DIY Juice Color vs Vendor Juice Color Over Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertNC

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2012
Athens
OK so now I am curious about OP's experiences.

1) My juices invariably darken, presumably basic oxidation, over time, although in many cases the flavor improves, not always, so I don't absolutely agree with the seeming rule of thumb that "tobaccos must be steeped".

(Incidentally, it is trivial but bugs the .... outta me for some reason - if you are mixing liquids there is no such thing as "steeping", which by definition is a process where liquid is left in contact with solid matter. You steep tea leaves, you may steep tobacco leaf if you are using it, but you ain't steeping no juice, there ain't no such thing, period, it's aging not steeping. But call it what you like, and I digress ....)

2) Out of curiosity I made some various flavor bases up with no nicotine, and as long as they do not have vanillin in them, at least so far - a couple of weeks - no color change.

3) I have had some batches of nic base darken gradually, but others have stayed clear a long time and I keep it all in the freezer now. Even juices with nicotine base that stayed clear at RT darkened in less than two weeks.

Emprically, I would hypothesize that (in the absence of something like vanillin, which itself if fact darkens much less rapidly even when highly diluted than nic juices also) it is the nicotine in conjunction with flavorings and dilution and oxidation that result in darkening upon steeping *aging*.

I pulled out some old vendor juices which are at 24mg Nicotine and after months, having been opened and in identical containers and storage as my DIY juices, they have not (appreciably) darkened upon lengthy steeping *aging*.

Which leads finally to my question:

In light of the fact I have an almost dead bottle of nic base that has been around for months also at RT and is still clear, presumably at least some batches of nic base I have used have been of comparable quality to any out there, yet my juices stilll darkened.

What do "they" do differently I wonder? Maybe adding a little BHT and not telling anyone or ....?

????

Spazzer

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2013
Upstate NY
Some of my DIY juices darken, some don't.
Some of my vender juices darken, some don't.

I have a vender juice that was very pale amber when I got it three months ago. Now it's a very dark brown, so dark that light hardly passes through, but it still tastes the same.

Why do some juices darken or change color and others don't? Beats me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread