Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Im going to order supplies soon and try my hand at making my own juice. I was thinking Nicotine River maybe for the kit they offer with everything and 15 flavors of my choice. Is Nicotine River a reputable source for supplies? Or is there any other suppliers i should look at?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Nicotine River is a reputable vendor (from what I have read), and know of several (at least) ECF participants who use them regularly.

I am not a huge fan of kits personally; but that is a matter of personal choice. I am a cheap bugger, and am willing to spend the additional time to find the best value, rather than pay a mark-up for the convenience of one stop shopping. Other find their time extremely valuable, and are happy to pay more to save time. And, as @bombastinator mentioned, "how much" of the kit's items you will actually use.

The $50 kit I see on NR's website doesn't seem out of line. It looks like you would be getting somewhere between $19-$34 worth of flavor concentrates (depending on flavor/brand selected). And the balance would be applied towards: the liter of base (PG and/or VG), 150mL of 48mg/mL nic, and misc. mixing hardware. If it all gets used, and if shipping isn't much, it seems like an alright price (and certainly better than others I have looked at in the past).

If, after trying your hand at DIY, and if you decide you like it, then you might want to look at using various vendors for specific needs (e.g. concentrates from vendor "A," bases from vendor "B," and nic from vendor "C"). Buying in larger quantities, and cheaper price points, can more than offset the price of paying multiple shipping charges.

You are smart to start off slow, and buy small quantities, until you know that this is something that you will want to pursue. Keeping it simple is always a wise practice.:D

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I also looked at the kit. It could be worse gloves are pointless at these nicotine levels, and there are way more syringes and needles than you really need. The bottles could be mildly handy. I simply reuse bottles myself. I would say if the liquid supplies themselves are worth the price, (the 25% off and free shipping will help if you buy 1 cent more stuff) then it’s worth it​

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Another suggestion. Before choosing your 15 flavors, check out the DIY section under E Liquid Forum. Look over some recipes that sound good to you and get those flavorings in the kit. If you just go off what the flavoring's name is, there's a good chance over half will turn out no so great. Also remember, taste is subjective. What I like you might hate, and we're both right in the context of flavors. Still you can break it up into grouping if you know your preference. So nicotine like juices, fruits,custards and whatnot. I've gotten at least a dozen flavors laying around the I got when I started DIY. I don't know what I was thinking to buy them. :facepalm:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I've used NR and shipping was quick. I have 3 of their Purlium flavors and am find them to be tasty. I particularly enjoy the Pur meringue. No egginess and has a nice light sweetness that lingers on the lips. works well as a stand alone & in recipes. The Pur raspberry is also good, not too sweet or perfumey. Very much enjoy the Pur white grape, nice soft grape.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nicotine river is the only supplier I use. Prices are good, their nicotine is great, good customer service and fast shipping. There is no reason not to get a kit if you think it will be helpful but be prepared to buy more flavors as you may not like some of them...

Best of luck,

Anna

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Nicotine River is a reputable vendor (from what I have read), and know of several (at least) ECF participants who use them regularly.

I am not a huge fan of kits personally; but that is a matter of personal choice. I am a cheap bugger, and am willing to spend the additional time to find the best value, rather than pay a mark-up for the convenience of one stop shopping. Other find their time extremely valuable, and are happy to pay more to save time. And, as @bombastinator mentioned, "how much" of the kit's items you will actually use.

The $50 kit I see on NR's website doesn't seem out of line. It looks like you would be getting somewhere between $19-$34 worth of flavor concentrates (depending on flavor/brand selected). And the balance would be applied towards: the liter of base (PG and/or VG), 150mL of 48mg/mL nic, and misc. mixing hardware. If it all gets used, and if shipping isn't much, it seems like an alright price (and certainly better than others I have looked at in the past).

If, after trying your hand at DIY, and if you decide you like it, then you might want to look at using various vendors for specific needs (e.g. concentrates from vendor "A," bases from vendor "B," and nic from vendor "C"). Buying in larger quantities, and cheaper price points, can more than offset the price of paying multiple shipping charges.

You are smart to start off slow, and buy small quantities, until you know that this is something that you will want to pursue. Keeping it simple is always a wise practice.:D
That is kinda my general idea. The kit does contain useful hardware as well, stuff that i would use more than once.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I've used NR and shipping was quick. I have 3 of their Purlium flavors and am find them to be tasty. I particularly enjoy the Pur meringue. No egginess and has a nice light sweetness that lingers on the lips. works well as a stand alone & in recipes. The Pur raspberry is also good, not too sweet or perfumey. Very much enjoy the Pur white grape, nice soft grape.

I bought several of their Purilum flavors. The sweet tobacco, couple of pecan ones, custard and few more. So far I think they are great. Probably going to try more of them. The flavor is right on and no chemical tastes.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I bought several of their Purilum flavors. The sweet tobacco, couple of pecan ones, custard and few more. So far I think they are great. Probably going to try more of them. The flavor is right on and no chemical tastes.
I want to try more as well. Have already spent this holiday's allowance. lol Christmas sales are coming up tho.:D

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I will echo much of what has been said here:

Kits contain extra stuff you don't need.
Look at recipes that you think you want to make and order your flavors for those recipes.
GET A SCALE It really is easier. Mixing By Weight: Basics 101
Order 100mg/ml Nic. and your VG and PG separately, not premixed. It will be more versatile and economical.

For hardware: I would order the following:

Scale
Beakers:
2 50ml
1 100ml
1 250ml
Glass funnel (2)
Glass stir rod (2)
Dropper Bottles (As needed)
Syringes: (sometimes handy for measuring for adjustment)
2 1ml
2 5ml

Do let us know how things work out on your first mix and if you have any question
on weighing, feel free to ask in the thread mentioned above and we will get you straight.

Happy Mixing
SPqDHEu.gif

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I do already have a decent digital kitchen scale, so i see it getting used for this.

As long as it goes to hundreths ( .00 ) it will be fine. There are several suggestions in the Weigh 101 thread for relatively inexpensive scales if you need one. If you are going to get in to DIY to any depth, I believe you will find weight based a lot easier, cleaner and more efficient.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
^^^^What Capt. Shay said.

Use the scales and the mix becomes a convenient additive process from the drops created by the original bottles. Flavor bottles come with dropper tops. You can transfer directly from the Nic bottle to the bottle on the scale using a dropper instead of measuring in syringes. For the PG and VG, fill up a condiment bottle (think Catsup type squeeze bottle) for PG and VG from your original PG and VG quarts or gallons and just squeeze the bottle lightly until the scale registers the weight for PG or VG from your recipe calculator.

Lots of ECF'ers like the liquid measurement using syringes and lots of us like the scale method. Either is convenient, depending on your preference, but I like mixing by weight. The bottle goes on the scale and all I have to do is refer to the recipe for milligram weights of the components and add each in order while watching the display on the scale and taring it to zero after each pour.

This video covers most of what you need to know to get started mixing by weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread