DNA 40, NR, Nickel Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmstwwng

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2014
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia
Hi! Thinking of venture into temperature control. Got myself a Vaporshark rDNA 40 and some Ni200 wire. Build my first build 0.18 ohm 2.5 mm on Derringer, juice it and vape until dry with temp set to 410-430f. Notice dark coil & cotton. Recoil again, this time 0.15 ohm on 3 mm. Wick and vape at temp 410-425f. Coil dark again. Am I doing something wrong?
image.jpg
image.jpg

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Hi! Thinking of venture into temperature control. Got myself a Vaporshark rDNA 40 and some Ni200 wire. Build my first build 0.18 ohm 2.5 mm on Derringer, juice it and vape until dry with temp set to 410-430f. Notice dark coil & cotton. Recoil again, this time 0.15 ohm on 3 mm. Wick and vape at temp 410-425f. Coil dark again. Am I doing something wrong?
View attachment 473257 View attachment 473258

thmstwwng,

It looks fine to me. I think you have just forgotten what a Kanthal coil would have looked like after the same use. :)

Reactions: thmstwwng

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Hi HolmanGT, you mean it's normal. I got this idea on TC the coil & wick look as new. How do I clean it?

thmstwwng,

Well... If my coil looked like that when I checked it cleaning wouldn't even enter my mind. As far as cleaning when mine get a little gunked up and the wick is starting to get dark in color I pull the wick and use one of those little brushes that come with an electric razor or sometime just a cotton swab.

But the picture you post would just have me smiling thinking to my self "don't have to worry about that puppy". ;)

IMHO the dark windings in the center just look like a little heat discoloring and absolutely nothing to worry about. :2c:

PS - if it is heat discoloring you can't clean it off it is the metal itself that has taken on a color.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
View attachment 473257 View attachment 473258

That is the normal the color changes a bit when it first get heated up. You shouldn't see it get any darker.. That's pretty much it.
I just got into Temp about 2 months ago as well. Also have a DNA40, I did a bunch of texting trying to figure out the best ohms most people have said to reach for .14. I find for myself keeping it between .10-.11 for best flavor and run it at 26W at 460f

That being said experiment a bit, the color looks fine to me.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok just received my hobo 3.1, still testing builds this is a 28g ni200 twisted 3mm 10 wrap sitting at .10 View attachment 473768

Please enlighten me as to what the right terminology of this coil is called. What do you call a coil that runs between the posts?
I'm experimenting with these coils never had a 2post Atty so it's new to me. What do you guys think of coils running between the posts do you notice a difference in Vape, Tempature etc.?

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
After 2 days. Is this normal? Looks quite dark.

Looks great to me. There will always be some gunk. The advantage of TC to me is that I don't have to worry about keeping my wicks wet and it's easy to notice when performance decreases, without damaging the wicks or tasting horrible. I often vape the wicks nearly dry to switch flavors. After 3 weeks of use my coils look much much worse than the one you posted but they still vape alright. Making sure that your current temp is doing a proper job at avoiding wick scorching is something that can't be quickly checked after gunk has formed. In my experience, you can only check for wick scorching after taking the wick and giving it a quick rinse under some hot water. The gunk will wash right of and you can see that the wick is undamaged.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I like your thinking, how has the setup worked out for you. I'm thinking about this setup on my Velocity RDA.

I've tried some other twists 32x32 28x32 with less wraps but it wasn't until I hit 10 wraps that the flavor really started to hit. So right now the 28x28 is knocking the flavor out of the park. All my builds are kept between .10-.11 because thats what I found in the past works best with my vaporshark.

I have not run dual coils, I really should test it once or twice. I just feel the dna40 might have not be able to push that much coil so well. But this is just my guess and why I have left it alone. I think people who are doing this are pushing higher temps like 500+ and that to me defeats the purpose of a dna40. just my 2cents. What are your guys experiences with dual coil ni200 builds on a dna40

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I've tried some other twists 32x32 28x32 with less wraps but it wasn't until I hit 10 wraps that the flavor really started to hit. So right now the 28x28 is knocking the flavor out of the park. All my builds are kept between .10-.11 because thats what I found in the past works best with my vaporshark.

I have not run dual coils, I really should test it once or twice. I just feel the dna40 might have not be able to push that much coil so well. But this is just my guess and why I have left it alone. I think people who are doing this are pushing higher temps like 500+ and that to me defeats the purpose of a dna40. just my 2cents. What are your guys experiences with dual coil ni200 builds on a dna40

I've tried 28ga dual coil on the Velocity and Magma. Both times I preferred single coil but for different reasons. With the Velocity...I'm thinking due to the larger chamber I needed more power for it to really shine. I got a pretty good vape but near maxed it out to do it. With single coil on the Velocity I'm loving it, great vape and have some headroom left.

The Magma to me is a warm vape already probably due to the smaller domed chamber. My DNA 40 powers dual coil fine with it and plenty of headroom left. I just prefer a single coil vape more with the Magma. Same with Kanthal on the Magma, I preferred single.

My current build, just finished about 2 hours ago is twisted 30ga on the Velocity, so far I'm liking it a lot. I hated fooling with 30ga previously and haven't for a long time but I figured I need to do something with this 100ft spool so I twisted some up and I'm glad I did, now I've got a use for it.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Ok so I built a twisted double 28 gauge 10 wrap Ni200 coil on my Kayfun Monster. Came out to .08. I've noticed whatever DNA 40 mod I put it on the temp shoots crazy high past my set temp but only when I'm not taking a puff. For example, I have it set to 440° F and when I hit the fire button it'll rocket past 440, sometimes going past the 600° Mark. I double checked my coil connections, wires are wrapped under the entire underside of the screws and tight. It vapes fine but just wondering why the temp gets squirrly when I hit the button without taking a drag. Doesn't happen when I actually vape it tho.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Ok so I built a twisted double 28 gauge 10 wrap Ni200 coil on my Kayfun Monster. Came out to .08. I've noticed whatever DNA 40 mod I put it on the temp shoots crazy high past my set temp but only when I'm not taking a puff. For example, I have it set to 440° F and when I hit the fire button it'll rocket past 440, sometimes going past the 600° Mark. I double checked my coil connections, wires are wrapped under the entire underside of the screws and tight. It vapes fine but just wondering why the temp gets squirrly when I hit the button without taking a drag. Doesn't happen when I actually vape it tho.
.10Ω is the minimum on a DNA40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread