DIY Juice makers can ya give me a hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start making my own juice. I got an IPV3 with a Plume Veil usually with a .9 ohm dual coil build and it drinks up juice like there's no tomorrow. Making my own juice seems like a cheaper alternative rather than pay $17 for 30ml at my local vape shop. I've done .... loads of research. And I've compiled a shopping list. On my list:
VG 1000ml
PG 250ml
Flavorings from MyFreedomSmokes.com
Bottles: 3ml, 6ml, 10ml, 30ml. 5 each
Gloves and goggles
Syringes: 1ml, 3ml, 10ml. 5 each.

This is just my starting kit. I'm sure this will grow as time goes on. Just as my pv collection did. Anybody have any suggestions for things I should add to my list? Any helpful tips that you wish someone had told you when you first started mixing your own juice? I hear small amounts of Everclear can add throat hit, but I don't think I'll mess around with that just yet. Some ejuice calculators called for water. I thought we were supposed to keep water out of our juice? I've seen recipes calling for liquid Stevia extract for sweetener? I might need to get some of that, I love fruit and dessert flavors. Guess I had more questions than I thought. If anybody can answer any of these questions it'd be a great help for me.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
You've got no Nicotine there - are you vaping 0 Nic?
You can get other sweeteners that you add like another flavoring - two I'd recommend:
1) Get some "Bubble Gum" flavor - otherwise known as Ethyl Maltol, a good sweetener. Doesn't taste like cotton candy in low percentages
2) I use "Bavarian Cream" as a creamy sweetener in a lot of mixes - desserts, but also tobacco and fruits...

SndGrdn

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2014
Courtdale, PA, Ω
More 1ml syringes....I would go for the 5ml instead of 3ml....some flavors will ruin syringes...also use fingernail polish on the measurement marks to make them last longer.

more bottles....you will be surprised how quick you go through 50 bottles....I have switched over to 60ml glass bottles and make 50ml batches this leaves plenty of more for shaking it up better...then I let them steep in the glass bottles and use a 5ml or 10ml syringe to transfer to my plastic drip-tip bottles...

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Nothing against DIY Flavorshack, but I think you were doing OK putting your own list together.
Unless you need an apron, and funnels, and the toolbox... If not, you'll end up with more stuff for your money picking what you really need.

And I use syringes and bottles, but don't use the pipettes and some other extra glassware I bought when I started.
What I DID have to end up getting - bigger bottles, after I landed on a couple "All Day Vape" flavors.

I now mix my favorite juice 110 mls at a time (in a 120 ml bottle).
That lasts me weeks...and costs me less than $6.
:D

Although now I'm thinking about this thing: The "ULTIMATE" DIY Kit - This Kit Comes with 30ml of 48mg UnFlavored Mixing E-Liquid In This Kit. Maybe buy some extra PG and VG and flavorings.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
truly, most kits for DIY mixing, are a major waste. One does need syringes, for measuring, what you listed is fine, but, highly recommend some 20 and 50 ml syringes also, I buy VG by the gallon. Nic in a PG base, easier to measure, handle, and mix, and pg in 500 ml bottle. Glass rods are fraking great for stirring, and a couple glass flasks for mixing are nice, but one can get by with mason/kerr jars no problem.

I pretty much use Wizard Labs exclusively for all me DIY juice supplies and needs. Orders over $60 ship free.

adding water(distilled) or alcohol, is often optional in many juice calculators, tis a way to thin down heavy VG ratios without using PG. One doesn't need to add either, but can. :D I'll add 3% Vodka to many established recipes to give them that extra panache.

Sweeteners?? Have found using the sweetness of the extract being used more than adequate, and using different flavors for influence does nicely.

It's best to start off with 8-15% flavor, keeping in mind some flavor extracts are much stronger and must be used with a light touch. Find if one is knowledgeable in the arts of Soups, Stocks and Sauces, mixing vape juice will be second nature. :D

Yeah I looked at that kit and realised I'd be paying more for less of the things I really care about. Nicotine is on my list, but not very high. 4mg does well for me nowadays. A 30ml bottle of 48mg should last me a good while. I'm not going to buy a gallon of VG just yet because I'm just getting started. But I think I will want to in the future. I'm glad I did a pretty decent job putting my list together. Now I can't wait to order it and mix.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
It's best to just get the minimum of lab gear, to get started and see where it takes you. I now mix juice batches or 300-400 mls at a time, stock up on supplies when I've pulled the 500 ml of 100 mg nic base out of the freezer to thaw, and try to stock enough supplies to last up to 18 months of vaping.

Have to laugh, when first started DIY mixing, would may a 10 ml batch for testing a new recipe, and then make 50 ml if proven good. Now I mix 100 ml of juice to test a new recipe, find it's easier to tweak if not quite right, and mix 300-400 ml batches of proven Select House Juice recipes.

Currently need to mix up at least 2 juices, but, heck could vape till 2015 with what is currently mixed up. Damn, really need some more Mad Eye's Pumpkin juice and frak, haven't had any Captain Blacks Cinful Delight for several months.:D Damn, getting lazy in me more mature years. lmao.

Am so glad I went DIY early into me vape path. Frak, just the savings on juice alone has paid for more than half me vape collection. Major savings and satisfaction are to be found in DIY juice mixing. Heck, since going DIY juice, there has never been a time when was nervous about running out of juice. :D

Vape long and Prosper.!!!!

True, I vape like 15 ml of juice a day, but with DIY, come out to like a buck a day to be able to vape. Frak, have to go way back in the WayBack to find that kind of price to get ones nic fix on. :D

yorg

Aug 1, 2014
N.Z
Those flavorings are pretty pricey. Try ecigexpress or wizardlabs, much better value for sample amounts.

One thing I might add, is that when starting out with DIY its easy to go clicking on every flavor that looks good. I did this and have alot of flavors I probably wont ever use. I would recommend checking out some good recipes and choosing the flavor ingredients you need. The Flavor Apprentice Flavoring Thread has some great recipes.
I'd also recommend getting some sweet cream, and sweet and tart flavor concentrates, as alot of fruit flavors benefit from these additions.

If you are a major tightwad/skinflint like me and want to start out as cheaply as possible, you can get by with left over bottles from pre-made juice, two disposable syringes (one each 1 ml and 10 ml), nic base in your choice of PG/VG, enough VG to accommodate the amount of nicotine you got, a jug of distilled water from the grocery store, some paper towels, and a few flavorings. Disposable gloves and eye protection are recommended. Patience and a willingness to learn from disappointing results will serve you well if you have them.

Some ejuice calculators called for water. I thought we were supposed to keep water out of our juice? I've seen recipes calling for liquid Stevia extract for sweetener? I might need to get some of that, I love fruit and dessert flavors.

Water is a fine addition, distilled water (DW) is usually recommended. Some of us forgo PG and just thin VG with water. There might (probably will) be some PG in the flavorings, but unless you react badly to it, so what? The point is it can be one less ingredient you have to buy online and keep track off, since DW can be gotten at a grocery store for about a buck a gallon. I will add here that each of us inhales a whole bunch of water every day, even desert dwellers, as water vapor.

If you go with stevia, make sure you get pure stevia; most supermarket products contain fillers and anti-caking agents that you don't want to vape. Search this DIY forum for "pure stevia", and you will find some good info on that. But do be aware that many fruit flavorings come pre-sweetened (usually with sucralose), so try each of your flavors alone so you get a feel for that (and just get to know the flavorings). In fact, even some tobacco flavorings are disgustingly sweet out of the bottle to some folks. You need to decide how it tastes to you, and then consider adding additional ingredients.

Last edited:

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
tooth picks. I use these when testing a recipe to add a little vape wizard or Acetyl Pyrazine. Trying something at 5mls a drop is WAY to much. swirl toothpick in mts vape wizard and then stir toothpick in test batch. Use this for sweetner or AP or other flavors you want to add a hint of to see if they work.

I bought a beaker to mix in but don't use it. I mix directly into the bottles. It is now the holder for my syringes and needles. Get lots of bottles. After christmas I plan on going a little crazy on some supplies. and 50 30 ml bottles

Get lots of 14 (3 or more) and 20 (5-10) blunt tip needles. You will use them especially the 20 gauge when mixing complex recipes.

I personally like:
wizard labs - flavors, nicotine ( good), supplies
bull city vapors - flavors, nicotine (good), pg/vg, supplies
nude nicotine - nicotine is best I have tasted. citric acid, malic acid, sweetner, large bottles, test vials - black friday sale on some items
vaping zone - the bavarian cream from here is great. They have some alcohol super concentrated flavors that seem expensive but you use so much less of these. problem is for me they have to steep a long time before the alcohol/chemical taste dissipates.

If you like menthol it is one of the easiest flavors to mix right out of the gate. A little menthol to taste, with a drop or two of vanilla or tobacco flavors (or both) in your base solution and you are ready to vape.

Water and booze in the recipes is just un-needed complication when you are getting started. Just have a gallon of distilled water for high vg mixes. I only add a few drops to an individual tank if it won't wick. since I mostly drip and don't have wicking issues in my fogger I add none. Most flavorings are going to be all pg so that is 10-20% pg depending on the recipe. If throat hit is missing add more nic.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
I mostly use syringes but I got a shot glass at Bed Bath and Beyond for around $3 that is marked in ml, oz, tsp and tbsp.

Syringes and sharp needles are cheap at farm supply stores.

I mix 10ml in 15ml bottles and 20 in 30 to leave room for shaking.

Don't mix large batches if you are new to vaping as your taste will change over time and you may not like something after a while.

Raztax

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2014
Nova Scotia
For bottles, I stick with 5ml for working on new recipes, and 30ml or larger for ones I am familiar with. I find 3ml bottles are a little small when you start adding say 1% of a flavor.
I use quite a few 1ml syringes 1 for each flavour when mixing to avoid cross contamination. I pay 10 cents each for them at my local walmart and shoppers drug mart pharmacies. I also find 3ml and 10ml syringes very handy to have around and even larger ones once you start mixing larger quantities.

rcromwell92

Aug 12, 2013
lompoc, CA, USA
Ejuice me up calculator, Mason jars, a 30 ml syringe an immersion blender that will fit through the mouth of the jars.... Mix up bigger batches. They are a lot easier. A 1/2ml mistake at 250 ml is no where near a 1\4 ml mistake at 10 or even 30 ml. There are additive flavors you will need depending on the flavors your making is: EM, AP, TFA sour etc and after mixed a way to steep. I recommend naturally but it takes a couple to three weeks

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Here's my blog on recommended supplies

Supplies

What you need to know as a first time juicer.

This blog is based on my own experiences and is written as my own personal opinion and should be taken as that only. Please remember to follow and observe all safety precautions.

Many new users wind up in the pit falls of what do I purchase and what do I not purchase. Many over think and over complicate there purchase and wind up spending far more money then they need to.

The Kit:

Many people will by a kit thinking this will give me exactly what I need. I don't really like kits because you get a lot of what you need but also stuff you don't need and you’re stuck with what ever quality they decide to give you which is usually the cheapest. My though is get what you need and not what you don’t need. It will usually be far cheaper and you get better quality.

Bottles:

If your going to steep your mix in hot water or in an Ultrasonic cleaner or intend to store your liquid supplies for a long period you will want to purchase glass bottles. Hard Plastic glass like bottles as they age may leach some of its polymer molecules into the mix which may be a health concern. Soft plastic squeeze bottles are not good choices for long term storage because they tend to leach oxygen through the bottle walls over a long period of time causing excess oxidation. Soft plastic squeeze bottles do not present a polymer leaching issue like the harder plastic bottles and are a better solution for short term storage.

To see more on steeping read my other blogs at:

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Soft squeeze luer lock needle tip bottles are wonderful to store your finished juices in and make it so easy to fill carto’s.

Recommended bottle sizes.

10, 10ml bottles (for test samples)
5, 30ml bottles

Syringes and measuring devices:

Fluid measuring devices are critical for accurate reproduction of a mix. There is nothing worst then using drops or haphazardly measuring and coming up with a fantastic juice and not being able to reproduce it. Exact electronic pipettes or calculating a dropper bottle to count how many drops to a ml may work for some but this can be a hassle. This is why I suggest using syringes and Graduated Cylinders.

Recommended syringes and Graduated Cylinder

Quantity 3, 1ml luer loc syringes
Quantity 3, 3ml syringes
Quantity 3, 10ml syringes
Quantity 1, 50ml Graduated Cylinder

I personally use a 50ml cylinder for measuring out my 1oz mix bases and measuring large quantities of base fluids.

As for luer lock needles the larger the gauge the easier fluid will pass through it.

Large = 14 - 18 gauge used for PG, and Nic solution. For measuring thick fluid like VG use a syringe without a needle attached.
Medium = 20 – 22 Gauge For PG (to thin for VG)
Small = 24 – 26 gauge for measuring PG and alcohol based flavors and can give a consistent small drop.

Safety and safety gear:

This should be self explanatory but remember Nicotine solution is toxic in large mg amounts so all safety precautions should be observed. In smaller amounts such as 12mg, 18mg, 24mg it’s not a serious issue just wash it off your skin right away. Larger quantities can be more serious especially if ingested.
I recommend viewing the following video and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

This is a must view video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOBDm8tSUEU&app=desktop

Recommended safety gear:

Rubber or latex gloves
* Goggles
* aprin

* Optional

I recommend my freedom smokes to get mixing supplies as they have the best assortment and best quality that I’ve found.

http://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/

I also have bought bulk syringes and bottles from Ebay and Amazon at a substantial savings.

The Calculator

One of the most helpful tools you could own is a mixing calculator. You can calculate your NIC base, VG, PG content and flavor percentages. Save your favorite recipes and notes, calculate NIC combining ratios etc... All in one easy to use handy tool and best of all there free.

I give the highest recommendation to the E-Juice me up calculator.

eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

So there you have it. All you need now are your flavors, PG solution, VG solution and NIC solution and you’re on your way. All I can say here is spend cautiously until you get the hang of it. Don't go out and by 100 flavors all at once or large quantities of your base solutions. It gets expensive and causes overload as what to make first with so much to choose from. 3 - 5 flavors are plenty to start off with.

My other vaping blogs can be seen at:

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Good luck and happy vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread