Diy with flavouring from food/ herbs e.g mint leaves, vanilla pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeman

Sep 28, 2019
Does anyone know about making your own flavoured juices directly from a plant rather than a food flavouring liquid product? I do know that some herbalists will make plant extracts using vegetable glycerin as some people do not want to use the alchohol based extracts. I tried making with vanialla pod and another juice with mint leaf. It worked quite well. The mint leaf was really quite nice. I put it directly in the tank and it gave flavour almost instantly and was strong enough for my tastes after a few minutes. The vanilla pod (a small piece of one) I put in the bottle and is quite subtle but I think it is nice. I will probably make some more and see about filtering it with a coffee filter or making a tea bag to put it in. It does seem to have broken up into small bits that could cause clogging but not such a big deal if you change wicks regularly anyway. I am not sure how long these would last or that much besides but tend to think this might be safer and better than using food flavourings. Presumably it is best to make them fresh. I am not such a fan of menthol but as far as it goes this mint was quite nice so maybe worth a try if you are a mint/ menthol fan. I am interested if anyone has any ideas of other plants that might work good for flavouring and any info and ideas on this topic. Off the top of my head I might try some dried plums or cherries. Course it might not be such a good idea with some things and I really don't know much about it but I have bought flavours that were dodgy so I would rather go with the vanilla pod for now as it seems quite ok and not waste money buying juices that are usually not any good. Vanilla is actually one of the ones that I managed to find that was ok but most of the flavours I bought were not to by liking and some caused sore throat and were harsh where as this I think is better way to make juices. I actually think flavours have been a hindrance to my vaping experience and it was only when I started thinning them out that they didn't interfere so much. I'd rather have no flavour at all than some of these liquids I have bought. The last time I bought liquid I did ok by trying to sense the energy of the bottle. Certainly they are ok compared to some I have bought before. Anyway let me know if you know anything about this topic. Maybe some of the better commercialy sold juices are made this way?

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I'd rather have no flavour at all than some of these liquids I have bought.
IMO,
I think you would be better off just vaping unflavored nicotine base.

Since the chemicals that make up the flavors are the same regardless of the source, natural or synthetic; many folks are more comfortable using the synthetic versions that do not contain extra sugars or botanical residues.
If you are trying to avoid ethanol, there are options for flavorings in VG/PG or other dilutants.

Where are you located?

Cheers
I

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Does anyone know about making your own flavoured juices directly from a plant rather than a food flavouring liquid product? I do know that some herbalists will make plant extracts using vegetable glycerin as some people do not want to use the alchohol based extracts.

Vaping essential oils could give you lipoid pneumonia and make you an EVALI statistic.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I actually think flavours have been a hindrance to my vaping experience and it was only when I started thinning them out that they didn't interfere so much. I'd rather have no flavour at all than some of these liquids I have bought.
If I didnt discover unflavoured I wouldnt have kept vaping. Not many pleasant vape flavours as far as Im concerned.
The last time I bought liquid I did ok by trying to sense the energy of the bottle.
Wut?

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Several issues: oils, sugars, particulates. It can be done, but do your homework on those issues! I used to be a "herbalist" and made medicinal extracts using ethanol (everclear) For particulates, you need a much better filter than that (read the natural tobacco extraction info) You can use alcohol (like 100 proof vodka) and evaporate the alcohol out after it's done (I did this with bourbon and coffee but didn't filter it good enough) Sugars will clog the heck out of your coils/wicks. Most people here will tell you don't even go there (wussies) but if you don't do research, you could end up wishing you took their advice. I am still considering this myself. I suppose SMALL amounts of oils (like in mint) might not be too bad (in moderation!) but that would be the most risky part of doing this. Do you do MTL, DL or clouds? How much you vape has to be considered. Vaping large amounts of anything with oils is a bad idea. A couple ml a day MTL would be better.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Does anyone know about making your own flavoured juices directly from a plant rather than a food flavouring liquid product? I do know that some herbalists will make plant extracts using vegetable glycerin as some people do not want to use the alchohol based extracts.
Vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol are both classified as water soluable "alcohol" based extracts. Look it up.

Reactions: stols001

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Does anyone know about making your own flavoured juices directly from a plant rather than a food flavouring liquid product? I do know that some herbalists will make plant extracts using vegetable glycerin as some people do not want to use the alchohol based extracts. I tried making with vanialla pod and another juice with mint leaf. It worked quite well. The mint leaf was really quite nice. I put it directly in the tank and it gave flavour almost instantly and was strong enough for my tastes after a few minutes. The vanilla pod (a small piece of one) I put in the bottle and is quite subtle but I think it is nice. I will probably make some more and see about filtering it with a coffee filter or making a tea bag to put it in. It does seem to have broken up into small bits that could cause clogging but not such a big deal if you change wicks regularly anyway. I am not sure how long these would last or that much besides but tend to think this might be safer and better than using food flavourings. Presumably it is best to make them fresh. I am not such a fan of menthol but as far as it goes this mint was quite nice so maybe worth a try if you are a mint/ menthol fan. I am interested if anyone has any ideas of other plants that might work good for flavouring and any info and ideas on this topic. Off the top of my head I might try some dried plums or cherries. Course it might not be such a good idea with some things and I really don't know much about it but I have bought flavours that were dodgy so I would rather go with the vanilla pod for now as it seems quite ok and not waste money buying juices that are usually not any good. Vanilla is actually one of the ones that I managed to find that was ok but most of the flavours I bought were not to by liking and some caused sore throat and were harsh where as this I think is better way to make juices. I actually think flavours have been a hindrance to my vaping experience and it was only when I started thinning them out that they didn't interfere so much. I'd rather have no flavour at all than some of these liquids I have bought. The last time I bought liquid I did ok by trying to sense the energy of the bottle. Certainly they are ok compared to some I have bought before. Anyway let me know if you know anything about this topic. Maybe some of the better commercialy sold juices are made this way?

What you speak of is very common in the extraction forum Liquid Extraction From Tobacco and well worth the effort you put into it.
What others say about selecting your plant materials carefully is also very true because they can have harmful oils and poisonous components which you want to stay away from. Vanilla bean and mint leafs are very safe, which means you started with a very good selection. Coffee and tobacco are also very popular materials to work with.

I would think if your using a PG extraction method the end result should only be trace amounts of oil which would not be much of a health concern.
If your using an alcohol method to make a really concentrated extract by evaporating away the alcohol at the end of the process, then oil will be a concern and that concentrate needs to be used as a flavoring, Meaning needing to be diluted in a PG/VG base before use and NEVER vaped straight.
Oil laced products that are killing people are products like THC where extra oil is intentionally added to dilute the THC extract. This is not what your doing in your process so no need to worry.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I know enough to know that you would SINCERELY and I mean this like study it from a chemistry perspective to figure out your own flavors I have heard of a few folks using some tea or whatever, but really you would have to know just a TON to be safe.

To be frank I once shoved a couple drops of burgundy wine (cooking wine) in my vape when I was playing with vodka (which is safe, actually) and well, it caramelized almost instantly on my coil, the vape tasted quite good, and the whole house STUNK of curry. The husband asked I cease and desist, it was that pungent.

I was gonna anyway, I knew it was a bad idea I vaped it for about 15 minutes I just had to give it a shot.

This is in no way encouragement. Trying something once out of curiosity is one thing... habitual flavors, another.

Knowing what I know now (heck even then) I most likely should have not complotted the experiment. I'm fine. But with that said I have done MUCH dumb stuff over the years, that included.

Shame though the vape was kinda neat but yes it was dumb.

Anan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread