DIY nicotine questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_B_86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
QLD, Australia
I'm just curious about separation. I got a 1L bottle of 100mg 100%pg nic base. It took about 9 days to get to me in the post and I had it stored in the fridge for about 2 weeks. I opened it up once to mix up a few doublers that I had a week ago. Yesterday I poured it into 50ml amber glass bottles for storage in the freezer. I took it out of the fridge and left for about 20 minutes, gave it a quick shake for about 20-30 seconds before pouring it into the smaller bottles. It was stilla bit cold and a bit thicker than PG would normally be.

Is there any chance that the nicotine would separate from the PG base in any major way and that I would have some of the amber glass bottles with a higher concentration of nicotine than the others?. I haven't tried the bottles I mixed a week ago yet but I gave it a quick shake before I mixed them as well and got the nicotine solution from the top of the bottle using a syringe. Should these ones be alright?

One other question the nicotine was a slight pinkish orange colour in the bottle, and most of what I've been reading say it usually goes a yellowish colour. When I had it in a syringe it looked completely clear. Nothing to worry about there?

Last edited:

muranternet

Jul 25, 2014
St Paul, MN, USA
Color in the syringe should be clearer since you're not looking through as much solution as you are in a large bottle.

I always shake nic bottles before use, decanting, or whatever. PG is thin enough that a bit of agitation should disperse any hot spots. You can always pull 1ml out of whatever you're using and titrate it (after shaking).

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
You should be fine with what you've bottled. Just give them a small shake before using. Some NIC are clear some turn amberish some turn pink. The older the NIC is the more pronounced this color will be. It's nothing to worry about. This is caused by oxidation. Freezing your NIC will slow oxidation down. For the most part I've never herd of NIC separating once mixed into PG or VG but just to be on the safe side a little shaking before use is fine..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread