Does this list look good enough to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
I like 18 mg Strawberry and my husband likes 18 mg Coffee in 50 PG/50 VG.

I would like to try DIY, so after a lot of reading, I purchased these items:

250 ml, 36 mg PG from Box Elder
177 ml USP Humco glycerin from Walmart
10 ml FlavourArt Strawberry from ecigexpress
10 ml FlavourArt Coffee Espresso from ecigexpress
sample from Ez-Sweetz

I don't have any safety or measuring equipment yet, but I do have a 2 ml blunt syringe coming with a battery order from Liberty-Flights.

I've downloaded the spreadsheet calculator.

I looked at the percentages for flavor and thought I would start with 10% strawberry and 2% Coffee.

Am planning to use the empty bottles from the Strawberry and Coffee juices we've tried.

Is there a remote possibility that I will end up with something vapable? This is the safest beginner approach I could think of.

I would really appreciate any comments.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Sounds pretty good. You can get some 3ml syringes from your local drugstore for @20 cents apiece. I use 1 syringe per bottle, so one for the nic pg one for each flavor and one for the vg. I only use them once or you can rinse them out, but I don't.

Thank you so much. Do I need syringes with needles? I just remembered that I have some new 5 ml syringes (no needle) that I've saved from kids' medicine.

Lady M

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Oregon
On your coffee that is a very strong flavor You are very wise to start at 2% and make sure to let your flavors steep for a few days. On the Strawberry I use the Signature and found 15% flavor but I like a good strong flavor also pure vg tends to mute the flavors a bit I mix at 70% pg with 30% vg . Good luck with your mixing and have fun. Also the ejuicemeup calculator is wonderful tool , and Flavor Art tends to be stronger than other flavor lines.

Last edited:

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Hi Lady M :)

Thanks for replying, is Signature a better line of FlavourArt? I bought from ecigexpress and they arrived today, but I don't have my nic juice yet, otherwise I am ready to play with science. The flavors are rebottled with a label with just the flavor name and size (10 ml).

Coffee is very strong! I could smell it when I opened the mail box.

I will have to experiment with strawberry. I love VaporBomb's strawberry, it's the only one I've purchased and many people have posted that they think it's too weak, so I'll try 10% first and move up from there. Do you add sweetener to your strawberry?

I'll try the ejuicemeup calculator - thanks!

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
How cool! I just got some DIY stuff, but am still working up the nerve to try making my own.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

I will, I can't wait to get started. Thanks!

I feel pretty secure with the idea of working with 36 mg, hopefully it will just come down to getting the right percentages with simple flavors.

What I am most worried about is this sickeningly sweet smell that some of our purchased juices have. I tried asking about it last night on the regular forum and some people think it's Dekang, but others said no way. I wish I could find out what that is and how to avoid it, and I wish I could describe the smell better, last night I thought maybe fermented burnt peanuts. I think it has something to do with extracted nicotine in the US vs. China, but after hours of reading, I still wasn't close to an answer.

Shantia

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Flavor art is a very very strong concentrate, be careful with your %'s and in my experience the flavor art flavors do change dramatically as they age. For me, its not usually for the better *frown*. The perfumers apprentice flavorings, are good fresh or steeped. The perfumers apprentice flavors are the 'signature' flavors on ecigexpress.

As for the sickening sweet taste/smell i know exactly what you mean. Dont know what it's from but i've gotten some flavors that all tasted the same in the past and all had that nauseating sweetness. I don't think you have to worry about that in DIY, i havent ever gotten that flavor from mixing my own juice.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Uh oh, sounds like I should have went that route instead. Do you think I should lower the strawberry to 5% to start and coffee to 1%?

If I'm any good at this, I'll order Signature flavors next. How much aging created a dramatic flavor difference? Do you know if the flavor gets stronger in PG or VG or either? I'm going to make 50/50 to start.

I am really glad to hear about the weird taste/smell, that's my biggest concern, and is why I've only been ordering from VaporBomb.

Thanks for your help Shantia! It's so good to have all this information before I begin

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don’t use syringes that much anymore. Too much hassle to clean them. I just adjusted my DIY recipes for the differences in drop size of my base nicotine, PG/VG and flavoring drops.

But if you are going to use syringes they make what is called a “Dispensing Needle” which has a blunt tip. If you buy Luer-Lok type syringes, then you can use any type of Luer-Lok tip made. And they make a bunch.

http://www.svrronline.com/images/SVRR accessories 005.jpg

Much safer to work with than regular syringes.

mrtiedye

Apr 1, 2011
Georgia
Personally, I use pipettes for measuring. I have one dedicated to nicotine juice, one for pg and one for vg. I keep them each in their own ziploc baggie, so no need to constantly clean them. I generally mix such small amounts that I measure the flavor in drops, although I do have one pipette dedicated to cotton candy, my favorite flavor so far. I started mixing 3 ml at a time. This seemed to be enough that the measurements weren't too small, but not so much that I felt like I was wasting a lot. Also, I found that if I mixed some juice and vaped it immediately, it tasted horrible. I have learned to mix it, then let it sit for at least 24 hours. Good luck on your DIY adventure!

Last edited:

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
That's great Animeguy, I need to go to CVS and ask too. I really like the Luer-loc 14g blunt needle I got from Liberty-Flights for VG.

Well, I did it. It was much easier than I thought.

I made a 50 PG/49 VG/1% coffee and a 50 PG/42.5 VG/7.5% strawberry, both 18 mg. The coffee smells strong already. Both are clear/colorless with only the flavor smell.

So, tomorrow night we'll see what they taste like :)

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
The expresso coffee is perfect, 24 hours later. Now to find out if it keeps getting stronger with age. I know everyone says to start small, but my husband will vape anything, so I went big because it was easier. It tastes like a fresh brewed cup of coffee (to me, who's very picky):

Coffee 18 mg, 15 ml

7.5 ml 36 mg PG
7.5 ml VG
4 drops FlavourArt Expresso Coffee
1 drop EZ-Sweetz

The strawberry is blah, not much flavor, but vapable. I started with 7.5% flavoring. Am adding a bit more flavor and will let it sit another day.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Good deal on the Coffee…

Now you have what I call a “Base Mix”. Give it a day or so more and if you are Completely satisfied with it, make 30 or 40ml of it.

Then you can start coloring outside the lines with other flavors. Maybe 5ml Base Mix with a drop or 2 of Hazelnut. Perhaps Irish Cream and Cinnamon Swirl. Or what ever.

The cool thing about Base mixes is you that you have something that can be enhanced with very little effort.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Good deal on the Coffee…

Now you have what I call a “Base Mix”. Give it a day or so more and if you are Completely satisfied with it, make 30 or 40ml of it.

Then you can start coloring outside the lines with other flavors. Maybe 5ml Base Mix with a drop or 2 of Hazelnut. Perhaps Irish Cream and Cinnamon Swirl. Or what ever.

The cool thing about Base mixes is you that you have something that can be enhanced with very little effort.

Thanks! All those flavors sound great, I need to place another order for coffee spikers :)

I am sure glad I read about how strong the FA coffee flavor was as I would have been tempted to go much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread