DIY Juice Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat123

Oct 10, 2012
California
I cannot post in the DIY juice section yet so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone can help. I'm failing at DIY e juice, every flavor tastes disgusting. Any tips/comments appreciated.

My hardware: Provari V1, usually @ 4v with Smoktech tank/carto 1.5 ohm

My favorite pre-mixed juices: Backwoods brew (BWB) Honey Flue Nut Tobbaco, Malty, Root Beer. Cooper Creek Apple Cider. All @ "super light" 3mg/ml

My DIY supplies: 24mg/ml nic in 100% PG, PG, VG. Flavoring: Root beer, Apple, Sassafras, Cinnamon, Black Honey, Black Honey Tobacco. All from Wizard Labs.

My mix: 70/30 pg/VG, 2%~4% flavoring strength. Used e juice calculator measured with syringes not drops.

Resukt: Not mixing flavors but everything tastes like crap. It's not too strong but just plain disgusting. Any ideas ?? Help appreciated!

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
Best way to get started is to try mixing each flavor separately till you know what % you like. Start low % and work up- steep in hot water let cool and then try it. Can be a long and trying process. Then you will be able to start combining them. Tobaccos 2-4% but fruits or others can
can go as high as 10-15% depending on brand of flavor.

Kat123

Oct 10, 2012
California
Best way to get started is to try mixing each flavor separately till you know what % you like. Start low % and work up- steep in hot water let cool and then try it. Can be a long and trying process. Then you will be able to start combining them. Tobaccos 2-4% but fruits or others can
can go as high as 10-15% depending on brand of flavor.

The flavor is strong enough, and I start really low (2% to 4%). It just tastes so bad.... I'll try the water steeping method.

gimmieshelter31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Baltimore,MD
First, making your own juice is satisfying IF you take the time to learn your preferred % and characteristics of each flavor. There are no shortcuts here . What I like , you may not. I have been DIY'ing for about 6 months with some but limited success. I would suggest first to try some of the recipes in the DIY sticky thread . Find something that looks appealing and give it a go.

Secondly , I see from your supply list that you have no flavor enhancers or sweeteners. Most ,though not all recipes contain enhancers/smoothing agents such as Ethyl Maltol,sucralose,citric acid etc.

Patience is rewarded. Example : I made up a batch using Flavour Art Perique Black tobacco flavoring and EM (ethyl maltol) and a couple drops apple cider vinegar. After 2 days I thought it was disgustingly harsh though it is known to be a somewhat harsher tobacco flavor. I put it aside and revisited about 3 weeks later and it was a lot nicer and quite vapable . Still not vendor quality in my mind though still ok.

Though you cannot post in other forums , there is a LOT of info to be gleaned from those threads.

DIY is not inexpensive in the beginning.If making your own high quality juice was easy, there would be little demand from juice vendors.
Having said that, making juice yourself can be rewarding. Be patient ,take meticulous notes and read all the info you can . A good source is to search ECF member Hoosier. His blogs concerning DIY are very enlightening.

One last suggestion is to try flavorings from Capellas as they are very forgiving percentage wise and the flavors are as described.
Also, the super concentrated flavorings offered at Vapingzone and Ecigexpress are popular as they are generally considered to give very favorable results in the 2-4% range .

You may find DIY is really a headache and not at all worth the effort and that would be ok. Most people try it to save money. Believe me when I say , you won't be saving money any time soon. BUT,if you like to tinker with recipes and can live with some disappointment from having not created your all time favorite juice right away, I think you'll find that when you DO make a juice that you really enjoy,the satisfaction of that can be no greater.

I do suggest you throw up a few more posts here so you can participate in other areas of ECF.

Good luck.

Kat123

Oct 10, 2012
California
Gimmie thanks for the lengthy reply! I did an experiment today where I mixed nothing but PG nic, PG and VG in 70/30 ratio. As I suspect, much of the "disgusting taste" actually came from these ingredients. I was hoping the "blank" vape to taste ... well to be tasteless and it's not true. Of course I was using a new carto, clean glassware etc so there is no contamination. Is it Wizard Labs or do all PG/VG/nic have an inherent (nasty) flavor.

I'm a very light vaper both in terms of nic level and flavor. Any ideas on how to counter this?
And yes, I saw Capella's on several threads and will try them. Thanks!

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Kat. Just so you have some basis to compare one against the next. I have been diy for almost 18 months. Nicotine has a general (only word i can find is) peppery flavor. Not like black papper more like an orange bell pepper. PG on the other hand has virtually zero flavor(to me) and actually seems to lend itself completly to the flavor it carries. VG has quite a bit of sweetness to it, and does seem to dull or color the flavors it carries toward a sweeter finishing note.

With your low nic requirement you should begin at a very low % of flavor to base. I have found that as your overall nic in your recipe comes down that the % of flavoring need not be as strong.I do not know anyone at BWB but I have tried many of their liquids and I feel your tastes(based on your listed favs) lean heavier on the VG side. I do prefer High VG liquids over all other blends. This can be achieved in diy with the addition of Distilled water(or Puge Grain Alcohol). I use 9%Distilled water, and all VG liquid(both nic and filler) aside from any flavoring that I make that would be suspended in PG or a mix of VG/PG. I generally feel that PG is too harsh for me and I generally prefer a little sweeter vape.

I Have no experience with Wizard, But I have heard from a few folks that there have been issues with their nic being a little "off" tasting. You would have to confer with one of those folks to have supporting information. I do remember this being put up on the liquid section of the ecf. If you post a response to this , you will reach your 5 posts and just have to wait a little to then post any further questions you have over in the diy threads. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

Last edited:

gimmieshelter31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Baltimore,MD
Gimmie thanks for the lengthy reply! I did an experiment today where I mixed nothing but PG nic, PG and VG in 70/30 ratio. As I suspect, much of the "disgusting taste" actually came from these ingredients. I was hoping the "blank" vape to taste ... well to be tasteless and it's not true. Of course I was using a new carto, clean glassware etc so there is no contamination. Is it Wizard Labs or do all PG/VG/nic have an inherent (nasty) flavor.

I'm a very light vaper both in terms of nic level and flavor. Any ideas on how to counter this?
And yes, I saw Capella's on several threads and will try them. Thanks!

All depends on your taste buds but some people do not like the taste of pg and some like some brands of vg over others .As to nicotine, some nic has a peppery taste ,others less so. Nicotine can also give a fishy for lack of a better description smell and taste . There is a thread on taste comparisons of different nicotine suppliers in the DIY forum that makes for a good read. I currently have WizardLabs 70/30 pg/vg nic and do not find it offensive . Again , everyone has a different sense of taste.

My next order of nicotine will probably come from elsewhere,just for comparison, though Wizard Labs is much less expensive. Like cooking , better ingredients give better results. I'm not saying WL nic isn't good ,I have only ordered nicotine from 2 different suppliers and I liked the WL much more than the nic I used from Voidmist.

I don't see anything you have done wrong.You may have to up your flavoring a little or just give the mixes you have made more time for the flavors to meld(steep). Read , read and read some more. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but if there are any more questions you may have ,I'll try to answer them the best I can. At least steer you to the info.

I try to keep some vendor juice around so I don't get too impatient with my mixes .Again , have fun with it , learn all you can and ask questions. Good luck to you!!!

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
When I started I had to have pre-made juice around cause my mixes were lets say - just horrible.. It takes time and a lot of testing that most just won't waste time on. I bought about 50 flavors to begin with and had all the equip and didn't have a clue. To do it again I would start slow and work with 3-5 flavors at most. 2 tobaccos and 3 fruits some ethyl maltol and maybe a cream of some type or vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread