pg/vg mix thereabouts, up to about 20%(probably a little to much for high wattages), which is aprox. 80/20 pg/vg..

Edit: sorry, just noticed you aren't using only vg, but also use pg...

Thank you very much for your kind help. I am actually trying my best to understand what's what. So now i know sucralose gunks up the coils so i guess from there burnt taste. Alcohol burnt taste too. How could i miss that, sigh, alcohol boils faster than water. So, what is the usual percentages for flavors? Too much burnt taste too?

suburbiansam

Verified Member
May 16, 2015
there are suggested flavor percentages in the diy forum (at the top) or just search for a flavoring list for your brand of diy flavors. I usually go between 10 and 20% depending upon which brand I use. Some, like FA need only about 5-7% to taste nice. as danny was suggesting, try making small test batches. they are easy to track where you went wrong/what you need to tweak to get it to your personal taste. I like to do "experiments" with different percentages of different flavors, and select the one that is closest to what I like and go from there. It's fun, but it takes time and patience (and good logs of what you did!) Good luck.

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
there are suggested flavor percentages in the diy forum (at the top) or just search for a flavoring list for your brand of diy flavors. I usually go between 10 and 20% depending upon which brand I use. Some, like FA need only about 5-7% to taste nice. as danny was suggesting, try making small test batches. they are easy to track where you went wrong/what you need to tweak to get it to your personal taste. I like to do "experiments" with different percentages of different flavors, and select the one that is closest to what I like and go from there. It's fun, but it takes time and patience (and good logs of what you did!) Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. But does over flavoring makes off the burnt taste?

Also your using 5% sacralose which can cake you coils you should use no more then 1% (About 1ml).

Your example showed that you made apprx a 100ml mix. Just a suggestion that you may want to make 10ml test batches before you go for the larger amounts. If it don't work out you wasted 10mls and not 100mls.
I think the long drag = burnt taste is the key clue that you have a wicking issue.
Sounds about right, burnt hit = not enough liquid in the coil

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
No, you would just have an overpowering of the flavour, right, not burnt taste, unless something else is in the equation ei. too high wattage

Or with some flavors such as TFA over flavoring actually can result in less taste. Over flavoring with ultra sweet flavors will result in a clogging of the coil and a decrease in vapor and taste over time. It will usually not result in a burn taste. Over powering (to high a voltage) can result in burnt taste as well as to thick a mix (Poor wicking). The best suggestion given so far is add more DW. OP have you tried that yet???????

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
Or with some flavors such as TFA over flavoring actually can result in less taste. Over flavoring with ultra sweet flavors will result in a clogging of the coil and a decrease in vapor and taste over time. It will usually not result in a burn taste. Over powering (to high a voltage) can result in burnt taste as well as to thick a mix (Poor wicking). The best suggestion given so far is add more DW. OP have you tried that yet???????

Very sorry on slow replies. Yes sir i have! No burnt taste but the tequila taste is prominent much more hence the taste of the burn is actually the result of the tequila.. The burnt like taste was the tequila evaporating fast IMO. So, i tried your suggestion, which is lessen the sucralose and follow 10%DW, and subs idea on 1% flavourings. Its gorgeous. What i expected initially. Great clouds, smooth vape, tiny hit from the nic and still much much more flavor and still can taste the VG just a little. When i bought the vendors 100% VG the blackcurrent was really really weak but the VG taste was high. So what i did is 10mls of 10% DW, 5% Lorans Grape, 1% Sucralose (this was tricky), 1% 100mg/ml Nic, 3% PG, 80% VG. BUT, it wasnt as sweet as i wanted it to be. Which is still ok because this taste is actually what i wanted and expected just the next step from here is to find out how to make it sweeter.

Thank you very much sir danny for your pointers, sub for the flavourings addition and everyone else too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread