DIY start up help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KalThaxx

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2012
Cleveland
I am going to be purchasing everything for mixing my own juice. I have done a ton of research and I am conflicted on whether or not to buy a kit or not. I do not have anything other than empty bottles yet. Would I use everything in a kit or would I be better off just buying them separately? I was looking at a kit from onstopdiyshop or one from ecigexpress. Thanks for your opinions / advice.

also, are EM and sweetener the same or should I get both.

thanks again!

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
Everyone advised me against getting a kit. I did it anyway.

Did I spend money on items I didn't really need? Sure. But I have used almost all of them even though I could have lived without them. It also gave me a chance to find what I like to use and what I don't like. I also know I would have everything I needed to get started. That last thing is why I got the kit, and I do not regret doing it.

I got mine from One Stop DIY Shop. I still think it was a good deal. :)

KalThaxx

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2012
Cleveland
tidegirl:9463431 said:

Did I spend money on items I didn't really need? Sure. But I have used almost all of them even though I could have lived without them. It also gave me a chance to find what I like to use and what I don't like. I also know I would have everything I needed to get started. That last thing is why I got the kit, and I do not regret doing it.

Thanks, thats whay I have been thinking.

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Borrowing this for the second time from myself and another thread.

I have been DIYing since… well honestly since I started vaping. As I have just actually ordered quite a bit of supplies for my lab I think I'll add in my two cents and offer what I feel is a very comprehensive list for the conservative mad scientist that won't leave you going 'I have too many of this and too little of that!'

If you’re not too worried about shipping costs I suggest ordering from 4 Vendors:

1. Syringes (from Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products)
15x1cc
10x3cc
5x6cc
Total Cost (With Shipping): Approximately 12$

Why so many syringes? The markings can wear off, they can wear out, break, become lost and sometimes I'm just a little bit lazy.

2. Propylene Glycol/Vegetable Glycerine (from http://www.essentialdepot.com/)
1xGallon of PG
1xGallon of VG
Total Cost (with shipping): 48.06

Finding this is simple at the top of their page is a link to PG or VG, either link will offer (after scrolling a bit) the 1 Gallon of each with free shipping.

3. Nicotine Extract and Lab Supplies (from https://wizardlabs.us/)
125mL of 60mg is only 11.39 (and prices range up and down from here)
The quality of Nicotine is by review just the best (price is amazing too).
7x14ga Blunt Tip Needle (.65 cents per) I suggest this gauge for working with PG any combination of a few others wouldn't hurt.
Total: 4.55
When it comes to bottles, I suggest glass. I like how they can be cleaned out (just make sure to clean them properly and safely) and reused a lot more than plastic. Basically I'm just going to suggest glass and you can just pretty much halve the cost if you choose plastic.

5x60mL Amber Glass Bottle (1.19 per) (Storing base you decide to make once you've cut your Nic)
5x30mL Cobalt Blue Glass Bottle w/ Glass Dropper Top (If they are out of stock, go for the Amber and don't be afraid to use a 1cc Syringe to dip into it.) (.99 for Blue, .89 for Amber)
Total: 10.90
Another note on bottles, when I first started I ordered a lot of 3mL bottles, only a few 5mL and almost no 30-60mL bottles (boy did I regret it). You know just because you have a 30mL bottle, nothing is stopping you from mixing 3, 5, 6, 24mL in it.
Total (with Approximated Shipping): 34.84

4. Flavour Art Flavoring (EcigExpress | Electronic Cigarettes, e-Liquid and DIY Flavorings)
I am, always have been and probably always will be one who drinks from the fountain of awesome that is Flavour Art. Their true to life flavors are absolutely amazing, how little you have to use is also amazing. I say this every time with FA remember ‘Apple’ is Apple, a real Apple not the Runts Candy Artificial Flavoring Apple . So far this has held true for all the flavors I have tried from them. Also I use a maximum of 2.5% flavoring in any recipe – I mix at 50% PG/50% VG, 9-12mg Strength without sweeteners (they’re sweet enough on their own). I usually use a glass bottle and give it a boiling water bath to speed up steeping process. (I include all this bonus information so you have the highest chance of replicating what I experience instead of just saying, I use 2.5%).

I suggest to pick at least 5 flavors you think/know you will like and purchase them. Almost all (if not all) non-tobacco flavors cost 3.99 for a 10mL bottle. I at first felt like this was a huge risk considering other vendors sell their flavorings in much lower quantities for slightly less price meaning with my budget I had to carefully pick flavors my first time. I have yet to be dissatisfied with any FA flavoring. It is worth noting some of the flavors sold here do contain Diacetyl which is harmful and should be avoided (its noted even in the brief description however so they are easy to spot/avoid).

Total cost (of 5 flavors with Approximated shipping): 23.94

This brings you to a total cost of:
$118.84
Feels a bit steep and the biggest cost being the PG/VG (though honestly it will be more than likely over a year’s supply and you also have the option of simply ordering your PG/VG through Wizard Labs at lower quantity and thus lower cost).

This is actually the set up I wish I had purchased from the get-go. If you have any questions or such feel free to contact me. A few things I may have left out such as safety equipment (gloves and such) can easily be purchased at just about any store locally or any vendor listed here.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
I chose to go against the kit and piece the items together from My Freedom Smokes- I started with a liter each of PG and VG, 250ml of nic juice, syringes 30ml and 3ml. a 20ml graduated cylinder, a funnel, and some flavors. On my second order I realized some other things would come in handy like yorker caps for the liter sized bottles, smaller syringes, and a smaller bottle to keep nic juice in.

I started small and keep adding on to my collection, once you get started making your own juice is fun and addictive plus saves you tons of money while getting the juices you want when you want

:vapor:

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
** One last tip too that I should mention- more experienced DIY members of this forum suggested I get small 3-6ml bottles and run test batches of everything before mixing 20-30ml large batches.

I now swear by this also, always start small

:D

I picked up one (well, two- they were in a pack) ok those connected paint cup things for a few bucks at Michaels. Here they are on amazon for $0.44 each. Amazon.com: Speedball Art Products Mona Lisa Mix & Save Reusable Paint Cup Strips: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Now I have 16 test batch sealable cups, and they are easier to fill than a 3 ml bottle.

DO NOT attempt to use those daily pill reminder boxes. They do not seal. Don't ask how I know this. :oops:

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA

Thanks! I've been looking at their kits and think I may buy one. It just looks like a good way to try out DIY and figure out if it's something I want to pursue on a larger scale. Then, if DIY happens to turn into one of those other unfinished hobbies I stored away in a dark closet, I'm not out a lot of $$.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY

cedric212

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
+1 Against the kit

If you want to experiment DIYing I would go with something simple like this:

48mg Nicotine solution - 60ml (in 100%pg) - modify accordingly to your preference
Vegetable Glycerin - 60ml
14ga Blunt Tip Luer-Lock Needle 1.5" - Quantity Discounts
10ml Luer Lock Syringe - Quantity Discounts
= $12.27 (after shipping) = enough nic and VG to make 120mL of eliquid @ 24mg 50/50 PG/VG + 1 10mL syringe

Vaping Zone SC flavoring (IMO, more forgiving than TFA/LA flavoring) 5*$3.99/5mL+$5 Shipping=$24.95

Total=$37.22​

Just do a 1:1 mixing ratio for the nic and vg to get a 24mg/ml 50/50 PG/VG base. Then add 1 drop of flavoring per mL of base (flavoring comes in dropper bottles), run mixture in warm water and shake (steep 24-48hrs if necessary). Fill and vape.

If you determine DIYing is for you, then invest in glasswares as suppose to plastic.

Last edited:

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I agree with xylocaine on almost everything posted except i don't like flavour art.

Also, Essential Depot is right now running a special on gallons of PG and VG. If you buy a gallon of each, shipping is free in the lower 48. You can also buy smaller quanties like a quart or pint of pg/vg from amazon. If you have a prime membership, you dont pay shipping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread